Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
this ESPN thing is getting absolutely rediculous.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

this ESPN thing is getting absolutely rediculous.

Oct 5, 2015, 4:19 PM

Now we have people saying that kirk herbstreet said "now we are back in it" when nd made it an eight point game. Haha, wow. He never even said anything close to that. Now we have people so obsessed with hating ESPN that they are flat out making stuff up trying to fit their agenda.

Do you know how this makes us look? Like a bunch of whinny, crybabies that didn't get their way so they are throwing a fit. Boohoo, ESPN didn't pick us, boohoo, they hate us, boohoo, they talked about another team, boohoo, Herbie said this or that.

Give it a rest, ESPN does not hate Clemson. The whole college game day crew was very good to Clemson and its fans. There have been multiple tweets from ESPN employees praising Clemson and our fans. Just because they didn't pick us to win does not mean they hate us. Maybe it was because we were playing the #6 team in the country. I mean what do you expect them to say about us, that we are the best team they have ever seen and no one will ever beat us?

There is some bias with ESPN and the sec. I'm not saying they are perfect. But they do not hate Clemson. There is no hidden agenda or tin foil antenna conspiracys. Stop crying and whining about espn.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you.

Oct 5, 2015, 4:22 PM

And let them keep picking everyone else. It seems to be working out great for us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: this ESPN thing is getting absolutely rediculous.

Oct 5, 2015, 4:23 PM

Right on Lex. I wonder how much money Clemson and the ACC got for this hate fest?

yeah, Herbie ain't the unprofessional sort to say

Oct 5, 2015, 4:23 PM

something like that.

That being said, in the age of "whoever dies with the most dollars wins"

don't expect ESPN to go merrily along and not protect it's investment in the SEC.

It's called "business strategy" or "brand management" - and it's a little different than "tin-foil" reception.

+1 for the intent -

C- for the execution.

What about their commitment to the ACC?

Oct 5, 2015, 4:26 PM

Who would they have on a Espn News or ESPN3 if the ACC wasn't around?

Re: yeah, Herbie ain't the unprofessional sort to say

Oct 5, 2015, 4:37 PM [ in reply to yeah, Herbie ain't the unprofessional sort to say ]

Haha, I'll take it I guess. But I was more talking about the conspiracy theories about them hating clemson.

There is definitely an agenda at work with ESPN

Oct 5, 2015, 4:56 PM

And calling it a "tin-hat conspiracy" isn't fair because that is immediately sending negative connotations that it's all a bunch of bologna.

It's not.

No, they do not "hate" Clemson, but they certainly don't give us the credit or exposure that they do for some other, less-deserving teams (see Arkansas, Tennessee.)

Of course they were good to us on Saturday, as they #### well should have been. Gameday was on our campus and the fans showed up despite crappy conditions. We played a good game and won. They gave us credit where credit was due. So that automatically excuses them from all their previous gaffes?

It's the countless slanting of their "journalism" that shows the bias, and if you are blind to it, you must have your head buried in the sand.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2015, 4:25 PM

They can always join me I do not watch Espn. I do watch it when they televise CU games but other than that I could care less about what they think of CU or anything else in the sports world. My opinion has to do with the Jenner crap and not what they think of CU.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2015, 5:34 PM

So you do care then?

Oct 5, 2015, 4:27 PM

The funny thing about it is some of the people from espn hate Clemson and the surrounding areas so much that they bought lake houses lol

Oct 5, 2015, 4:36 PM

Have to disagree somewhat. They don't hate Clemson but they do hate Clemson's success because it dims the light on their favorite teams. Mainly the SEC, ND, any team from Michigan, and Ohio St.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2015, 4:42 PM

That is absolute BS. Sure they are biased to the sec because the sec has had the most success the past decade and has had the biggest following, thus more of a reason for them to cover the sec. But they do not hate other teams having success. There have been lots of teams to have success that are not in the sec or are not ohio st or in the state of Michigan. They have gotten lots of love as well.

I dont think any rational Clemson fan believes ESPN has

Oct 5, 2015, 4:57 PM

an "anti-Clemson" bias.....rather, its the quite obvious SEC bias that bleeds into their programming that goes far and above the normal kudo's that conference should (and does) receive for being a very competitive football conference.....and if you read message boards from across the country, you'll see that every corner of the US not in the SEC is tired of the ESPN bias----even if it is good business

What I think humorous is listening or reading people defending ESPN and denying the SEC bias exists

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I dont think any rational Clemson fan believes ESPN has

Oct 5, 2015, 4:59 PM

ESPN is biased towards teams that get the most eyeballs.

Agree with your last statement

Oct 5, 2015, 5:03 PM [ in reply to I dont think any rational Clemson fan believes ESPN has ]

Anybody who defends against ESPN bias is a fool

Oct 5, 2015, 10:09 PM [ in reply to I dont think any rational Clemson fan believes ESPN has ]

With the SEC it goes beyond bias to outright conflict of interest. Unfortunately there is no oversight of media companies. I would compare it to CNN shipping guns to ISIS for the rights to ##### reporters.
Herbskreet was pro Notre Dame to my ears, but so are many broadcasts because "muh Rudy" etc.

Oct 5, 2015, 10:14 PM

Lol why cant I use the word e m b e d?

Oct 5, 2015, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Re: this ESPN thing is getting absolutely rediculous. ]

Can you name any of those other teams that have gotten lots of love?

Dittos..OP...it's not their job to be sunshine pumpers!..Yes

Oct 5, 2015, 5:00 PM

they tend to overly favor the SEC...but so do others....even those that don't have a vested interest. All we have to do is keep winning and if they want to look like idiots that's up to them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are absolutely right. ESPN loves ratings and calls it

Oct 5, 2015, 5:08 PM

like they see it. they want to be right, but sometimes they let their need to promote the SEC cloud their judgment. They also know that Noter Dame is a huge draw and brings in lots of viewers, and that clouds their judgment as well(along with Southern Cal, and Ohio State). We will earn their respect by winning. Soon, we will win enough that they will start picking Clemson more times than not.

Do you know how all that whining a begging makes you look?

Oct 5, 2015, 5:10 PM

I've always said ESPiN over ranked Clemson to set up games with Bama and LSU. I never said they under rank us to harm our program.

I'll say this. ESPiN set the narrative for this season as the last bowl news was dying. Since then the company policy is that the ACC is the weakest conference of the power five.

If you don't think that has damaged Clemson then you have no clue what part SOS plays in the playoff committee's magic method of selecting the four best teams in the country.

FPI is a formula developed by ESPiN corp which they tout as a fair measuring stick between conferences. Where is the formula? It's not published. The FPI seems harmless at the end of the year because we know who beat who, right?

Wrong, FPI is the sales tool used to drive the SEC into the top 25 in preseason polls. Clemson spent an entire off season with ESPiN, and therefor virtually every sports writer in the country, questioning our defense, QB's durability and ability to replace a splash and dash offensive coordinator.

Even our media, which should know us better than any others, questioned our defense. Calling you out, Tnet. We watched these guys come in last year and stand in the gap to do their parts to give us the #1 defense in the country yet even fans here on Tnet were shaking in their boots with fear. It mattered not that we still have one of the best conditioning programs and line coaches in the country, it didn't matter that we have arguably the best DC in the country.

So yeah, ESPiN doesn't have a vendetta against Clemson. For eight months they've discussed which conference champion should be left out of the playoff. For eight months, even today, they insist that the ACC champ shouldn't go. I think one guy had us in his playoff projection.

If your ignorance doesn't embarrass nothing should.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you know how all that whining a begging makes you look?

Oct 5, 2015, 5:26 PM

ESPN over ranked Clemson to set up games with bama and LSU? Haha. Wow. Just wow! I'm not even going to begin to get into that because it is just retarded.

ESPN's company policy is the acc is the weakest conference. Again, wow! The acc is and has been far and away the worst conference for years. Espn has nothing to do with that. The fact that the acc is horrible does.

And let's talk about FPI. You think this is something espn made up to tout conferences. That's total BS also. The NFL has FPI rankings. What does the NFL have to do with college football?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13550051/espn-nfl-football-power-index-rankings-august-31

FPI is a formula that is used the same way on every team. It doesn't change to help the sec. It has nothing g to do with helping rankings what so ever, it is not a sales tool.

If your ignorance doesn't embassass you, nothing should.

Sorry, I have to butt in

Oct 5, 2015, 5:55 PM

but I won't make any rude "ignorance" comments...

ESPN doesn't over rank Clemson to set up bigger games. That's just dumb.

But when you say "ACC has been far and away the weakest conference for years..." What makes the ACC any weaker than the Big 10? OSU is worthy of the hype and credit, but I'm not sold on Michigan State, and Wisconsin has always been overrated. Who else they got? Nebraska? Who just lost to Illinois? Penn State, who lost to Temple? NORTHWESTERN? Gimme a break. Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana is no worse than BC, Wake, Duke, Pitt, UVA.

But yes, FPI is a total farce, and just because they do one for the NFL doesn't validate it at all. It's just a bogus way for them to rank teams where they want them preseason.

Seriously, how can you look at their Preseason FPI rankings and not see the bias?

Wake up!

Re: Sorry, I have to butt in

Oct 5, 2015, 6:18 PM

I appreciate u having a cival discussion. The big 10 is absolutely the next worse conference, but how can you say they are worse than the acc? You mention 3 teams that are for the most part descent programs year in and year out. That's already one more team than the acc has. Its Clemson and FSU and that's it. You mentioned big 10 teams that lost games they shouldn't have, but if I did that with the acc, I would be here all night. Miami lost to cincinatti. VT lost to east Carolina. Those are the next best teams other than Clemson and FSU. I don't want the acc to be so bad, but they are.

I absolutely agree the fpi rankings are retarded. That was never an issue. He said its used as a sales tool and a bunch of other bs. My argument is that it doesn't change. Its a formula that stays the same no matter what team they use it with. The fpi was way different than the preseason coaches and ap poll, so I don't know how you can say they use it as way to rank teams where they want in the preseason.

In my op I said there was sec bias. I never have denied that. My main point was espn is not as bad to Clemson as people cry about on this forum.

Thanks....

Oct 5, 2015, 6:31 PM

Id say GT and Louisville are better than VT and Miami...Here's how I see the ACC vs Big 10

OSU - FSU
MICH ST - CLEMSON
WISCONSIN - GT
NEBRASKA - MIAMI
MICHIGAN - LOUISVILLE
PENN ST - VT
NORTHWESTERN - DUKE
IOWA - UNC
MD - NC ST
RUTGERS - PITT
ILLINOIS - SYRACUSE
INDIANA - WAKE

Some of those are a stretch, but I think the ACC is every bit as strong as the Big 10

And corrects that the formula doesnt change, but it can still favor other programs more than others, like giving Tennessee amd Arkansas a leg up because they are SEC teams. And he was right, nobody knows the formula for fpi, it could be anything

Agree, some people make it seem like ESPN is out to get Clemson at every opportunity they can. It isnt that bad, but people are so vocal about it because it has been ongoing for far too long and we STILL dont get the level of respect we SHOULD under Dabo considering all of our accomplishments over the last 5 years

civil discussion, not cival like I wrote.

Oct 5, 2015, 6:47 PM

I can respect that. I would disagree with some of those teams being equal to each other, but that's just my opinion, no reason to argue over differences in opinions. We have no way of knowing if the FPI could possibly favor sec teams, or give them a leg up. The only thing we know for sure about the FPI is that its a formula used to rank football teams, college and pro. I just don't know how you can assume there is bias in that ranking system, even if you don't agree with it.

Let lose the emotions and present arugument with fact.

Oct 5, 2015, 9:55 PM

SEC is the strongest conference because it's OCC record is better? Wonder why?

Preseason polls AP
1 Ohio State(61) 0-0 1525 —
2 TCU 0-0 1428 —
3 Alabama 0-0 1322 — Already has one loss dropped and moved back into the top ten? Right, they beat another top ten team, catching on.
4 Baylor 0-0 1263 —
5 Michigan State 0-0 1256 —
6 Auburn 0-0 1192 — What do I have to say here?
7 Oregon 0-0 1156 —
8 USC 0-0 1085 —
9 Georgia 0-0 991 — SOS pushed Bama way higher in the ranking than a one loss team deserves this early
10 Florida State 0-0 959 — One loss team dropped to # 10 in preseason?

Maybe it will take a couple more years before this country wakes up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for that post!

Oct 5, 2015, 10:34 PM

When we weren't winning we didn't complain even after Clemsoning had gotten old ESPN announcers were bringing it up at every chance. After proving ourselves the Clemson fan base is very educated at football. We know when four years after a bad loss to West Virginia, we have more than proved ourselves but time and again this mess comes up against Clemson. Imagine if it was a SEC team, it wouldn't happen. Our recruits know that's not true but as a fan base we would like to be respected some. We are tired of a label that was put on us five years ago. ESPN announcers are the ones that do it. Biased, yes yes and yes!

Clemson doesn't want something we haven't earned!! Are we the best team no, are we a good team in a good conference, yes.

Would Ohio State win the ACC, ask VT.

I don't hate ESPN but I don't respect them because they don't show fair respect to the great kids that go to Clemson. It's not fair to our players. I hope in some way this makes us better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I never heard Herbstreit say that, however

Oct 5, 2015, 5:12 PM

he could not say enough about Notre Dame. I felt it was uncharacteristic for him, as he is usually less biased than he appeared Saturday. If we had a Jim Phillips on the radio, I would have turned off the sound on the "Notre Dame Show" and turned on the radio for play by play.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

tu and I wish this post

Oct 5, 2015, 5:51 PM

could get pinned...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN does not hate Clemson. They do however LOVE the SEC

Oct 5, 2015, 5:54 PM

and by a default disrespect Clemson and other teams from other conferences.

Thank you... voice of reason is refreshing***

Oct 5, 2015, 5:55 PM

ESPN does hate Clemson, but Herbstreit gives us props a lot..

Oct 5, 2015, 6:00 PM

He even gave us props when we were underachieving

Re: ESPN does hate Clemson, but Herbstreit gives us props a lot..

Oct 5, 2015, 6:17 PM

Agreed. Say what you want about ESPN, Herbstreit has always been more than fair to us.

Re: ESPN does hate Clemson, but Herbstreit gives us props a lot..

Oct 5, 2015, 6:34 PM

And for the most part, so do David Pollock & Todd Blackledge. It's the play-by-play guys that never played the game and whose financial stability depends solely on their ESPN paycheck, that sing the pro SEC/anti ACC song the loudest.

And Danny Kanell***

Oct 5, 2015, 7:49 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Along with the 24/7 radio commentators***

Oct 5, 2015, 11:04 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN does hate Clemson, but Herbstreit gives us props a lot.. ]

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic