Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Under no circumstances should we be granting releases to SC.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Under no circumstances should we be granting releases to SC.

May 17, 2018, 9:55 AM

That is avoidable. Regardless of someone's family situation.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you're in Dabo's situation and lawyer is involved with

May 17, 2018, 10:04 AM

potential negative PR forthcoming if release is not allowed.....what would you do?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL4Heisman

Clemson is way more important than a player. Do what is

May 17, 2018, 10:08 AM

best for Clemson and the program.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly!***

May 17, 2018, 10:19 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL4Heisman

What exactly can a lawyer do to Clemson in this situation?

May 17, 2018, 10:22 AM [ in reply to If you're in Dabo's situation and lawyer is involved with ]

If lawyers can become involved in pressuring coaches into granting releases to particular schools then that is an extremely bad precedent.

Re: What exactly can a lawyer do to Clemson in this situation?

May 17, 2018, 10:24 AM

They can smear Clemson in the media for all recruits to see.

We kinda need recruits to field a team.

Anyone can do that at any time. For any reason. Do we start

May 17, 2018, 10:26 AM

letting everyone go to any school they want out of fear of smearing? That's ridiculous.

Re: Anyone can do that at any time. For any reason. Do we start

May 17, 2018, 10:29 AM

I don’t like it anymore than anyone else. And just like anyone else, I know none of the details and it’s pure speculation. And there’s a lot of it.

Bottom line for me, especially considering his position on potential transfer rule changes, if that if Dabo thought it was the best move, it probably was...and he knows something we don’t.

It's hard to argue with your last sentence. But maybe Dabo

May 17, 2018, 10:48 AM

was pressured to go against his gut.

Re: It's hard to argue with your last sentence. But maybe Dabo

May 17, 2018, 10:59 AM

Possibly. But until/unless we find out otherwise, I will chose to take the high road and wish he and his family the best.

Don't pat yourself on the back too hard. I wish his family

May 17, 2018, 11:24 AM

the best, but I don't think he should have been released to play FB at SCAR. Stop acting like that is a necessary element of him being able to improve his situation.

If he's trying to transfer somewhere close to home to

May 17, 2018, 11:42 AM

be with a sick family member there aren't really any other D1 options.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So now he has to go to a D1 school for it to be acceptable?

May 17, 2018, 2:29 PM

Being too picky.

I think it greatly diminishes his future NFL hopes to go

May 18, 2018, 9:27 AM

FCS, so yeah, i would say that.

Re: If he's trying to transfer somewhere close to home to

May 17, 2018, 2:53 PM [ in reply to If he's trying to transfer somewhere close to home to ]

There's more than 1 if Tennessee can be talking with him from 2 states away.

A coot lawyer wouldn’t try to smear Clemson in the press to

May 17, 2018, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: What exactly can a lawyer do to Clemson in this situation? ]

try and make up for their pathetic lack of football ability, would they??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

9kay.. dabo took a hit when he mentioned "the

May 17, 2018, 11:53 AM [ in reply to If you're in Dabo's situation and lawyer is involved with ]

Value of a good education is being overlooked " when discussing player's rights.

He survived, Clemson survived. The only negative press would come out of columbia, and no1 cares. The burden of proof would fall on scar.

If dabo granted the release it was likely because he was completely ok with it. Yes
It Could be that simple.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: If you're in Dabo's situation and lawyer is involved with

May 17, 2018, 12:14 PM [ in reply to If you're in Dabo's situation and lawyer is involved with ]

Let him transfer to UNC Charlotte, it's just as close as Cootlumbia and probably a better program at this point.

I understand dishing the rival and everything, but can you

May 18, 2018, 9:41 AM

honestly say that an upstart program in the Conference USA that has won 17 games in five years and has never had a record above .500 is a better team and better transfer destination than SCar? This is an ill-informed argument. I'm not happy that he may end up there either, but for his situation, it makes the most sense. Props to Dabo for not blocking the transfers a la Kirby Smart, Saban, etc. This is further affirmation that he is a class act and an excellent model for how to coach the right way.

Depends on the scenario.*****

May 17, 2018, 10:06 AM

I say, no it doesn't. A scenario does not exist where that

May 17, 2018, 10:23 AM

specific outcome is necessary. People should know when they sign with Clemson that you have waived your right to transfer to our rivals.

I am on the lines that family/life and death....

May 17, 2018, 10:32 AM

are more important than a football game. The situation would have to be a very rare and special situation, but there are situations without question imo.

I agree with things are more important than football...

May 17, 2018, 10:49 AM

but none of those life and death decisions require a person to go to SCAR.

There are scenarios where being closer to home matter...

May 17, 2018, 10:51 AM

and USCjr might be that place closer to home. Glad Dabo agrees. I think this is the first time it has happened with Dabo, so I am going to trust his judgment and assume this is a special situation.

SCAR is not in the middle of a massive desert. There are

May 17, 2018, 11:24 AM

other options. This was his luxurious preference. Not his only alternative.

I totally agree

May 17, 2018, 10:52 AM [ in reply to I am on the lines that family/life and death.... ]

With the first line only.

My solution is for the kid not to play football. If him being an hour closer makes that big of a difference, he should just hang up the cleats for a period of time and then he will be 0.0 miles away from his family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I honestly agree. If we hadn't had a basketball player just

May 17, 2018, 10:30 AM

recently do this I wonder if it would've even been considered. There used to be an unwritten rule against this. I have a bad feeling about this entire scenario because he was happy at Clemson. I'm shocked.

bottom line there are kids lined up for Clemson

May 17, 2018, 10:36 AM

Offer. Take the high road and know the kid just lowered any draft chances by playing for a garbage team

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Under no circumstances should we be granting releases to SC.

May 17, 2018, 10:37 AM

kind of agree

different scenario if kid is from another state and a super long ways from home

four first rounders and the red carpet all laid out for him...hard to imagine a better football career situation - family comes first but man

...just seems like a super huge opportunity to pass on over an extra hour and a half drive

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm as passionate as anyone about FB, but have some...

May 17, 2018, 10:44 AM

perspective. The kid wants to be closer to his sick mom. What's the problem?

Re: I'm as passionate as anyone about FB, but have some...

May 17, 2018, 10:47 AM

Problem is people are butthurt because it’s SCar and Dabo allowed it. They want all the details as if they’re entitled to them, and since they don’t have them and won’t get them, they’ve resorted to speculation and insults. It’s sad actually.

It's not just football.

May 17, 2018, 11:54 AM

Look around. Same thing happens with every single news story. It's a tribal mentality.. Just the new "norm".

GO TIGERS!!

Re: It's not just football.

May 17, 2018, 5:46 PM

And it irritates me to no end.

Does he have to play FB at SC to be closer to his sick mom??

May 17, 2018, 10:50 AM [ in reply to I'm as passionate as anyone about FB, but have some... ]

Nope.

You would prefer we ruin his furture NFL career...

May 17, 2018, 10:54 AM

as well as a full ride in college? Now you're just being irrational.

Now who’s being irrational???

May 17, 2018, 11:23 AM

Why would taking time away from the game to be with family “ruin his future NFL career”?

That’s absurd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He may need more time that you think around his family?

May 17, 2018, 12:13 PM

It took my dad a few years to die of his cancer. He might want to be in school and be around his family too in the remaining years. I did. I moved from Charleston to South Florida to be with my dad. No reason for the kids to have to drop out of college if they are in certain situations.

Nobody has suggested where he could go that would...

May 17, 2018, 12:16 PM

be close to home and still allow him to compete in a major conference. All of this stems from him potentially going to USuC. I don't like it either, but we need to keep this in perspective.

Winthrop would be a fine choice then!

May 17, 2018, 1:15 PM [ in reply to He may need more time that you think around his family? ]

Much closer as well!!

They are also undefeated at football....

May 18, 2018, 9:47 AM

nm

This is all built on a false premise.

May 17, 2018, 2:51 PM [ in reply to He may need more time that you think around his family? ]

Everybody has problems. My dad had a protracted death when I was in college too. I didn't have the luxury of getting everything I wanted to help facilitate my own optimal long-term interests and live closer to him. Like most people, I had to make choices that were imperfect.

The line for compassion is far below the amount of convenience that is being offered to Belk in this particular case. Some times people have to make their own choices. My great, great uncle had to walk away from a contract with the New York Yankees because his mother was sick. Josh Belk not playing FB for SCAR (and having other options available to him) is way better than most people's options in this situation.

Josh Belk does not have to play football at SC for him to be shown compassion. He has other options.

Obviously family is more important than rivalry, but it is NOT NECESSARY for Josh Belk to play FB at SCAR in order to better himself AND be closer to family. It's a false premise.

It's not irrational. You are thinking I am being coldhearted

May 17, 2018, 11:27 AM [ in reply to You would prefer we ruin his furture NFL career... ]

It's completely rational.

I would say you are being irrational by stating that the only way he could have an NFL career and be closer to his mom is going to play for SCAR.

That is simply not true. You are allowing them to narrowly define what it takes to be compassionate.

If I am dying of Cancer, and I request you to take me to red-lobster, it does not mean that you are heartless if you refuse. (I'm hungry for seafood) It means I am asking too much and setting an arbitrary threshold for compassion by having too specific of a demand.

The only thing missing from that post...

May 17, 2018, 12:20 PM

is being practical with common sense. I respect your loyalty to the school and your dislike for our rival, but there are situations that are unique. I think Dabo recognized one. Dabo is a smart dude who has been around the block. No way Dabo let Belk just go to our rival because Belk was home sick or a Coot fan. There was something major.

Where would you suggest he go?***

May 17, 2018, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Does he have to play FB at SC to be closer to his sick mom?? ]

Winthrop***

May 17, 2018, 3:29 PM

Unrealistic*****

May 17, 2018, 4:58 PM

If that’s Unrealistic*****

May 17, 2018, 5:14 PM

It’s a crock about him needing to be closer. Winthrop is the closest option - period.

Yeah but he can be closer to home and play major

May 17, 2018, 5:18 PM

college football and plan for the rest of his life. It's called balancing things.

It’s called a crock.***

May 17, 2018, 5:23 PM

May 17, 2018, 11:00 AM

I like that dabo did this. It’s a great look for the program and it’s in the best interest for the kid. (Except for development to play in the pros lol)

So what kind of pandora's box has Dabo

May 17, 2018, 12:26 PM

Opened? If a athlete doesn't like a situation and threatens to transfer out to a school of his choice. If he's denied, then threatens to hire a lawyer? Irks me this kid stayed committed for over a year, and how many other Dtackles did we turn away? SC reaps the benefits of Clemson's recruiting work.

May 18, 2018, 11:20 AM

POTD........Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2018, 12:22 PM

There may be multiple truths at play here...
1. Belk’s mom may in fact be sick
2. Belk may in fact be lazy and not the extra effort player and teammate that Dabo requires
3. Dabo may have seen an opportunity for Clemson knowing the type of teammate Belk would be so he released Belk

Number three is speculation but the first two have credibility from multiple outlets. It will be interesting to see Belk’s future as a teammate and player. That could give us the best clue as to Dabo’s reasoning.

Told ya'll. It didn't add up.***

May 22, 2018, 6:57 PM

I was wrong. I agree now.******

May 22, 2018, 7:46 PM

I was wrong. I agree now.******

May 22, 2018, 7:46 PM

May 22, 2018, 8:28 PM

Maybe Dabo knew he’d be a problem in a locker room, so why not release him to a rival and let him wreck havoc there?

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic