Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
West Virginia should be in ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

West Virginia should be in ACC

Sep 3, 2017, 9:40 PM

Should have taken them over BC

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

academics bro***

Sep 3, 2017, 9:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Academics or not, they should have been taken

Sep 3, 2017, 9:45 PM

Before BC or Syracuse

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Syracuse should never have been taken.

Sep 3, 2017, 9:48 PM

JMO. (TV markets or not.)

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That went out the window when Louisville got in. Also, West

Sep 3, 2017, 9:56 PM [ in reply to academics bro*** ]

Virginia has many Rhodes Scholars and Fullbright Scholars. I think they have an excellent med school if I'm not mistaken. Their mission is to educate the people of West Virginia to the point that if someone graduates high school in West Virginia, they have the opportunity to attend WVU if they feel up to it and want to. That mission is what drags down their magazine rankings.

I sometimes wonder if Clemson, full of students from many other states, yet declining 4.0 students from the home state, has lost touch with its mission.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great points. Tu!***

Sep 3, 2017, 10:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

How many of these scholars have they had?***

Sep 3, 2017, 10:47 PM [ in reply to That went out the window when Louisville got in. Also, West ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here is something on their scholars

Sep 3, 2017, 11:44 PM

https://about.wvu.edu/wvu-facts

Meanwhile UNC looks down its nose at West Virginia, while the Heels give bogus fake classes.

Good school good academics

Sep 4, 2017, 1:32 PM

seriously Clemson is a great school, but we have no right to and shouldn't be snobby. Clemson is for average to above average kids and really is not that hard to get into.

Here's some info on their med school

Sep 3, 2017, 11:53 PM [ in reply to How many of these scholars have they had?*** ]

http://wvumedicine.org/news/article/wvu-medicine-wvu-hospitals-ranked-sixth-among-academic-medical-centers/

Freaking nonsense.

Sep 3, 2017, 11:49 PM [ in reply to That went out the window when Louisville got in. Also, West ]

Where did you get your talking points? FGF?

WVU's student population is 51% WV residents.
http://about.wvu.edu/wvu-facts

Clemson's student population is 67% SC residents*.
http://www.clemson.edu/admissions/undergraduate/faq.html

*Admittedly, the Clemson number specifically says "undergraduate", and the WVU doesn't specify, but it's enough to make the assumption that WVU probably has a higher percentage of its students from out of state than Clemson does.

Oh, and we have a higher percentage of SC students than USC.
https://sc.edu/about/offices_and_divisions/undergraduate_admissions/requirements/for_freshmen/admitted_class_profile/index.php

I'm so sick of this narrative that Clemson has sold its soul to out of state students. It has a good mix, and better than a lot of public schools. You are a moron if you think Clemson better serves the state of SC by only having SC students.

null

my maon point was WVU's mission. I love the fact that

Sep 4, 2017, 12:23 AM

Clemson has people from all over. But I have heard that there are 4.0 students in SC that could not get into Clemson. I think I've heard it on this very board. I used the same WVU facts that you did to point out their Rhodes Scholars, etc. and I will admit I was surprised to see that only 51% f their students are from West Virginia. That shocked me. I still think they are a better school than people give them credit for.

To your criticism, I think it is fair for you to call me out on saying maybe Clemson has lost touch with its mission. I really didn't have sufficient reason to make that statement.

It's basically on the border with PA and very close to Ohio,

Sep 4, 2017, 12:32 AM

WV doesn't have the population to fill up WVU.

That's fair. I don't object to WVU, and have often said

Sep 4, 2017, 6:54 AM [ in reply to my maon point was WVU's mission. I love the fact that ]

as much in Tigernet. Great fit geographically and many instant rivalries (Pitt, VT). Academics unfortunately ARE a consideration for the University Presidents who know their schools benefit by the reputation of the ACC. I'm not sure why the call went to Louisville after Maryland bailed...maybe a desperate attempt to make sure the football schools are comfortable. But that doesn't mean, as some are saying here, "oh well, academics don't matter anymore."

null

Re: That went out the window when Louisville got in. Also, West

Sep 4, 2017, 9:49 AM [ in reply to That went out the window when Louisville got in. Also, West ]

A Rhodes Scholar is an individual. I don't understand why a few extremely gifted people graduating from any one university are indicative of what the university is academically throughout the university. Yes, it's nice, but I'm certainly not picking a college based on how many Rhodes Scholars graduated.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, CU has strayed a bit from its primary mission.***

Sep 4, 2017, 10:35 AM [ in reply to That went out the window when Louisville got in. Also, West ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson has lost touch for sure, as well as no eye for the

Sep 4, 2017, 10:47 AM [ in reply to That went out the window when Louisville got in. Also, West ]

future. They VERY late admissions calendar pushes students to chose other schools that have accepted students much earlier and have scholarship offers with deadlines earlier then Clemson is even accepting students. My niece is a good example. 4.0 student looking to study engineering, with a dad, uncle, and aunt that are Clemson grads. Clemson would not even talk to her, so she currently is at Texas Tech with a 4.0 three years in. She will not be making any donations to Clemson, nor will my Brother. VERY short sighted to income over the long haul.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Lowered Dude - youu must be old as dirt

Sep 4, 2017, 5:43 PM

you got a neice in kolledge . . . .

null

Senior this year. And I believe YOU are a tick older.***

Sep 4, 2017, 7:12 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That went out the window when Louisville got in. Also, West

Sep 4, 2017, 5:13 PM [ in reply to That went out the window when Louisville got in. Also, West ]

I could be wrong, but isn't it in Clemson's original charter that 33% of the student population should be from out-of-state?

If so, that's why it's more competitive for in-state students ... Clemson can only take so many. You see the same thing at any other school that is #1 in the state (UVA, UNC, etc.)

Loserville says uhhh.***

Sep 3, 2017, 10:15 PM [ in reply to academics bro*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

How could I forget about the commuter college loserville***

Sep 3, 2017, 11:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Academics argument rings hollow when we hired their Prez

Sep 3, 2017, 10:38 PM [ in reply to academics bro*** ]

To be our Prez.

If academics are that important in ACC then....

Sep 4, 2017, 7:50 AM [ in reply to academics bro*** ]

Why is a National Championship banner still hanging in the Dean Dome?

North Carolina has certainly paved the way for them con-

Sep 3, 2017, 9:43 PM

cerning academics.

Nope. You don't want WV fans anywhere around here.

Sep 3, 2017, 9:44 PM

They make Coots look like Rhodes scholars.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Nope. You don't want WV fans anywhere around here.

Sep 4, 2017, 12:56 AM

I really tried for about 30 seconds to imagine that scenario. Just couldn't get it to compute.

Thanks, but no thanks***

Sep 3, 2017, 9:45 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have always said that. Would make it contiguous also.***

Sep 3, 2017, 9:52 PM

Yep. Would take them over Syracuse or Pitt.***

Sep 3, 2017, 9:52 PM

no they shouldn't. university of phoenix has more stringent

Sep 3, 2017, 10:01 PM

academics.

Re: West Virginia should be in ACC

Sep 3, 2017, 10:05 PM

I'd like to see West Virginia in the ACC with Notre Dame joining as a full football member. Split the divisions North-South. Clemson would be the biggest winner in that alignment because they'd be able to travel to the states where they recruit. NC, FL, and GA.

Lock up your couches.***

Sep 3, 2017, 10:31 PM

GO TIGERS!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Don't want anything to do with those scumbags.***

Sep 3, 2017, 10:34 PM

Sep 3, 2017, 10:43 PM

Atlantic coast had geographical meaning until lozerville.

Less concerned about perfect geography and more interested

Sep 3, 2017, 10:52 PM

In close rivaries between close teams. BC, Syracuse, and Pitt are too far away to develop great border war rivaries like Clemson-UGA or Clemson-NCST. Louisville at least has a football pulse.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Subpar academics and horrible fans. No thanks.***

Sep 3, 2017, 10:54 PM

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sep 3, 2017, 11:11 PM

Their students save batteries all year and throw at opponents football players. I once sat in the student section at WV when a friend invited me to visit. We left during the 1st quarter, we were afraid a brawl would breakout against each other. They were throwing beer bottles at each other.

Don't get me wrong, many fans are great people, but many make MD fans seem civilized.

This is an entertaining football game tonight.

Sep 3, 2017, 11:17 PM

It would be good for the league and all of college football if this series was played more often, with Pitt in the mix as well. WVa ultimately belongs in today's ACC with their location, passion, history, and competitiveness. Certainly wouldn't hurt their academic side.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just add them and get Notre Dame or USF to be members***

Sep 3, 2017, 11:39 PM

Re: just add them and get Notre Dame or USF to be members***

Sep 4, 2017, 1:00 AM

Already have two members in Florida. Don't need a 3rd. No to USF.

Re: just add them and get Notre Dame or USF to be members***

Sep 4, 2017, 10:58 AM

4 from NC???

Sep 4, 2017, 8:13 AM

Anyone who would support such a move should be required to attend a West Virginia game and view their fans in person.

A professor of mine in college escaped from West Virginia and often said the reason West Virginia was so terrible was that anybody with any brains moved to Ohio. Let that sink in.

Hell to the 'NO'***

Sep 4, 2017, 10:07 AM

Sep 4, 2017, 4:29 PM

Burning couches are harmful to the environment.

Sep 4, 2017, 4:58 PM

No way man

Visit Boston or Morgantown? Not even a choice.***

Sep 4, 2017, 7:59 PM

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic