Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The problem with the targeting rule is that it holds
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,316

The problem with the targeting rule is that it holds

Nov 3, 2018, 1:37 PM

the player accountable for something over which he often has absolutely no control. I understand wanting to protect players from serious injury, but the rule as is punishes innocent players on a regular basis. The rule, as is, is just flat out wrong.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Gotta disagree It all stems from poor tackling

Nov 3, 2018, 1:42 PM

Technique. Watch Luke Lechley tackle. Head is always up. If you keep your head up and on the player you tackle properly

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry Kechley sp

Nov 3, 2018, 1:42 PM

Nm

The rule is dont lead with the

Nov 3, 2018, 1:48 PM

Crown of the helmet. Pretty simple straight forward rule

Re: Sorry Kechley sp

Nov 3, 2018, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Sorry Kechley sp ]

Its Luke Kuechly...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Terrell's head was up. It's absurd to suggest that every

Nov 3, 2018, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Gotta disagree It all stems from poor tackling ]

tackle can possibly be a textbook, "head up" tackle anyway. Players are running, jumping, twisting, falling, turning, etc. Tackling will naturally take on many different forms, and should be allowed to do so. Besides, I would argue that having the "head up" when bent over puts the neck in a very, much more vulnerable, unatural and dangerous position.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Gotta disagree It all stems from poor tackling

Nov 3, 2018, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Gotta disagree It all stems from poor tackling ]

Luke? Like 6 concussions in his career. Nothing from the panthers is a good example for our tigers. They compared kelly bryant to Cam. Turns out he was just like him. A big ole baby! Sorry for the KB apologist but not a fan of KB's actions. But as for targeting rule it forces players to go low which can cause career ending injuries as well.

Re: The problem with the targeting rule is that it holds

Nov 3, 2018, 1:46 PM

That wasn’t targeting. Terrell led with his shoulder and the return man ducked his head into Terrell. Poor call.

Well, the tackler did make contact with the head/neck area

Nov 3, 2018, 2:07 PM

of the Louisville player, so by rule I guess it is targeting. My point is that it was not Terrell's fault, which is what you are saying, as the Louisville player lowered HIS head and created the illegal contact. There is nothing in the rule that allows for that. It is a bad rule.

- H. L. Mencken

Its migrated from "aiming" with Helmet to ANY contact around

Nov 3, 2018, 1:50 PM

the head and neck. So many of these calls are now just incidental, NOT "targeting".

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its migrated from "aiming" with Helmet to ANY contact around

Nov 3, 2018, 1:59 PM

vfral1 said:

the head and neck. So many of these calls are now just incidental, NOT "targeting".

Totally agree with you. They should create a new name for the foul that doesn't criminalize players for unintentional, non-malicious contact. Could still be a personal foul, but call it what it is. "helmet to helmet."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly! This was incidental, and unavoidable. Not only was

Nov 3, 2018, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Its migrated from "aiming" with Helmet to ANY contact around ]

there no intenet, there was no way to avoid it; it was just football.

- H. L. Mencken

I don't mind the rule...

Nov 3, 2018, 2:00 PM

But it has to be consistent....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't mind the rule...

Nov 3, 2018, 2:03 PM

The crazy thing is: "it's more of a rule meant to protect the defensive player"! Wish they were more consistent when calling it.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,316
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic