Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Things to assess after NC State
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Things to assess after NC State

Oct 16, 2016, 12:51 AM

I'd like to start by saying, WOW. What a roller coaster of a game, one of the most insane football games I've ever witnessed. Hats off to NC State for how well they played, they certainly deserve to be in the top 25 after today.

There are a few things I’d like to assess after today’s game, a few things that concerned me that need to addressed and fixed before FSU.

Punt Returns: As electric as Ray Ray is with the ball in his hands, it is not always certain that he can keep the ball in his hands. In my mind, 3 strikes and you’re out. After dropping another punt today (that he luckily recovered) and can no longer stomach to see Ray Ray back on punt returns. He has proven to be unreliable and I think it’s time we put either Tay Scott or Hunter back on punt return.

Ball Security: With that being said, I am beyond concerned with our ability to hold onto the football. Fumble, after fumble, after fumble. It’s been a reoccurring theme as of late, and the fact that we’re able to pull out wins with this many turnovers is nothing short of a miracle. I hope ball security will be the main focus of practice. 2 hands on the football fellas, cover the points.

Feaster: I don’t know about you, but one of the things I was most excited to see this season was our 5 Star recruit with 4.3 speed. When we saw Wayne go down from that horrific helmet-to-helmet hit, the first person I thought of was Tavien. Why not unleash him in this situation. I was kind of shocked to see how many touches Fuller got, he has never impressed me in his time at Clemson, why in such an important game put the ball in his hands so many times, especially on a day where our line could not block for sh*t! The delayed handoffs to CJ up the middle for no gain were making me nauseous.

Play Calling: There is no question that Clemson was out-coached in this game. I’m not talking about Dabo, I’m talking about our co-O/C’s who had me scratching my head most of the game. The 2-minute drill was a thing of perfection, but other play calling concerned me. 4th and 1 on the goal line, it seems like the Jumbo package is almost unstoppable, why take Dex and Christian out after that timeout? Like I mentioned before, the delayed handoffs up the middle when the box is stacked with 8 defenders…I couldn’t wrap my head around it. It looked like we only had a few plays in our playbook, the offense put up great numbers nonetheless, but I really wanted to see more 4-WR sets where DeShaun could roll out and have the option to run our pass. I think if we played every drive like there were 2 minutes on the clock we’d be unstoppable.

Offensive Line: “Mean and Nasty?” This offensive line was hyped up a bit too much in the off-season. NC-State dominated the line of scrimmage the entire game, and it left the offense 1-dimensional, especially with the absence of the Wayne-Train. DeShaun took some hits; his jersey was filthy by the end of the game. There were a few plays where guys looked like they just gave up. Maybe I just miss Mac-Lain. I’d like to see more fire from our boys up front.
Side note: Did anyone see Korrin Wiggin’s td? State’s RB was knocking our boys around, I saw Van Smith go flying a few times. Maybe I didn’t notice him.

Overall a win is a win, God is good, and I think he’s a Tiger fan! Just like the “Tiger-Talk” twitter account said, whens the Marcus Edmond statue going up?! ####, it’s good to be a Clemson Tiger!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

some worthy mentions

Oct 16, 2016, 12:56 AM

I concur !

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Things to assess after NC State

Oct 16, 2016, 5:06 AM

I just love arm chair coaches,and God is neutral!

If it's armchair coaching to observe that...

Oct 16, 2016, 5:50 AM

our play-calling was atrocious, then color me guilty... because our play-calling was atrocious... especially on short yardage. At this point in the season, the opposing DCs are pretty confident they can call the play for us, which is just maybe why they stop us consistently. So, Jeff? Tony? Do you have anything else?

And it's not simply in short yardage... it appears that we have two running plays between the tackles, one outside running play (the pitch to the TB), and Heaven knows where the jet sweep is. Come on, guys... how about a little imagination? You'd be surprised how effective it is to NOT do what the defense is expecting. Heck, it works against us, so why not give the opponent a little dose?

Tavien Feaster? Was he dressed for the game? I thought he was "the future of the Clemson running game." Well, when the "present" goes down with a concussion, why not put "the future" on the field? Yeah, that may be second-guessing, and there might be a reason why he was not used. If so, I apologize. I (mostly) respect our coaching staff to make those kinds of decisions, and although I'd love to hear an explanation, I'm not entitled to one. I've gotta tell you, though, it's getting hard to just go along with the "hey, shut up-- we won" attitude as we slide down the rankings with no marque games left. Our schedule is too "easy" this year to keep squeaking by in games that we should be showing off.

Final thought: Thank you, Marcus Edmond... again!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If it's armchair coaching to observe that...

Oct 16, 2016, 10:17 AM

I concur. Our play calling is bad.

Re: If it's armchair coaching to observe that...

Oct 16, 2016, 11:22 AM [ in reply to If it's armchair coaching to observe that... ]

7173: Terrific post! These dual OC's have done a fine job but we can;t forget that they arte very, very young and inexperienced as OC's. Time for them to learn to change play calling strategies as the opponents get onto our plays and coach their D against them. No excuse not to have the jumbo package in for 3rd down on the goal line. We continue to fail to use the middle of the field for short slanted, and medium passes when it is clear to anyone who can see that they are open almost every single play as the D coaches of the opponents are concentrating on taking away our outside and outside long passes.

Time for our dual OC's to take the next step up and coach to beat the defense which they are not doing.

You Forgot: We Are 7-0.....

Oct 16, 2016, 6:10 AM

People Always forget to make a big deal about winning......

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

We are 7-0 despite ourselves.

Oct 16, 2016, 10:24 AM

One of the biggest factors in win vs losses is turnover margin... we aren't looking great there.

As "fan"atics why can't we discuss what we should improve on?

This would be a boring fan base if we just ran around saying we're the best.... that's what coots do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You Forgot: We Are 7-0.....

Oct 16, 2016, 10:34 AM [ in reply to You Forgot: We Are 7-0..... ]

I think the point is...

If we continue to play like this, there might not be many more wins.
I'm not so sure yesterday that it wasn't "We won"...AS WE DIDN'T LOSE.

while that may be true

Oct 16, 2016, 11:12 AM [ in reply to You Forgot: We Are 7-0..... ]

NCSU lost this game. We didn't win it. Having to count on another teams kicker choking on a 33 year fg isn't how you want to win games.

Ball securIty is the biggest issue here. We likely left 21 points on the field due to that and the inability to convert short yardage.

This is a good team, but we seem more inconsistent from week to week this year. At some point if we continue to make mistakes another team is going to make us pay.

Wasn't kicker trying to kick around Clemson's DT's ?

Oct 16, 2016, 11:14 AM

Never under estimate the power of Wilkins.

I'll Grant you that

Oct 17, 2016, 8:38 AM

we were in the kicker's head for 2 reason.

1- The block
2 - His earlier short miss and the time out we called to let him think about it

All I'm saying is that if you plan on making a living winning games because the opponents kicker misses 33 yard FG's you probably are going to be a .500 team at best.

We could have easily scored 38+ points in this game and I actually think we played well in a lot of areas, but the mistakes, likely, should have cost us this game.

Oct 16, 2016, 8:00 AM

+1 for the OP.

I think people like me, and it appears the OP is similar in his thinking, are never satisfied. We are always looking for ways to make things BETTER. There is always room for improvement. Yeah - celebrate your accomplishments, but the old Roman saying "Don't rest on your laurels" applies here. No - we are NOT being negative, but instead are extremely positive. We see things that need improvement, and if you do not keep improving, then teams like NCSU will beat you.

If you're satisfied with everything, then you are setting yourself up for failure IMO. So good luck with your dreams, and those people like the OP will continue to excel.

Just some food for thought.

Excell at what?

Oct 16, 2016, 8:14 AM

It's easy to critique ball security when you fumble 3 times in the red zone and throw a pick 6. You honestly don't think they work on it enough? That it's not a focus?

You really don't think they'd be playing Feaster if they thought he had his assignments down?

I love the complaints about play-calling. Reminds me ofback under Danny when folks complained about running the fullback. Many plays are called to set up other ones. We ran it to try to draw the safeties up, but they didn't bite. You don't throw deep when they have the defense set up to take away over the top throws.

You may excel at your jobs, but if you could excel at coaching football, you'd be doing it

Oct 16, 2016, 10:10 AM

I am so beyond happy that we're 7-0, I don't think I could ever coach anywhere near the level that our coaches do, I'm not taking anything away from them, but I'm touching on some of the things that concern a lot of us fans. You can't just be content with winning, because then you won't continue to win. Of course they practice ball security, every team does, but you can never practice it enough, I want to see it become a bigger part of practice. The coaches gave their explanation on Feaster, and I still don't agree with it. You can't blame it on inexperience, the RB position is a lot more post snap reaction than it is pre snap recognition. If he was in the backfield and DeShaun saw something that he didnt like then he could check them out of the play. Someone mentioned the Jet-Sweep, and I couldn't agree more. That play was once our bread and butter, it padded DeShaun's passing yards (because its technically a forward pass) and it kept the corners honest because it had them confused whether they're gonna need to come up in run support or not. Running it just a few times a game and sending guys in motion sets up a hell of a lot more plays then delayed draws up the middle with CJ Fuller. The indecision that a Jet Sweep motion puts in the head of the cornerback had guys like Deon Cain and Charone Peake wide open countless times last season. Call me an arm chair coach but I don't think I make bad points.

Oct 16, 2016, 10:38 AM

It's a simple game...don't lose two fumbles in the red zone and throw a pick 6 to a guy DW didn't see. If not for those three plays...blowout. But...these are kids...both teams playing with heart...and weird stuff happens. Yes, State played hard...and that put them in position to force some fumbles. Clemson played hard, which is why Mike lost his...trying for extra yards...same with Tye. Should Clemson play 'less hard'...not fight for an extra yard? Do we prefer a Louisville ending instead?

Luck is always rearing its head and there's scarcely a team one that doesn't have it fall at its feet...nor a team victimized by a bad bounce. Every team's been there. Good teams continue to fight the fight despite all and seize the moment when they can. Clemson did.

I feel for the kicker, but he didn't believe in himself.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Things to assess after NC State ]

When you watch the replay you'll see that State had a man assigned to the jet sweep every time we faked it. That play wasn't there, at least our OCs didn't think so.

Our OC's have only losrt1 game ?

Oct 16, 2016, 10:30 AM

However, if there would be someone to question about always running off center,there's one that makes play call. He's the RB coach and very smart. the fact that everyone knows what play he will run on 2nd and 10 is merely a coincidence.

Good post....Agree***

Oct 16, 2016, 10:33 AM

Oct 16, 2016, 10:36 AM

Did you just look at the score and assume our OCs were out coached? We loved the ball up and down the field most of the game.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Wait....I saw the entire game. Korrin Wiggins had a TD?***

Oct 16, 2016, 10:37 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TO's happen, otherwise the game plan and play calling

Oct 16, 2016, 10:43 AM

was fine by me. We couldn't run but we kept trying, DW4 played very well, receivers had good game and nice to see Leggett and Williams dominate. We score 38 to 45 without the TO's since 3 of them were close to goal line and we could not score on the goal line. 45 points would have been great on that defense. NCSU was better than I expected, that D was hitting hard and while some here say it was dirty I do not agree. Physical football, we are a bit more finesse and thus we cannot gain 1 yard in multiple tries this year. Feaster not playing shocked me!! His last run was 45 yard TD, but maybe they felt game was too physical for him??

Oct 16, 2016, 11:04 AM

We need to figure out something for Taylor Hearn I am sorry but he is not doing it at LG. Maybe I miss MacLain as well, but that kid was a revolving door at LG. We ran behind him all day and got NOTHING. They brought in Facenlli (sp) and it was a little better but then we put Hearn right back in and he did it again. Some times it's not your day and you need to play the best players.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post, I agree with every one of your assessment points.***

Oct 17, 2016, 9:09 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic