Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The real explanation of the offsides
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

The real explanation of the offsides

Dec 8, 2015, 12:26 AM
image.jpeg(494.3 K)

Here it is.
It was legit, wish ESPN would say it- the proof is there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can we please let this go? It has been discussed to death.

Dec 8, 2015, 12:28 AM

I'm not having a dig at you. I would just like the topic to go away. It's been beaten to death and then some. It's time to move on. We won.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can we please let this go? It has been discussed to death.

Dec 8, 2015, 12:30 AM

I agree, but you can save the picture with the rule explanation and the next time someone says something you can show it to them and tell them to kiss your butt!

Re: The real explanation of the offsides

Dec 8, 2015, 12:29 AM

Dude has to be between the 30 and the 31, he is not. He is straddling the 32. That's all you need. They threw the flag before the guy even kicked it because he started off off sides. It had nothing to do with any part of his body being I front of the ball.
ACC champs!! No more questions!

Dec 8, 2015, 12:46 AM

No. The rule is that at some point the player has to be within those hash marks. Not when the ball is kicked or whenever an arbitrary picture is taken. As long as, after the whistle is blown putting the ball in play, the player is or has been in between those hashes, then its a legal formation. Read the rule please.

No . . .

Dec 8, 2015, 12:59 AM

There is no such thing as an illegal formation call that pertains to what happens after the play. Formations pertain to pre-snap set-up, and therefore determinations of the legality of formations are determined by what happens prior to the play or the moment it starts. If an official sees what is ostensibly an illegal formation before the play, and the play starts, then there is no protocol for him waiting to see how the play pans out, and then retro-assessing that pre-play formation as legal b/c of what happened later. If it is not legal when the play starts, then there is a foul.

This means that if a guy is not between the 9-yard marks before the kick, then the formation is illegal, no matter what he does after the kick. At least one, possibly two players, were outside the 9-yard marks when the kick occurred. Nothing they did afterwards can change that.

Re: No . . .

Dec 8, 2015, 1:01 AM

The rule isn't when the kick occurs. Its when the ready for play whistle is blown.

Well, yes and no . . .

Dec 8, 2015, 1:27 AM

The ready signal is the point after which they must, at least for a moment, go inside the marker. This does not mean they must be inside the markers *at* the ready signal, but that they must do so at some point after the ready signal, but before the kick. I specified the kick not to imply that they must be inside the markers at the time of the kick, but to say that if they have not already done so since the ready signal (they have right up until the kick to move inside the markers) then by the time the kick occurs, they have committed an infraction. The previous poster seemed to imply that they could somehow rectify the thing by running inside the markers after the kick - unless I misunderstood him.

Can someone explain the 9 yard mark? 9 from line ?***

Dec 8, 2015, 1:04 AM [ in reply to No . . . ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Re: Can someone explain the 9 yard mark? 9 from line ?***

Dec 8, 2015, 1:05 AM

When you look at the field on a kickoff, you'll notice two hashmarks. Rule 6-1-2-c.5 says after the official blows his whistle saying the ball is live, you have to be within those lines at some point. Not when the ball is kicked, just sometime after (s)he blows the whistle.

Re: Can someone explain the 9 yard mark? 9 from line ?***

Dec 8, 2015, 1:07 AM

Those two hashmarks are 9 yards from the full field length hash marks that designate where the ball can be placed.

Dec 8, 2015, 1:12 AM [ in reply to Re: The real explanation of the offsides ]

Any way you try to read the rule, 26 lined up outside of the 9-yard hash before the whistle and was still outside the hash when the ball was kicked. And 26 was still outside after 10 yards progress. So it's an illegal formation any way you want to read it.

But that isn't what the refs called. They called 30 for touching the plane with his finger. Two refs positioned at that plane versus an interverse full of idiots who either incorrectly point to the feet or don't understand perspective.

What?

Dec 8, 2015, 12:50 AM [ in reply to Re: The real explanation of the offsides ]

My understanding is not that he has to be between the 30 and 31 (where does the rule say that?), but that they had to be between the 9-yard markers on one side of the field and the other.

Dec 8, 2015, 1:04 AM [ in reply to Re: The real explanation of the offsides ]

SOMEHOW GET THIS INFO TO THOSE (((( FOOLS )))))
ON ESPN......I WOULD IF I KNEW HOW.....THANKS

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

sorry I am slow

Dec 8, 2015, 12:58 AM

What is the violation ?? Can u explain it in very simple terms? I see the guy standing around 32 and they kicking from 35 .. Also there is -9 yard rule and how dies this apply? Meanin -9 from where ?? So your post raises more question s than answers to me

"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Here you go . . .

Dec 8, 2015, 1:10 AM

It's not your fault. The rule is not that obvious to someone who isn't aware of the nine-yard markers - I had this explained to me just the other day by someone on this board, so I didn't know either. If I understood him correctly, then this is the explanation: It's not that there's any requirement about being nine yards away from this or that yard-line. See those two short marks crossing (perpendicular to) the 40 yard line? Those are called "9-yard markers" - they are 9 yards away from the sideline. See on the other end of the 40- near the other sideline? There's another pair there - also nine yards away from the sideline. Apparently what part 5 of that rule means is that all the players of the kicking team must be between those sets of 9-yard markers (rather than between those markers and the sideline)after the ready for play signal is given. I don't know if this means they must all be there when the kick is made, or that they merely have to have been there when the ready signal is given, and are allowed to move back prior to the kick. I suppose it could mean the latter, but I'm not sure.

They can't be outside the 9 yard mark any time after the sig

Dec 8, 2015, 2:03 AM

But before the kick

I'm not so sure

Dec 8, 2015, 2:42 AM

The way the rule reads, they have to be inside the markers at some point between the ready signal and the kick. It does not seem to preclude them being outside the markers at all during such period, it only says they have to be inside at some point in there. This understanding is supported by the fact that earlier iterations of the rules (from years previous), it specified that they only had to "momentarily" be inside the marks during that span.

I think the logic here is that they have to go so far onto the field as to make it clear they are coming onto the field, so that the kicking team can't pull chicanery off by sending guys onto the field clandestinely, at the last second, or by barely inching onto the field of play unnoticed.

a couple things

Dec 8, 2015, 7:47 AM [ in reply to Here you go . . . ]

They are nine yards from the normal hash marks (the ones that dictate where the ball is placed from scrimmage) not the sideline.

There are two because NCAA and NFL use different hashes.

The intent of the rule is so that when the official indicates ready-to-play, you can see all of the players and not have someone starting over at the sideline trying to "hide".

Once the whistle is blown and before the kick players are free to move over.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

The 9 yard mark from what?

Dec 8, 2015, 1:02 AM

Can u explain please ?

"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

From the sideline.

Dec 8, 2015, 6:07 AM

The sidelines are those white stripes that run between one endzone and the other. You know how the field is a rectangle? Well, the sidelines are the long legs of that rectangle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is not an explanation of offsides.

Dec 8, 2015, 1:04 AM

It would however be an explanation if a penalty had been called for illegal procedure or formation.

As it is, offsides was called. The official pulled his flag immediately and the ACC stands by what he saw. The penalty is not reviewable and even if it was, there is not a camera angle that would be able to provide conclusive evidence that the players body did not cross the line of scrimmage before the ball was kicked.

All that matters is...
The Tigers are 13-0, State Champs, ACC Champs, and preparing for the playoffs.

Well, I think it's an explanation in this sense. . .

Dec 8, 2015, 1:17 AM

it clarifies that even if the official thought he saw offsides and did not - a real infraction, albeit a *different* one, occurred, and that the result would have been to re-kick anyway. So, whether it be offsides or illegal formation - six of one, half dozen of the other, the point is, no ultimate injustice was done.

I'm curious as to this . . . did the ref think he saw offsides and just called it that way, and is refusing to back down (along with the ACC), despite there being scant evidence of being offsides - OR, did he see the 9-yard marks issue, but wait until the kick to call it b/c technically speaking, it's not a violation until the kick, b/c the kicking team has up until the kick (after the ready signal), to run the players inside that marker for at least a moment - meaning an infraction has not occurred until the ball is kicked.

Re: This is not an explanation of offsides.

Dec 8, 2015, 1:19 AM [ in reply to This is not an explanation of offsides. ]

THE CALL HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LINE O S......THE
CALL WAS FOR A VOL OF THE 9 HASH MARK VOL...READ THE RULE.
VOL OF THE 9 HASH MARK IS CALLED O/SIDES, NO ONE CROSSED
THE 35 Y/LINE EARLY.....AGAIN, READ THE RULE SLOWLY AND IT
WILL BE AS CLEAR AS COFFEE...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: This is not an explanation of offsides.

Dec 8, 2015, 1:26 AM

1) Is VOL an abbreviation of violation? I hope so. 2) The rule doesn't state what the infraction is so I can read it slowly for you: All players of Team A must have been between the nine-yard marks after the ready-for-play signal.

THE CALL WAS OFFSIDES!

Dec 8, 2015, 1:35 AM [ in reply to Re: This is not an explanation of offsides. ]

Offsides has everything to do with the line of scrimmage.
The explanation you see floating around in social media has nothing to do with the penalty that was actually called during the game. This would have been illegal procedure if it had been called. Very similar to too many players on the field, or illegal formation, but not offsides.

Re: THE CALL WAS OFFSIDES!

Dec 8, 2015, 4:15 AM

I think the ref did call illegal procedure didn't he???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You made me nervous for a second.

Dec 8, 2015, 4:23 AM

I went back and checked, the call was Offsides on the kicking team.

Re: You made me nervous for a second.

Dec 8, 2015, 5:58 AM

The rule about 9 yd marker is about preventing teams from sneaking a guy into the field late is what I've read elsewhere. All players gather inside the marker. The ref signals ready and then the players spread out. Go look at the other kickoffs during the game including the 2nd attempt that followed. It's nearly the same formation for UNC. The ACC has said the 35yd line was crossed early so offsides was the call. Case closed.

Did you intend to respond to me?

Dec 8, 2015, 6:09 AM

I am familiar with the rule. I was just pointing out to the OP, and others that the rule that is being referred to and the rule you are talking about, is a rule regarding kick formation. The penalty that was called was offsides on the kicking team. Which involves a player (or part of a player) from the kicking team crossing the line of scrimmage before the ball was kicked. The image and rule that everyone keeps posting, as "evidence that UNC was offsides", has nothing to do with the penalty that was called. I for one trust the official who had the best point of view on the field and believe he made the right call. Either way, it doesn't matter, Clemson won

It clearly shows and infraction.

Dec 8, 2015, 6:10 AM [ in reply to This is not an explanation of offsides. ]

It makes no sense to argue semantics when the infraction is clearly shown with indisputable, uncontestable photographic evidence.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well CT88,

Dec 8, 2015, 6:15 AM

I was up all night. What the heck else am I supposed to do?
Semantics helps pass the time.

Um, they're between the 1 yard hash.......

Dec 8, 2015, 1:54 AM

Just sayin'

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic