Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will the cops who shot Brooks be charges or did Brooks deserve it?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Will the cops who shot Brooks be charges or did Brooks deserve it?

Jun 15, 2020, 7:24 AM

I have no opinion on this case. Its an odd one. What say you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To me, this one could go either way....

Jun 15, 2020, 7:34 AM

I feel that if it could go either way, you should err on the side of not killing someone.

Cop should be fired, and probably be charged... but with something minor.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Re: To me, this one could go either way....

Jun 15, 2020, 7:42 AM

That sounds reasonable.

That is too reasonable

Jun 15, 2020, 7:54 AM [ in reply to To me, this one could go either way.... ]

the cops are unfortunately at a impasse in history and will be charged when they shouldnt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dear "Thumbs Down Issuer", please make yourself known

Jun 15, 2020, 12:07 PM [ in reply to To me, this one could go either way.... ]

with the reasoning that my post was given a thumbs down.

I'm curious to see which part of my post angered/offended/upset you enough to go out of your way to click the "thumbs down" button.

Re: Dear "Thumbs Down Issuer", please make yourself known

Jun 15, 2020, 12:10 PM

You might have a stalker. I do.

I did this one just to prove that I didn't TD the first one.

Jun 15, 2020, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Dear "Thumbs Down Issuer", please make yourself known ]

Because logically, why would I TD one and not admit to it but admit to the other?

Hopefully this makes you feel better that it wasn't me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably FBCoach bc you kinda said

Jun 15, 2020, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Dear "Thumbs Down Issuer", please make yourself known ]

Nah, Coach is a solid dude... just not very bright.***

Jun 15, 2020, 12:30 PM

It has been declared a Homicide....***

Jun 15, 2020, 7:45 AM

Re: It has been declared a Homicide....***

Jun 15, 2020, 7:54 AM

I didnt know that. Well if I were the officer's lawyer I might argue that the officer's life was actually in danger because if Mr. Brooks had tased the officer that Mr. Brooks could have taken the cops gun. I think the cops should have just let him run though. They had his car and knew who he was at that stage. Tough situation though.

The courts will throw that cop to the wolves simply because

Jun 15, 2020, 9:39 AM

They don't want to deal with the aftermath of a not guilty verdict.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

i thought homicide was a legal term not a medical term***

Jun 15, 2020, 9:34 AM [ in reply to It has been declared a Homicide....*** ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most police shootings are...

Jun 15, 2020, 10:18 AM [ in reply to It has been declared a Homicide....*** ]

but then virtually all of them are ruled justifiable.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two wrongs don’t make a right. Law enforcement should

Jun 15, 2020, 9:00 AM

Not shoot a suspect in the back unless unless threat of deadly violence to the officer or the public. A taser is not considered a lethal weapon by definition since used in lieu of deadly force. The ATL police had his car and drivers license so getting a warrant for his arrest should have been easy in he escaped initial apprehension.

The suspect was very stupid, and behaved erratically. God only knows why he created the situation and then resisted arrest.

Re: Two wrongs don’t make a right. Law enforcement should

Jun 15, 2020, 9:12 AM

I think sometimes people might resist because they realize they will be stuck in jail for a bit and will miss work the next day or what not. They realize their life is messed up and is about to spiral. They could lose their job etc etc. That and the fact that they are usually drunk or on drugs.

Re: Two wrongs don’t make a right. Law enforcement should

Jun 15, 2020, 9:15 AM

I actually had an experience. I didnt resist arrest, but when I was at Clemson they took me in for an open container late at night and I missed a test the next morning because I was in jail. It messed my semester up.

Clemson PD are way worse than Furman PD

Jun 15, 2020, 12:24 PM

Re: Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Jun 15, 2020, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Two wrongs don’t make a right. Law enforcement should ]

I completely agree with that but insist that a taser can leave anyone under control of the person holding the taser. A taser can allow anyone to take a cops pistol which potentially puts the cop's life in danger.

This is how it works. When a cop tells you that you are under arrest you are under arrest. If you have a difference in opinion you take it up in court. Of the millions who are placed under arrest each year none get away. Even if they leave the scene of the arrest they eventually end up in court and their efforts to escape are then well rewarded.

When you get into a physical fight with a couple cops and take a taser from one of them you are making a life altering mistake. The cop was charged with arresting someone who failed a field sobriety test and delivering him to a court of law for trial.

With what I know now I might find him guilty of manslaughter but a defense that he feared for his life because the drunk aimed a taser at him and the potential that the perp might take another weapon, his pistol, would demand a finding of not guilty for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Legitimate point. A second Cop also had capability...

Jun 15, 2020, 10:28 AM

to intervene.

I hold LE to high standards and will continue to do so. I am willing to pay higher taxes for better compensation that is directed at better candidates and training for public safety interactions.. perhaps even some public safety officers focused on situations where the use of force is unlikely.

The continuum of situations where LE has to respond is exceedingly broad from a senior citizen interaction to an active shooter. The wide array of skills needed for the best response outcomes may be more than can reasonably be expected. The force component required for one end of this continuum may be inappropriately for the other end.

Cops have a hard job. Achieving better outcomes is complex but first 4 or 5 steps are pretty straightforward.

I agree.

Jun 15, 2020, 4:10 PM

A cop's job is not cut and dry. Each officer puts his/her life on the line every time they stop a crime or arrest someone. If we considered their positions by thinking how we would react if we were charged with making an arrest I think we might back away from today's popular rhetoric.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2020, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Two wrongs don’t make a right. ]

Resisting arrest, taking a taser, pointing it at the cop, but not firing it, while running away is not an imminent threat to the officer. His life cannot reasonably be construed as "in danger". The coroner ruled it a Homicide. The guy was guilty of resisting and fighting cops, that isn't grounds for summary execution.

Apprehending drunks is certainly in the cop's wheelhouse. If a cop has to shoot a drunk in the back twice, while running away, to apprehend him, he shouldn't be a cop.

Most cops are good and decent people trying to do the right thing. But just as there are bad apples among movie stars and priests, there are also bad cops.

The idea of defending a bad cop, just because he's a "cop" is beyond me. Society as a whole and certainly all of the police benefit from getting rid of the bad cops.

But he did fire it though. Does that matter?***

Jun 15, 2020, 2:25 PM

GO TIGERS!!

Jun 15, 2020, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Two wrongs don’t make a right. ]

I agree, and I think a jury will have a hard time getting a conviction. It was a very unfortunate situation.

In the military, they will take well-known scenarios and add them to training curricula. You can't do that for every situation, but someone should be looking at changing training techniques if we want different outcomes.

In this environment, their lives are over as they know them

Jun 15, 2020, 9:36 AM

Regardless of justification. In my opinion, if you attack two cops, steal their weapon, use that weapon against them, all while trying to evade arrest.... You're probably going to get shot..

But they've already been tried and convicted in the media.. So they'll be done.

GO TIGERS!!

Yes, if I were a cop, I am not sure I could pull the trigger

Jun 15, 2020, 11:21 AM

even if I saw that someone else's life were at stake. I know that's the job and I know that's right, but I also know that my life would probably be over. Which is why it's a good thing I'm not a cop.

null

Saw this last night

Jun 15, 2020, 11:28 AM

Re: Saw this last night

Jun 15, 2020, 11:50 AM

T3Tiger® said:

Definitely changes the picture for me. BLM is trying to paint Brooks as some poor family guy that just had too much to drink and was trying to sleep it off in his car. Turns out, like Floyd and Arbery, he had a pretty long criminal record, including a previous DUI and child neglect/endangerment. He likely knew he was headed back to prison. I’m pretty tired of BLM and the MSM just glossing over this stuff. I don’t have any family members or friends with records like that. I doubt any of you do either.

Respectfully T3, the clear implication in your opinion seems to be that because those men had records, they're deaths at the hands of the police are more reasonable than if they had not had records.

It is settled law, that if you are charged with a crime, you can be tried only for that crime and any previous criminal record is not admissible at trial because it clearly prejudices a jury.

The implication of your view seems to be that Arbury, who was murdered by 2 rednecks, Floyd who was murdered on camera in broad daylight by a cop and Brooks who was shot in the back while running away is somehow less egregious because of past records. It is absolutely irrelevant any past criminal history, completely.

The rights chants "All lives Matter" as a counter to "Black Lives Matter", but in fact that chant doesn't appear to include black lives.

It is indisputable fact that black people are 4 1/2 times more likely to be pulled over by cops, the are 5 times more likely to do jail time for the same crimes than white people. 50% of the deaths by cops are black people while they only represent 13.4% of the population. Underlying this prejudice is the idea that black people deserve to get what they get because they commit all the crimes. That is simply not true.

I would suggest to you that the 'conservative media's" demonization of BLM has clouded your otherwise sound reasoning. BLM is not a terrorist organization, they are not all looters and rioters they are not all crazy, even if one of the founders is a nut job. They are made up, primarily but average African-Americans who are fed up with so many interactions with police simply because they are black. I can't believe you can't see that. Fox News is misleading and propagandist. They demonize BLM, Dems, Libs and Never Trump Republicans. And they do it for money. It simply paints 'alternative facts' to what is to everyone else-reality.

Jun 15, 2020, 11:53 AM

Jun 15, 2020, 12:00 PM

That's really a shame T3, I consider you one of the more reasonable conservative posters and often agree with you.

I must have hit a nerve because you didn't address the body of my post.

Felix seriously fck off

Jun 15, 2020, 12:06 PM

Re: Felix seriously fck off

Jun 15, 2020, 12:49 PM

T3Tiger® said:

You insult all of us on here with your bs and stereotype anyone who disagrees with you as victims of Fox News. Then you try to claim innocence and act like you’re some friend. It gets old. Really old. This board was A LOT better while you were gone.

You are a victim of conservative media's "outrage machine". You consume copious amounts of it and then parrot it on here.

I don't understand why you get so personal. Just put me on ignore. Don't respond to me.

You might seriously want to take a look at how disagreement upsets you so?

You get angry with me because I make sound, sane and reasonable points.

Grow up a little, eh? It's just a football board dude, it's not like I shot your dog.

Yeah it’s me Felix

Jun 15, 2020, 1:00 PM

Re: Yeah it’s me Felix

Jun 15, 2020, 2:20 PM

T3Tiger® said:

Look at the board and all the posts directed to you yesterday (which I stayed out of btw). I guess you just disregarded those because you are making sound arguments lol. You are repetitive and annoying and you automatically assume you are right about everything. Also, you know way more about Fox News than I do, yet that is your fallback argument against everyone.

I am right, alot. But sometimes you and others are right and I learn from it.

Tigermanac for example has a unique perspective that I listen to and have learned from.

You just have to figure a way to not take it so personally.

I think Trump is an existential threat to our country.

I will continue to post evidence that supports my conclusion.

You just should not think I'm attacking you when I disagree with you. ;)

Jun 15, 2020, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Felix seriously fck off ]

Many of us conservatives live in your liberal bubble. We see it and see through it because we can think objectively and critically. We know cause and effect and know BS when we see it. Not saying "we" are smarter than "you" because I know some liberals that are very smart, and it confounds me as to why they believe what they do.

You see, from our perspective, the lies do not stop. The MSM is 99-1. If the media were neutral, Trump would win 75% of the popular vote - no kidding. The MSM and social media have created a false bubble where everyone (libs) thinks everyone thinks like them. They do not.

I have the self-confidence and situational awareness to know beyond a shadow of a doubt I am not racist. Yet, "you" tell me I am exactly that every day. You say the culture I grew up in that values education, respect for authority, family values, and the law is somehow a privilege I got at the expense of someone else. WE ALL CALL BULL $HIT on that theory.

We all have our story. Me - only child with single mom with blue collar job. Drugs in my neighborhood growing up. Had a job at 13 washing dishes in a restaurant. Somehow, someway, I made it through w/o giving into the drug scene. Studied my a$$ off to get a PhD in engineering, eventually.

I believe most conservatives are very concerned about the plight of the black community. For me, TBH my concern dwindles just a bit each day that goes by with speeches from BLM about white privilege and the MSM leading with headlines that "sleeping in Wendy's should not be a reason to die" which is disingenuous at the least.

I used to tutor black kids in middle and high school. It was very rewarding. I probably need to get back to that.

I"m sick of so many people being misled into believing liberals own the high ground. The way we see it, liberals are lawless, lack morals, instigate violence, etc. If I could live in a place where only conservatives live, I would consider it!

I do not live in a conservative bubble. I mainly watch/read MSM (but admit I need to stop, because it stresses me out so much) and live in the liberal bubble, watching the feeding frenzy. 90% of the policies, programs, proposals supported on the left will DO NOTHING but keep blacks down and dependent. This is one of my biggest frustrations...the fact that most of the libs are being played by the political elites. All to keep the 95% black block vote.

Everything the liberals claim to hate, they are and do. This is how we see it.

Jun 16, 2020, 12:18 AM

I appreciate your extensive thoughts and honesty. But I would offer this. First off, I've never called you a racist. I can disagree with you on policy and it doesn't bother me at all. I generally don't attack people personally. I see that you may watch MSM but your views are pure Fox News.

The thing I don't understand is the need to demonize so many. You stereotype liberals and think they're all the same. That is pure Hannity, Carlson and Ingraham.

You never, ever see the MSM demonize conservatives, it simply never happens. But Fox's narrative for at least 10 years has been to demonize "the left"(whoever they are) "liberals', "democrats" and "never trumpers". It is an outrage machine that ensures that you 'want to understand liberals".

Only Fox News talking heads suggest that liberals incite violence, which clearly isn't true. How many 'liberals' have rioted, looted or fought the cops?? No, those were criminals, now liberals.

Fox News is a poison that misleads honest and sincere people into an alternate reality, and OAN is much worse.

Think about it. You suggest that the MSM, which includes literally hundreds of outlets, are all in a conspiracy together to falsify information, mislead all of America all to get Donald Trump. You couldn't have possibly come up with that alone.

No one, ever has attacked the media like Donald Trump and his campaign. He has apparently convinced you and those that believe as you do, that only news that is favorable to him is accurate news, and all others are fake, even international outlets are fake.

That is sad to me. Trump was going to make America 'Great Again", when is that supposed to happen?

Currently, we have the 1918 Pandemic, 1929 Depression and the 1968 race riots all at the same time.
This is how great Trump's leadership is. These are facts. Yet, you continue to insist that the problem is the 'fake news' media that's really the problem. That is baffling to me. With respect, I don't understand how anyone could reasonably support this President when the result of his leadership have been so devestating to our country.

Jun 15, 2020, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Saw this last night ]

Felix2®

Your stats are incorrect.

250/1,002 fatalities at the hands of police were black. 25%, not 50%.

'White' fatalities were just over 40%.

pick and choose stats

Jun 15, 2020, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Saw this last night ]

Blacks commit over 50% of homicides and over 60% of robberies (2019 data). The large majority black-on-black crime. As you say, while making up < 15% of the population.

Their per-capita crime rate is about 4.5x that of whites.

BLM chants "death to cops" on the streets which is very effective since we know recently six officers were murdered.

18 people killed in chicago over memorial day in 24 hours.

We all know why (poverty, lack of education, opportunities, etc.) these things happen, but it is a very difficult situation to solve and cannot be solved by what the Democrats offer. Why does everyone not see that after decades of giving them fish that we need to teach them to fish?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/6/8/21281998/chicago-deadliest-day-violence-murder-history-police-crime

Re: pick and choose stats

Jun 16, 2020, 12:22 AM

I have no idea where you get your stats. Look it up on the FBI's website.

Further, black people killing black people doesn't somehow cancel out cops shooting unarmed black people.
It's a frequent argument that I see made, that is completely irrelevant.

The stats are correct

Jun 16, 2020, 12:33 AM

why it is relevant

Jun 16, 2020, 12:47 AM [ in reply to Re: pick and choose stats ]

This is the point that some people are missing with BLM. BLM only seems to come into play when a cop shots a black person. However, there are way, way, way more black deaths in inner cities that don't involve cops. But there seems to be no outrage over this from BLM. Why? Good, decent people are dying with no little to no care from everyone that pops out of the woodwork when a cop shots someone. Brooks was definitely not a good person - should the cop have shot him? Debatable. But he's another martyr for BLM.

Message was edited by: RC Tiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2020, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Saw this last night ]

I don't think the criminal record is that relevant in this case. The guy definitely ran because he realized he violated parole and knew he was going back. I still don't think that means much though.

If you made up your mind then why ask the question?

Jun 15, 2020, 12:03 PM

Re: If you made up your mind then why ask the question?

Jun 15, 2020, 12:18 PM

If that is fact that he beat his kids so bad that he got 7 years makes me glad he was killed. That said, the cop might be in the wrong. I don't know. 7 years for beating kids? If that is true that is just awful. He must have been crushing them. Glad he is gone if true.

Jun 15, 2020, 12:26 PM

Jun 15, 2020, 12:41 PM

Glad he is gone. I hope the cop gets off lightly.

LOL

Jun 15, 2020, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Saw this last night ]

Re: LOL

Jun 15, 2020, 12:45 PM

Wasnt it that he was sleeping in the drive thu passed out?

This just gets better and better

Jun 15, 2020, 1:36 PM

Here's what the local news said about it....

Jun 15, 2020, 11:52 AM

The coroner ruled it a homicide. That doesn't mean much.

The 'experts' feel it will likely be ruled justified. You also need to understand that Brooks was fleeing with a taser in an area with public around. He was shot "in the back" while his torso was turned firing the taser at the officer. If the taser hits the officer, Brooks could have taken his firearm and used on the other officer or the public. Keep in mind these are split second decisions.

That said, they could have offered to get him a cab or have a friend/family member come get him. He wasn't on a highway or busy road. He was in a parking lot.

Also, he could have just taken his lumps and taken the DUI. He failed a field test and blew a 0.108 BAC level.

So many decisions could have changed the outcome, but no one helped the situation.

After listening to everything, I think they'll find it justified and the officer will get paid for wrongful termination. Especially how quick it was made. They are still protected by their union afterall.

Re: Here's what the local news said about it....

Jun 15, 2020, 12:04 PM

Was he in a parking spot or in the drive thru? If he was in a spot they should have just driven him home imo.

Jun 15, 2020, 12:06 PM

Nope, drive thru. Fell asleep. Kill him, he blocked access to the delicious "Baconators".

Jun 15, 2020, 12:13 PM

I was thinking he should be arrested since he was in the drive thru, but had been in a spot sleeping it off that he should have been taken home. No way they can let a passed out drunk driver in a drive thru just go home. He didnt need to be shot obviously.

The first officer to respond found him in the drive thru....

Jun 15, 2020, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's what the local news said about it.... ]

Woke him up. He then drove his vehicle to the parking spot. The responding officer smelled liquor, so called in a DUI certified officer to administer the tests.

Re: The first officer to respond found him in the drive thru....

Jun 15, 2020, 12:14 PM

Thanks

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic