Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The playoffs qualifications can be fixed if
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

The playoffs qualifications can be fixed if

Dec 11, 2018, 8:01 AM

It becomes a 16 team format

Here's the way IMO

All Power five division winners are in
They are required to play the first round as their championship game
13th game of the year (That's 10 teams)

2 Group of 5 teams are in if they are ranked in the top 25
They must play each other in first round (13th game)
If only 1 or no Group of 5 are ranked then their spots are given to at large Power 5 teams

That leaves 4 - 6 other slots for at large teams (decide by CFP committee)
They must pair off for the 13th game

You lose... you're gone!
The tournament plays out in single elimination

Only 2 teams will play a 16th game. So don't start wanking about athletes having to play too many games.

It will stop the constant griping by teams who feel worthy but are not included.

I know everyone except UGA fans this year think conference title games are elimination games
And they should be, if they don't mean anything why play them?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do we want a Pitt team that's going to finish

Dec 11, 2018, 8:04 AM

7-7 this year in the playoff?

Also, will Pitt be the first team in history to finish 7-7? I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing.

"Why do we want"

Dec 11, 2018, 8:09 AM

Why do you think you get to decide who the NC team is?

This is why the system is flawed...people.

Take people out of the equation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: "Why do we want"

Dec 11, 2018, 8:15 AM

Look at the basketball tourney as an example

The team with the best record doesn't always win
but they get hot at the right time.

If you win your division it should mean something
You should get to advance. At least to the championship game of your conference

If you somehow pull off the upset in that game as a 7-5 team
you should get rewarded.

This would be a meritocracy tourney. No personal bias
except for the "at large" teams who would have to eliminate each other

You assume conferences want divisions

Dec 11, 2018, 8:22 AM

At any rate, yes you won your division you should advance.........to your conference championship game.

The winner of the conference champ game advances to the playoff.

There are 10 conferences, 20 teams essentially in the playoffs . 20 champs advance, Don't need any more than that.

No at larges, No polls, no committees, no indexes, no bias, no theorycraft, no odds, no vegas. Simple... win or go home.

If 7-7 Pitt wins a national championship, good for them.

Message was edited by: GeeVille Tiger

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dec 11, 2018, 8:45 AM

One of the best parts of CFB is that the regular season actually matters. This is not March Madness, the MLB or NFL playoffs, or the NCAA Baseball playoffs, where a team that just barely got into the tourney can get hot and win it all.

This is CFB. Every game is important. We should not be giving teams do-overs at the end of the year just to include more in the playoffs.

4 is the right number. This is about finding the 4 teams that have been the best all season long and letting those teams duke it out.

Snowflake Basher........Out

It would still matter

Dec 11, 2018, 9:33 AM

You have to make your conference champ game.

You are exactly the reason it will never be a true playoff. People refuse to remove their opinions. There will forever be bias.

The only diff between 2018 and 1952 is 2 additional teams and less voters. Which is progress. I can't deny that.

Btw, I would love for all those tournaments you mentioned to go to conference champ only as well.

There are only 10 div1 conferences...so though don't

Dec 11, 2018, 8:06 AM

Need more than 10.

Let's get real. The powers that be DO NOT want to

Dec 11, 2018, 8:19 AM

expand beyond four teams. They HATE the idea. There is NO chance they will ever go to 16. And on that point they are right. Sixteen would mean two teams would be playing 16 games WITHOUT any conference championships.

Re: Let's get real. The powers that be DO NOT want to

Dec 11, 2018, 8:28 AM

The conference championship games are the first games played in this scenario

Who are the powers that be?

Dec 11, 2018, 8:31 AM [ in reply to Let's get real. The powers that be DO NOT want to ]

Its not the networks. The additional programming is too enticing.

And that money will flow to the universities and the NCAA as a whole.

A rengotiated contract coming sooner than later for eight teams. Sixteen is a way way off thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be factual

Dec 11, 2018, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Let's get real. The powers that be DO NOT want to ]

Yes this isn't a college football playoff

This is a tournament between the acc, big10, big12, sec, pac12, Notre dame, Disney, and a handful of bowl presidents.

It is NOT a NCAA playoff.

Re: The playoffs qualifications can be fixed if

Dec 11, 2018, 8:28 AM

The Powers that be don't even want an 8 team playoff, and you think you can fix it with a 16 game playoff?
First question, how many regular seasons games do you get rid of? And do you get rid of some of the traditional OOC games like UGA/Clemson or Clemson / Carolina?
Second question, what do you do with the "traditional "bowl games?
I don't mean the Papa John or Meineke Car Care Bowl. I'm talking Rose, Sugar, Orange, bowl games that not only make money but have conference tie in's?
And what about the added expenses of team travel? You're not talking just one extra game here?!
And how about the fans?
Yea, you have a fix for the playoff's but I don't see a fix for the regular season unless of course, you are wanting to make the college season as long as the regular season in the NFL.
And of course, the college professors are just going to love working their class schedules around the "student-athletes", who are first, and foremost "students".
This isn't college basketball where you can pair 64 teams over 3 weeks. You can't play 2 games over a weekend for 3 weeks in a row.
You already have almost one month to prepare for 4 teams. How many months do you think it would take to prepare for 16.
Sorry, I don't think your fix is the fix.
But hey go ahead and submit it to the committee.

Dec 11, 2018, 8:37 AM

Okay
No regular schedules change, still 12 games
Play whatever rival games you normally schedule

No conference championship games change, all are played
as the 13th game of the season...just like the current situation

Playoff don't need a 4 week layoff to start. 2 weeks would be enough
1st 2 rounds are
championship game 1st Sat of DEC
Round of 8 2nd Saturday of DEC

2 weeks off then play off just like the current system
for 4 teams.

How will the bowls be affected, that is not the point of this post

The point is to get everything to count without bias

Oh and the profs won't have to work around anymore athletes schedules than they do now
because students are off for Christmas break for most of this

The griping will always be there and...

Dec 11, 2018, 8:30 AM

that is not a compelling reason for expansion.
Regular season matters. Win games and you get in. Lose a game and subject yourself to the system. Lose 2 games and stay home. If you are a non power 5 school, schedule major non-conference games and don’t demand home and home. If you are Ohio State, don’t lose by 30. That should cover the complaints.

Dec 11, 2018, 9:26 AM

The playoffs are fixed now even with out your or my input

Dec 11, 2018, 9:30 AM

Sounds good - but I can see teams intentionally dropping a game somewhere ("pulling a Bama")..

For instance - in a year like this year - Bama will intentionally drop one somewhere to get out of playing UGA in the first round of playoffs. They'll of course still get the at-large bid because of "bbbut they pass the eye test".. so instead of UGA, they'll get UCF which is as close to a first round bye as you can get.

It aint broken

Dec 11, 2018, 9:38 AM

as long as Clemson is in.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic