Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Value of an Education
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 987

The Value of an Education

Oct 30, 2019, 5:16 PM

So, pretty much the NCAA is saying that the value of an education is not enough to compensate big time football and basketball players. But if we are going to put a value on participating in a sport (that can gain income) how would these players not be considered professional and their income is taxed? "Trade" is seen as taxable income. So, in the case of a student athlete, if you choose to make money from endorsements from your services rendered to a university, I don't see how the IRS will not look at it as taxable. But, here is the problem - would the bottom tier players be taxed on their scholly as well? Even though they get absolutely no interest in endorsement deals?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Value of an Education

Oct 30, 2019, 5:22 PM

The Senator from North Carolina who is proposing the taxing of scholarships plainly said it would only apply to those receiving money from endorsements.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Value of an Education

Oct 30, 2019, 6:58 PM

I brought up this subject of fairness earlier and got some really stupid replies about the county fair. I agree with you 100 per cent. There is no way this proposed action is designed to benefit the average college athlete. Those whose image is marketable now will get their rewards when they move on in their athletic career.

The 95 percent of the others will do without even though their dedication to the team is equal to the superstars.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 987
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic