Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There will be football. For the first time in a really long
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,215

There will be football. For the first time in a really long

Aug 12, 2020, 6:43 AM

time, I think we are going to have a fan-free season. I am excited, and not just cautiously optimistic. Couple of observations:

1) The rate of spread is slowing in almost every state, and in some states like SC, precipitously. California is still having a tough go, and Virginia can't seem to shake it. But for the most part, it seems like we are starting to move beyond the worst of the virus.

2) If the numbers don't reverse course and trend up again over the next three weeks after many schools and colleges have gone back, there will be a HUGE reason to celebrate.

3) I don't understand the liability rationale for the BIG10 not playing ball. It makes no sense that a University will allow students to be in dorms and cafeterias and classes, but not on the football fields. Yes, droplets will be flying around on a ball field, but they also tend to fly around during ragers and other extracurricular activities of other students. The heart problem is a problem for both the 100 ball players and the tens of thousands of regular students on each campus.

4) In a month from now when the season starts (that still feels like a long way), I think the BIG10 leaders are going to look at each other, and think "what the #### did we do???". They will have a lost year of revenue, and the financial hardships will take some time to overcome.

5) My favorite part of all of this conundrum is that every article, show, or website related to college football right now has a picture of a Clemson player, whether it be the best QB in the land or a walk-on RB. I especially love that Saturday Down South, with SEC logos all around, had a pic of the Clemson team on the lead-in page!

I finally feel that it's time to SPOT THE #### BALL! Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There will be football. For the first time in a really long

Aug 12, 2020, 7:16 AM

Good points,but you left out a few things that could flip the scales;
For 1,it only takes one state with more than one program to create a problem.You mentioned Virginia.They have two schools.
And you said in South Carolina it is spreading precipitously,yet The Citadel just reported 30 new cases.The Citadel was to be our non conference -mandated in state opponent.
But what you failed to mention was that ,like the flu,the Corona virus thrives in colder climates,like Pitt,Boston and,Syracuse,3 teams I think we play.
Also,some schools have not yet agreed to students coming back on campus.
Also,while conferences like The Big 10,or any of the other Power 5 conferences will lose a year of revenue,it will be harder on the FCS teams that rely on revenue from playing the big schools.Those conferences will hurt even more.
I think most of us want to see Football, but who among us really knows what this virus will do in the next few months.
I for one don't know but as a fan,I'm more pessimistic about the season being played with each passing day.

Aug 12, 2020, 7:22 AM

Leftie should read "lefty." A very appropriate name for the left that are Debbie Downers, until after 11/3 when magically they will be optimists.

Aug 12, 2020, 7:33 AM

I'm not on the Left.Never have been."Leftie"( or "Lefty") is a just nickname because I am left handed.
Nothing more,nothing less.
And I'm not a Downer.I'm more of a realistic.And the football people in power have more insight into what's going on then either you ,or I.

Aug 12, 2020, 7:53 AM [ in reply to Re: There will be football. For the first time in a really long ]

I don't think the thriving in cold environment thing has rung true. It spread very quickly in the South despite the hot summer we have had.

Aug 12, 2020, 8:38 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,215
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic