Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Suspect offensive play calling vs UL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Suspect offensive play calling vs UL

Sep 18, 2015, 11:29 PM

Did anyone else think we needed to stretch the field a lot more last night? It seemed like we only took about 3 deep shots down the field all game. I have a hard time understanding why we wouldn't throw long early and often when you have the best qb in college football and probably the best WR corp in college football against an inexperienced D. I know the offensive line was a little banged up but that's not really an excuse. It seemed like we had WAY to many slow developing plays or passes at the line of scrimmage. I love our current coaching staff but I definitely missed Chad Morris last night.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Suspect offensive play calling vs UL

Sep 18, 2015, 11:32 PM

UL played to not give up the big pass.

Sep 18, 2015, 11:47 PM

They played an offence per G/tech several years back, gave the run and short passes,but NO/NO LONG STUFF....UL ran same def, Clemson did enough to win,,,enough said!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

This time last year people were saying the same things sbout

Sep 18, 2015, 11:36 PM

Morris. Never changes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This time last year people were saying the same things sbout

Sep 18, 2015, 11:43 PM

I never questioned Morris. I never really questioned Elliot/Scott until now. This was the first game I came away disappointed in the play calling. The least we scored in a game last year with Watson in for the whole game was 35. I don't believe that the Louisville defense are world beaters. I hope I'm wrong and the UL D turns out to be great and we finish with a top 10 offense. With the talent we have we should be upset with anything less.

Sep 18, 2015, 11:36 PM

Deep ball wasn't there, but the middle of the field and the sides of the field were wide open and we didn't take advantage of those.

Agreed. Hitting some of those might have opened up the long

Sep 18, 2015, 11:53 PM

Throws. Tony's 4th game as play caller--I guess a little on the job training is expected. My bigger ? was rhythm. Maybe I'm not used to the his style but the O mo seemed disjointed. But a lot to love!!

Morris would have never given Gallman 24 carries.

Sep 18, 2015, 11:40 PM

... and people would have been complaining about how we abandoned the run in favor of fruitless attempts to connect on the long ball.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Morris would have never given Gallman 24 carries.

Sep 18, 2015, 11:47 PM

I did like the running game last night. It just seemed like we should have been able to exploit the secondary more last night at the same time.

Against Wofford and App State, lots of folks said the play

Sep 18, 2015, 11:46 PM

calling was "vanilla" and that we would see a lot more at Louisville. I didn't see much change.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Against Wofford and App State, lots of folks said the play

Sep 18, 2015, 11:59 PM

I said you'd see vanilla with a few sprinkles. I didn't expect to see a playoff team this early in the season with 40 true and RS freshmen on our team.

I don't think our guys are ready for the whole nine yards yet. It didn't look like DW was ready either. Maybe they knew something we didn't know?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never been a big believer that coaches hide a big part of

Sep 18, 2015, 11:59 PM [ in reply to Against Wofford and App State, lots of folks said the play ]

the play book. Sure they might keep some special little things under wraps, but mostly, they do whatever it takes to win a given game.

Beating Wofford and App St. didn't require a lot and most of what we tried worked.

I think we used every play that we thought would work against Louisville and even threw in the "tackle eligible" play that got the TD.

However, against Louisville, we just didn't execute the plays that were called all that well.

The TD pass to JL, the qb runs off the fake pass to the

Sep 19, 2015, 12:01 AM [ in reply to Against Wofford and App State, lots of folks said the play ]

Sidelines, a few called qb draws, the option pitch to name a few I had not noticed before. Maybe I'm missing something,but the zone read with Watson keeping...has that happened? It looked more like designed handoffs. No problem if they are limiting DW's hits, just wondering if I'm seeing the zone read aspect correctly?

I thought we opened it up a good bit, and didn't think play

Sep 19, 2015, 12:33 AM [ in reply to Against Wofford and App State, lots of folks said the play ]

calling was our problem.

Young team playing first road game against the toughest team we've faced by far.

O-line got banged up early in the game.

Louisville denied us the long ball, and we failed to execute effectively when taking what was there.

Watson looked out of sync and like he was pressing much of the night.

Sure, playcalling wasn't perfect, but it never is, and I think these other factors had more bearing on the game. Plus, take away just one of those interceptions and the kick-off return, and we probably win by 17 instead of 3.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I thought we opened it up a good bit, and didn't think play

Sep 19, 2015, 2:03 AM

Let's talk again when Louisville is 1-5. They are not good and their weakness was their secondary which was not exploited. They were in cover 2 primarily which is why the middle of the field is where you saw the two TD's. We should have been deep middle all day on those below avg db's that were overmatched. That should not have been close at all.

We were in our own way. Sometimes you need to hit the gas pedal in order to get to where you want to go. I hope we take the chains off for the upcoming gauntlet of ND/GT/BC. If not we will get beat.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can we talk if they're 3-3 as well?***

Sep 19, 2015, 7:40 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would certainly have been different.

Sep 18, 2015, 11:55 PM

I don't any of us could say we would have won the game for sure. But it would have been different if we'd have thrown deep a bunch more.

This is our OCs first conference game and only their fourth ball game at the helm. They are 4-0 with two FBS wins. They won our only BCS game and beat UL a conference and division foe on the road on after a short week on a Thursday night. I think everybody ought to give they a fair shot at an entire season before judgment is passed.

Also, neither of them have shown up on somebody's short list for a HCing job either. As far as me missing Chad, it ain't gonna happen. I thought he interviewed too often and destabilized our coaching staff during the last days of recruiting. I got sick of that chit and I'm sure others feel that way too.

I'm drunk, needed to edit
CT88

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2015, 11:57 PM

I dont miss Chad Morris. He was good for Clemson when he was here, but he isnt here anymore.

My only problem with the play calling was the fact that we took Gallman out of the game once we got down inside the 20. That puzzles me. We power the ball all the way down then try to finess it. I can guarantee you that Scott/Elliott will watch this film over and over, and adjust for ND. Curious to see how many ND DL go down at GT with knee injuries.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree ...

Sep 19, 2015, 12:01 AM

Couldn't understand our RB substitution when Gallman needed a breather.

Sep 19, 2015, 12:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Suspect offensive play calling vs UL ]

That ND vs Ga Tech game is going to be hard to watch. He have to pull for Notre Dame so we get Gameday in Death Valley but I suspect Chop Block U. will continue with what they do at Notre Dame.

The only thing I hate worse than Notre Dame is GA Tech and of course the Coots.

As for the play calling, I felt the lack of pre snap motion really hurt us. However, the issue I always had with Chad Morris was that he tried to get too cute in games and do the halfback pass that gets intercepted when we were moving the ball at will. I think he outthought himself at times.

I am hoping to see a little more pre snap motion against ND because I think it will give us matchup advantages. I know we are young but these are 4 and 5 star receivers on the field. They certainly can handle some motion.

I also think we should have run the WR Screens even more than we did. Louisville DBs were playing off the ball trying to prevent the homerun plays. I think we had a lot of opportunities to get their DBs to come stay closer to the LOS which would have opened up the long passes for us.

freely admit this is Friday Morning Quarterbacking in this case and if I was at the practices and saw everything the coaches did, I probably would have a different opinion.

THe best thing about last night is that our Defense is so good and young. They will keep us in games with our O isn't playing too it's potential. Also, it was DW's first road game (not counting limited play at Gt LAST YEAR).

The long break should be enough for us to see a lot more plays and new wrinkles.

Dean

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2015, 5:27 AM

It's a cut block

And 2 of them were intercepted,

Sep 19, 2015, 12:15 AM

the other was incomplete when they didn't call pass interference (GHOP). Obviously UL was playing to prevent the deep pass. I would have been suspect if they had kept trying it. With the speed of our receivers almost everyone will protect against the long pass and force the short passes and runs. As long as we win I don't care.

Yep***

Sep 19, 2015, 12:35 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Sep 19, 2015, 5:25 AM

Gee maybe the coaching staff needs your input DA

Sep 19, 2015, 5:26 AM

Every time we attempted to stretch the field, DW threw and interception.

Re: Play Calling

Sep 19, 2015, 5:41 AM

It is obvious to me that Elliott/Scott are determined to run the football. The Chad never showed any interest in establishing a consistent running attack & he was way too conservative on our end of the field (backed up). I doubt that we ever had rushing stats like Thursday night in a real game (P-5) while The Chad was here - except vs SC & who knows who called that game. Some
fans seem to think that Ray Ray & Deon should be able to just walk on the field & immediately start catching bombs whenever they feel like it. Ain't gonna happen. Neither was a WR in HS. It'll take a while. I knew that we would miss Mike Williams. He was the go-to guy in crunch time & rarely dropped one. Jordan Leggett had the most receiving yards vs Louisville - a whopping 42 yards. Tay Scott was 8-40, Charone Peake was 1-12, Germone Hopper was shut out. Maybe fans have forgotten what it's like to actually have a running game. Maybe they remember the long passes for TDs & forget all the 3 & outs. This year the away game was not as close as the home game last year. There was only 3 yards difference in our rushing yards & our passing yards - a balanced attack. I don't have any complaints about the play-calling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not play-calling, DW was uncharacteristically off - ? short

Sep 19, 2015, 6:22 AM

turn-around? I hope so, as I have never seen him throw into coverage like that or miss a critical ten yard pass to a wide-open receiver. I hope the reason is just being tired - that was quick turn-around. I hope it is because he is not getting along with Streeter or that he has a hidden injury that we don't know about. In every game before this, he was wide-eyed, super energized with a smile on his face most of time. Please come back to normal and be the superstar you are D.W.!

Sep 19, 2015, 7:31 AM

I think the days of us mindlessly chucking the ball all over the field and running a million plays is over. I sense that the team is playing a little more ball control and also that we are making smarter calls. Last year we would have never ran the bal as much as we did against Louisville with the chad at the helm. Just so everyone knows we are missing two stud players in mike Williams and Ryan Norton. We really miss mike Williams as he is clearly the most physical player we have at wr. Charone Peake is a disappointment. With all that said, this more methodical style of play calling helps the defense recover better too.

Play Calling was Fine. I will never miss the Hyper Chadster***

Sep 19, 2015, 7:31 AM

Re: Play Calling was Fine. I will never miss the Hyper Chadster***

Sep 19, 2015, 12:53 PM

I think our offense needs to improve a ton. The young receivers appear to be hungrier than some of the older ones.We need a backups running back also.Hope to see Thompson more we heard a ton about him in the off season. Peake n Hopper time is running out on them.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic