Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey, peoples older than 20....here's something new to me.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Hey, peoples older than 20....here's something new to me.

Mar 31, 2021, 7:56 AM

So I learned this one recently....did a quick Internet perusal to make sure it's not a local thing only and it's not, but it's a head-scratcher.

If you're texting a teenager and actually use a (gasp) period as punctuation at the end of your sentence, you're instantly interpreted as being passive-aggressive angry.

Like if I reply with "Thanks" it means I'm grateful but if I reply with "Thanks." it's the equivalent of a massive sigh and eye roll in person, and I may as well have typed "Thanks for nothing."

It's weird---the more ways we have to communicate, the worse we become at it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have heard this, but you know how you were a

Mar 31, 2021, 7:58 AM

teenager and did something stupid just to not be "old"? This is that, I hope.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks.***

Mar 31, 2021, 8:07 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No _ Thanks***

Mar 31, 2021, 8:14 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Upon reflection, really more like a Yes _ Thanks***

Mar 31, 2021, 8:16 AM

No _ Thanks***

Mar 31, 2021, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Thanks.*** ]

Why I hate texting and email.

Mar 31, 2021, 8:13 AM

Talking to people on the phone, or best is face to face, is much more effective. People read emails and as they read them they get ideas about tone, mood, emotions, and all kinds of crap. I've sent emails asking people for things and they get pissed at me. Call them and they never are.

People always ask me why don't I email more. And I'm like because people don't respond. I call whenever possible over sending an email.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See, I need whatever work related stuff in writing

Mar 31, 2021, 8:15 AM

with time stamps and all. The phone is no good. The phone is so useless to us they didn't bother trying to send one home with us last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I have something I need documented, I will send an email.

Mar 31, 2021, 8:30 AM

If someone ignores 2-3 calls, I will send an email and cc the world on it. But when you want people to cooperate, and you want to get candid and truthful information from them, talking face to face is the best way.

I get statements every day. I record conversations. But I also do it face to face when possible, or over the phone. Then summarize the important parts, exclude the garbage that's not relevant, and create reports. Over 3500 statements in the past decade, when we went digital.

But there is a use for email, and a use for the phone, and a use for driving across the state and meeting someone face to face. Kinda like Facebook. There is a use for it (neighborhood group, church, boy scouts, etc.). And also ways it's misused (political garbage, ####, attacking people, stalking people, whatever).

A lot depends on your job, but knowing how to use technology is the key. I send text messages now when people ignore voicemails. Leave 2 voicemails and no response. Send a text and you get a call in 5 minutes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don’t be a Richard and copy the world

Mar 31, 2021, 8:39 AM

I’ve coined the term
copy tale for people that do this

It’s rattling in the form of copying and it’s lame

Definitely means of last resort

Mar 31, 2021, 8:43 AM

If I’m at risk of getting blamed for something not getting done, you can bet your sweet patootie I’m bringing the powers that be in the loop.

Now blind copying the boss is a total rat move.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Same here. I never copy people unless someone is stalling.

Mar 31, 2021, 8:53 AM

Only CC for CYA purposes.

CC is giving notice to the original reader to get their a$$

Mar 31, 2021, 10:45 AM

in gear. BCC on the other hand is giving notice to the boss that this person is slack as $hit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I don't do the latter.***

Mar 31, 2021, 10:48 AM

LOL at getting someone under 30 to answer the phone.

Mar 31, 2021, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Why I hate texting and email. ]

And VM box will either a) not be set up or b) full.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's when you send a text and they call you right back.

Mar 31, 2021, 8:32 AM

Didn't say texting has no utility, but it's bad for conversations and general communication, as is email. Both have uses, but limitations as well.

How many paragraphs are your texts usually?

Mar 31, 2021, 8:49 AM

;)

I also don't get the voice mail thing.

Mar 31, 2021, 8:59 AM [ in reply to LOL at getting someone under 30 to answer the phone. ]

Maybe it is due to a general lack just calling "to see how things are going."

If someone other than my Mother calls me I assume that

Mar 31, 2021, 1:27 PM [ in reply to LOL at getting someone under 30 to answer the phone. ]

it's an emergency...

What should I use if I'm just aggressively angry?

Mar 31, 2021, 8:16 AM

Like, 'punch a teenager in his stupid throat' angry???????....

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably a stout whompin stick would work best.***

Mar 31, 2021, 8:20 AM

Yep, I came across that one, too

Mar 31, 2021, 8:19 AM

Not just teens. Some early 20s folks as well. I guess commas will soon be racist. I dunno.

Period.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Help be the change we need.

Mar 31, 2021, 8:24 AM

When your kids are wrong, tell them in no uncertain terms they are wrong and maybe we can get things back in order.

Hey, 20 year old ... fuhk you.

Mar 31, 2021, 8:23 AM

If they get po’d that’s on them-I find my peace from within

Mar 31, 2021, 8:37 AM

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN YA LITTLE HEATHERNS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I recently learned that from co-workers

Mar 31, 2021, 8:40 AM

Who are over 35

Apparently double spacing paragraphs is not a thing anymore

Also learned that

Mar 31, 2021, 8:43 AM

K is super passive aggressive
kk is the polite way to say okay

What about kkk?

Mar 31, 2021, 8:46 AM

Overaggressive on the politeness?

Thanks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And 2 spaces after that passive aggressive period is not

Mar 31, 2021, 8:46 AM [ in reply to I recently learned that from co-workers ]

a thing anymore

Don’t get me started on the Oxford comma (Save the OC)

Panta Rhei Heraclitus

FTS. I refuse to comply.***

Mar 31, 2021, 8:48 AM [ in reply to I recently learned that from co-workers ]

The double space was a typewriter thing.

Mar 31, 2021, 9:27 AM [ in reply to I recently learned that from co-workers ]

So you're like three decades behind on that.

My MIL posts to facebook like this:

Saw the grandkids . They are cute !

Only just in the last few years has it become optional

Mar 31, 2021, 9:52 AM

When your writing has to follow APA style so I have 40 years of educational and professional writing to overcome.

Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty surprised at how easily

Mar 31, 2021, 9:36 AM [ in reply to I recently learned that from co-workers ]

I transitioned from double-spacing after periods to single. I figured it would be a long, arduous, multi-year journey, but it ended up being an afternoon(ish).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like Word does this automatically.

Mar 31, 2021, 10:47 AM

but Tnet does not. Obviously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been outdated for a while.

Mar 31, 2021, 9:44 AM [ in reply to I recently learned that from co-workers ]

Was only a thing for typewriters. Completely unnecessary with computers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Sure, you can be smug about it now, but

Mar 31, 2021, 10:07 AM

when armageddon comes and electronics are useless, I know who will be able to effectively communicate and who won't.

Noah Whiteside's mom was my 'computer' teacher, and I feel

Mar 31, 2021, 10:07 AM [ in reply to I recently learned that from co-workers ]

certain she would cut a MFer over that typing blasphemy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8===o ~~~ ( . )( . )***

Mar 31, 2021, 9:09 AM

Cool.

Mar 31, 2021, 9:11 AM

PERIOD.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this a Nashville regional thing?***

Mar 31, 2021, 9:12 AM

Thanks.***

Mar 31, 2021, 9:29 AM

I had an Indian coworker ask me if I was mad at him

Mar 31, 2021, 9:48 AM

b/c I always started my emails,
Hey Vikram,

He interpreted as a bad hey. Not like a Hey, good to see you today Hey.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That seems awfully microagressive of you.***

Mar 31, 2021, 9:49 AM

Oh sorry about the period, I didn't mean to offend***

Mar 31, 2021, 9:50 AM

k.***

Mar 31, 2021, 10:32 AM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is why I always start my emails with

Mar 31, 2021, 10:32 AM [ in reply to I had an Indian coworker ask me if I was mad at him ]

Sup Bitch,

Hope this email finds you well. Dafugg happened with the Dawson Account?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Texting has morphed

Mar 31, 2021, 9:54 AM

When I first got a phone, people my age were short handing "2" for "to" or "too" and "u" for "you"

The players I coached NEVER used this, they typed out the whole word. Now there's no capitalization, no commas and periods, and "2" and "u" are sneaking back in

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One thing that surprised me a bit is how

Mar 31, 2021, 10:09 AM

pro athletes will tweet with phonetic spelling like they are still in 1st grade.

Typing "U" seems indicative of low intelligence/trashiness***

Mar 31, 2021, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Texting has morphed ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

k***

Mar 31, 2021, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Texting has morphed ]

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huh, I always thought it was just women who read into

Mar 31, 2021, 12:49 PM

the tone of punctuation in a text. Maybe Gen Z males all have shorter anogenital distances.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i know, right?

Mar 31, 2021, 1:21 PM

*looking up 'anogenital' definition*

*also, re: distances, wondering if closer is better, like IRL*

Re: i know, right?

Mar 31, 2021, 1:26 PM

Someone posted a paper from a medical journal yesterday about anogenital distance being affected by first trimester phthalate ingestion, and the introduction I read talked about shorter AGD being directly correlated to smaller nards, shorter peckur, and low quality sperms.

Basically a short taint means you're a girly man.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pro Tip:

Mar 31, 2021, 1:28 PM

Do not use a metal tape measure to try and measure, the cuts hurt REALLY bad. Better to keep one of those fabric seamstress measuring tapes around for taint measurements.

More efficient = better.***

Mar 31, 2021, 1:32 PM [ in reply to i know, right? ]

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic