Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Title 42 should be rescinded
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 633

Title 42 should be rescinded

Apr 7, 2021, 1:12 PM

https://www.cato.org/blog/border-looks-identical-2019-without-repeat-crossers

Expulsion under Title 42 was supposed to deter people from coming and prevent the spread of Covid. It has failed miserably at both of these. Expulsion has only added to the illegal flow as many more people would otherwise be pursuing legal asylum claims in the US.

It has also likely contributed to the increase in number of unaccompanied minors, as parents know they will not be allowed in as a family. Biden should end this policy and focus on building up our asylum system and sponsorship programs, allowing people with valid asylum claims into the country.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think parents are being told to use their own children as

Apr 7, 2021, 1:20 PM

pawns to make the US govt look bad for holding them. They believe the US will eventually let them in to join them.

I also think Mexico should be offended that all of these folks are running from the horrors of Honduras (for example) - but the horrors aren't so bad that that they would consider living in Mexico.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think parents are being told to use their own children as

Apr 7, 2021, 1:58 PM

Who do you think is telling the parents this?

The problem is that Mexico can be just as dangerous as the countries they are fleeing. Also, the Mexican agency charged with helping refugees, COMAR, only has four offices, and none near the border.

Besides that, neither US law nor international commitments require Central Americans to apply for asylum in Mexico. The Biden admin should uphold our immigration laws, allowing people to make asylum claims, and stop hiding behind BS like Title 42.

The people they are paying to get them from Honduras to

Apr 7, 2021, 2:20 PM

the US border are telling them this.

Are all of the kids crossing the border asylum seekers or illegals from Mexico? Since Biden has said we aren't making kids go back, I assume it's some of each.

I'm familiar with the International Law - I also believe the numbers from DHS that showed asylum seekers allowed to wait in the US don't show up for their court dates.

The only thing stopping Biden from (mostly) opening the border is the pandemic. Title 52 won't matter after that...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The people they are paying to get them from Honduras to

Apr 7, 2021, 3:19 PM

It's certainly possible that the traffickers are telling them this. It seems more likely to me that the reason why would be the policy in place (only allowing unaccompanied minors), not some scheme to embarrass the US gov.

Sheltering unaccompanied children and allowing them to seek US asylum or other forms of humanitarian refuge is not a new policy crafted by the Biden administration. That process is outlined in U.S. law but the Trump administration suspended it last year.

Not sure what the DHS says about it, but I know the Justice Dept. estimates a 60-75% return rate. The solution to this, in my opinion, is to use alternatives to detention (ATDs). ICE’s current ATDs are extremely effective at ensuring compliance. The Government Accountability Office found that 95% of those on “full-service” ATDs (which include case management) appear for their final hearings. Data from Contract Year 2017 from BI, Inc., showed a 99.27% appearance rate at immigration court hearings and a 91.5% appearance rate at final hearings for those enrolled in its programming that includes some case management. Also, the daily costs are less than 7% of that of detention.

Biden uses a lot of pro-immigration rhetoric, but his response to this situation has been puzzling. He proposed to raise the emergency cap on refugees from 15000 to 62500, but is now delaying signing the presidential determination that would put this into effect. This twitter thread goes over a lot of the other things Biden has done so far at the border that are counter to his pro-immigrant stances.

https://twitter.com/David_J_Bier/status/1374835196512591872?s=20

Forgot to add, Biden has done some good things like adding 16,000 emergency beds for unaccompanied children. In a sense, we're going back to normal on border policy, but normal is actually bad.

Message was edited by: Clemson_Chris®

That's good info. I'll need to take a while to absorb that

Apr 7, 2021, 5:07 PM

Twitter thread.

I don't recall the exact numbers I saw on the DHS website - it's been a couple of years - I just remember the percentage seemed very low.

I could be wrong (obviously) but I think the only thing holding the borders closed at all right now is the pandemic. That's why Biden hasn't raised the cap on refugee's yet - he'll get grief for bringing them in during the pandemic.

Re: That's good info. I'll need to take a while to absorb that

Apr 7, 2021, 5:29 PM

Biden is getting plenty of grief over what's happening at the border already, albeit often for the wrong reasons. Maybe the pandemic is what's holding him back, but it seems like he's using it more as an excuse not to implement much needed changes, many of which he campaigned on.

Replies: 6
| visibility 633
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic