Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Re-viewed the 1981 team win the Natty on YouTube
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Re-viewed the 1981 team win the Natty on YouTube

Jan 14, 2019, 1:12 PM

A few thoughts...

1. I've gotten spoiled by looking at games on an HD big-screen television.
2. Instant replay and on-field first-down-line graphics are habit-forming. (So are hyphens.)
3. There were quite a few hits in that game that would not be allowed in today's game.
4. Tear-away jerseys were really "tear-away."
5. Nebraska coaches with their white pants and white belts looked like a bunch of lounge singers.

But seriously . . .
6. The Clemson defense back in the day was just as dominant as it is today. There were quite a few Clemson take-aways created by smash-mouth football.
7. Homer Jordan was a really good quarterback, but not as good as DW4 or TL16. He was more like KB2. (Who?) But he won a Natty!!! Go, Homer!!!
8. Danny Ford looked really young and not as comfortable on-camera as CDS.
9. Our defense kept Nebraska out of the endzone in the same way we kept Alabama out.
10. Head coach Dr. (?) Tom Osborne had the same sick look on his face as Coach Nick Saban did in the fourth quarter. They both had their little fits of temper!!!
11. It was really good to hear the names of Tiger greats like Homer Jordan, Cliff Austin, Kevin Mack, Perry Tuttle, Jeff Stockstill, Bubba Diggs, Dan Benish, Andy Headen, Jeff Davis, Donald Igwebuike, and Hollis Hall. To hear the TV announcers call their names gave me a nice warm feeling as if I was at a family reunion, seeing folks I'd missed but didn't quite realize it.

Despite relishing the greatness of that team and that era, I could not help but mentally return to the scenes of this year's game, knowing that the "best is yet to come."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Danny was 33 years old at the time that game was played

Jan 14, 2019, 1:22 PM

and was only 41 when he left Clemson. Dabo will be 50 in November, though he's still relatively young for a HC.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Danny was 33 years old at the time that game was played

Jan 14, 2019, 2:15 PM

Had forgotten he was only 33.

Thought about the ending of this game...

Jan 14, 2019, 3:24 PM

...as we ran out the clock last Monday. Dominant ball control both times.

Re: Re-viewed the 1981 team win the Natty on YouTube

Jan 14, 2019, 3:28 PM

How bout all the mustaches in the player bios? Some real solid creepy caterpillars on like 90% of the players from both teams!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic