Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The playoff doesn’t need to be fixed.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

The playoff doesn’t need to be fixed.

Dec 11, 2018, 8:58 AM

If a team doesn’t make the four team playoff they only have themselves to blame for LOSING. 16 teams even 8 teams is ridiculous. Every game counts. A champion is rewarded for having an outstanding season. There’s very little room for error if you want to win it all and I’ve always loved that about college football. I can’t believe all this whining about Georgia. The committee doesn’t exist to figure out who the second, third or fourth best teams are. The committee exists to chose four teams to determine who the best team is. It’s already clear that Georgia is not the best team and that’s why they’re not in the playoff. Putting them in would be redundant since they have already lost to Alabama in the postseason. All the people whining about the playoff format blow my mind. If you expand it to six teams #7 will complain about not getting in. If you expand it to eight #9 will complain. 16 teams. Same thing. The committee has done a great job of giving us a National Champion. That’s the goal and I could care less if Georgia is better than Oklahoma. We don’t know that at this point. What we do know is that Georgia lost to an undefeated Alabama team as well as being blown out by LSU in the regular season and that’s all we need to know to know that Georgia is not deserving of a national championship.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, great minds....

Dec 11, 2018, 9:02 AM

:)

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/The-regular-season-matters-in-CFB-1863512?tstart=0

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

But but but ...

Dec 11, 2018, 9:05 AM

UCF

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's on them...

Dec 11, 2018, 9:08 AM

UCF needs to actually schedule somebody decent before they get to join the party... And before you tell me that "no one is willing to play them", look up the politics of it.

UCF is only offering big schools to come play a home and home with them. If they want to actually be part of the conversation, do what Boise St did. Boise St offered to play any team, any time, any where. And then they went out and beat them.

Clemson, Bama, OSU, Florida, FSU, Miami, or any other decent team isn't going to travel to UCF to play them. UCF has got to swallow their pride and go play and beat people at their house to earn respect before they try to schedule home-and-homes.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: But but but ...

Dec 11, 2018, 9:21 AM [ in reply to But but but ... ]

They need to play someone with a pulse. If you want to be elite, then you have to play elite teams regardless of the 'terms'. However, since their winless season they have shied away from bigger programs.

When you are a very little brother, you take UF up on that two for one deal, not whine that the big problem is that no one wants to do a home and home series. Keep in mind, in 2015 UCF was 0-12. Nada. Got blown out UCONN and lost to both Furman and the 3-9 Coots. Imagine if a true Power/elite team schedules UCF and they go back to their winless ways.

So their "level" of OCC is based on a winless season. Back then (14, 15, 16) they at least played Stanford, Michigan, Ped State and even the coots/Mizzu... and got lambasted and then switched to UNC, Pitt, and Maryland.

Frankly while being undefeated in the AAC is an accomplishment the level of play in that groups is so bad compared with un-inspiring wins, there is no real claim for UCF. I still think a top 10 nod is too high.

Re: The playoff doesn’t need to be fixed.

Dec 11, 2018, 9:08 AM

We're lucky we are in the ACC so we can be in the playoff almost every year if we don't choke. I bet we will be in the playoff at worst 4 out of the next 5 years. Bama or Georgia will be in all 5. I think the reason they will expand to 8 teams down the road will be due to money and TV ratings. They will want to get more of the country involved.

Hopefully, they’ll see that expanding to 8 will bring in

Dec 11, 2018, 9:25 AM

more playoff revenue but less regular season revenue and ditch the plan to expand.

The more that are added to a playoff, the more watered down the regular season becomes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hopefully, they’ll see that expanding to 8 will bring in

Dec 11, 2018, 9:32 AM

Yeah I don't think 8 will really water down the season at all for the nation. It will add interest. I like the way it is because it works for us, but it will go to 8. They want to get more of the nation involved. There are huge markets that are losing interest.

Dec 11, 2018, 9:58 AM

Right now, we kinda have 8.... just not a bracket. 4 is perfect so far.

You had Mich, 31-0hio St, UGA, and UCF in that eight. They "lost" their first round based on the regular season/conference "championships". I use "championship" loosely as the 31-0'er and UMich game was the B10 champ game of sorts. UGA played Bama for a spot, and UCF played no-one with a pulse. UCF lost to weak OOC scheduling and weak Conference play.

Most of those teams either had a bad loss (31-0), a lost to the top 8 (Bama over UGA and ND/31-0 over UMich). The only whining team UCF might have been a better candidate if they played any top team as their OOC was a combined 19-28, then their conference foes were 62-72. So they played a combined 81-100 opponents and most of those were very weak teams.

I still think their 7th ranking is a pity party as anyone is the top 15 is better.

Dec 11, 2018, 10:04 AM

It may be almost perfect in the pure sense of crowning a national champion, but not for tv ratings. It's going to 8. I think it will be fun to be quite honest, even if in theory it isn't necessary.

Dec 11, 2018, 12:03 PM

I kinda agree on the TV ratings... but at the same time, we would likely have to lose the conference championship games. And I would assume that Bama/Georgia and OU/Texas likely had as strong of ratings as a quarter-final playoff game. But, losing the CCG would be interesting and also might cause realignment into smaller conferences of 8-9 teams.

Without a CCG, the conference champion is based on seasonal play and the divisions suddenly don't work well. You could have a few 7-1 teams at the top with unequal schedules and a lack of a clear tie-breaker. Lets call it a B12 problem... but with more teams. Sure, it solves the issue of the 12-0 vs the 7-5 underwhelming CCG (that is more about division competitiveness) but you would also avoid the potential "big" matchup as well (fabled FSU vs Miami).

Logistics for three rounds of neutral sites would be a challenge... definitely for the fans, so I can see high-seed hosting initially but that could cause a lot of B10 always having to travel south.

I don't think 8 waters down the reg season, but I don't

Dec 11, 2018, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Hopefully, they’ll see that expanding to 8 will bring in ]

think it's necessary. It depends if you want a playoff champion or a champion.

Similar to Bama last year and Ohio St in 2014. Those were playoff champions. They weren't really the #1 team throughout the whole year. It's a difficult thing to determine.

Obviously the New England Patriots were the best team in football when they lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl. In reality, you should probably just make a 16 game regular season and then take a vote.

Or, you can determine it on the field and have a National Champion with the understanding that it's really more of a playoff champion.

Re: I don't think 8 waters down the reg season, but I don't

Dec 11, 2018, 10:22 AM

"you should probably just make a 16 game regular season and then take a vote."

That's one of the dumbest statements I've heard on here in a while. Yeah, go back to the "good ole days"!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd much rather have a playoff. But, my point is you're

Dec 11, 2018, 10:34 AM

just as likely to deem a worthy champion by vote.

The 9-7 Giants weren't a better team than the 16-0 Patriots.

Re: I'd much rather have a playoff. But, my point is you're

Dec 11, 2018, 12:36 PM

They were on that day....

I'm looking forward to an eight team playoff

Dec 11, 2018, 9:51 AM

With +100 teams in FBS, a four team playoff is a farce.

If they officially make it for P5 only then four is fine I guess.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm looking forward to an eight team playoff

Dec 11, 2018, 10:26 AM

Two loss teams don’t deserve to get a shot at a national championship. Let’s just say before the ACCCG we already know that we’re getting into an eight team playoff and let’s just say we decide to not play starters and lose just because we know we can. What kind of precedence does an eight team playoff set for teams in that position? JMO here but I love the way CFB demands that National Champs play at a high level and win all season long. Sometimes you can slip up and get into a four team playoff. Sometimes you can’t. If you lose you have to hope someone else slips up. This season you couldn’t do that. This season is a prime example of why we needed a four team playoff because under the BCS system ND would’ve been undefeated and left without a shot at the NC. As far as UGA and OSU are concerned their path to the playoff was simple: just win and they didn’t do it. Both teams suffered not just losses but blowout losses. They only have themselves to blame for being on the outside looking in. The committee didn’t make them lose. As far as UCF goes I hate it for them last year but they only have themselves to blame for scheduling. Those teams know they will be in that position unless they beef up their schedules but they play garbage schedules anyway. Again the committee doesn’t set their schedules. It’s not the committee’s fault that there will be good teams on the outside looking in every year. If you expand the playoff it will just be a supersized version of the same dilemma. Just my .02.

Dec 11, 2018, 12:11 PM

Your first sentence is asinine based on the simple fact that UGA could beat anybody.

Is it fair that they have to go through Bama and we get Pitt in our “play in game”?

There are nowhere near enough OOC matchups between the top teams to accurately determine who is best.

For proof look at how many times the #1 seed has won the natty....

It’s all subjective, biased guesswork. We need a legitimate playoff system.

Dec 11, 2018, 12:25 PM

Your response is asinine because it has already been proven on the field that UGA is not the best team in the country. They could’ve easily proven otherwise by simply winning. Again the playoff does not exist to figure out who the second, third, fourth or fifth best teams are. Nice try though. Maybe you should go read my original post. National champions not only peak at the right time they are rewarded for winning throughout the season something UGA did not do. And BTW your suggestion to do away with conference championship games is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard because in essence you get rid of conference championships. You go to great lengths to make a case for a team that has no case to be in the playoff.

Dec 11, 2018, 1:01 PM

Amazing that every other sport known to man has a legitimate playoff and it seems to work without controversy.

The conference championship was awarded for years without a championship game.

You’re a homer and a sheep. If Clemson was in Ohio St. or UGA’s spot you’d be singing a different tune.

Maybe UGA could beat anybody but they didn’t do it on the field.

Dec 11, 2018, 1:16 PM

Wrong. If Clemson loses they have no one to blame but themselves for not getting in. Some years you can lose a game. Some years you can’t. This is a year that you couldn’t. Again yet another asinine response from you. Conferences are simply too large to avoid having a championship game in many cases. Had UGA have taken care of business with LSU they would have a case for a shot at a national championship. The committee didn’t make them lose two games. You have no case for UGA based on the results that have already happened on the field. Go argue with a fence post.

Re: Maybe UGA could beat anybody but they didn’t do it on the field.

Dec 11, 2018, 3:54 PM

And yet they’d be favored against both Notre Dame and Oklahoma.

Looks like you’re wrong.

Maybe uga should play a better OOC schedule...

Dec 11, 2018, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm looking forward to an eight team playoff ]

So they could lose a third game and really be out of it.
Keep trying to water it down....they still won’t let the gamecocks in

Dec 11, 2018, 10:06 AM

more teams in the playoffs, would that mean a shorter regular season? I say leave as is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 10:13 AM

It's been fixed . Bama wins it just about every year ... even on years they weren't supposed to get invited .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 11, 2018, 12:34 PM

I agree that the current system works just fine.

-I would also stipulate that any independent (cough cough) Notre Dame should still have to play in a conference championship... (Whether it be someone from the BIG that they probably played Historically, or Some other Independent team). Just the fact that they get a extra BYE week isn't exactly fair... but it is what it is. They were undefeated against ranked opponents and that merited inclusion.

The one thing I would throw in there... I wish there were more games at this time. Not the huge drop off, but these are student athletes that should have exams at this period and much needed R&R.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps the most persuasive argument to keep as is,

Dec 11, 2018, 12:39 PM

is that in the five years of the CFP, no team outside of the top 4 has won it. Why go to 8 if this is true? ;)

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic