Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Syracuse Loss
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Syracuse Loss

Jun 27, 2018, 9:50 AM

Our team did not lose the Syracuse because Kelly Bryant was injured.
We lost because Greg Huegel was injured, and had he not been would have likely nailed the two missed field goals. At the very least it would have gone into over time, where another automatic field goal from Huegel could have won the game. I hope I spelled the name correctly. I haven't heard anyone discuss how Huegel's absence impacted the game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Syracuse Loss

Jun 27, 2018, 9:59 AM

we just generally played poorly from start to finish. YOu assessment is probably right but the D was just out of it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2018, 9:27 PM

agree.there were several areas,huegel being just one,that cost us that game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 27, 2018, 10:03 AM

You're right! The whole thing was a nightmare I couldn't wake-up from??

Jun 27, 2018, 10:07 AM

Truly a nightmare but in my opinion it could have been avoided had Hunter Johnson started and played the entire game.

Jun 27, 2018, 10:11 AM

I've never understood what it would have hurt. Cooper did nothing. I was shocked how badly he played but then everyone else did too

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2018, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Syracuse Loss ]

I agree. Hunter Johnson was the answer.

many factors, perfect storm...

Jun 27, 2018, 10:11 AM

Syracuse's QB and that one WR played lights out. Give them credit.

Huegel and KB's injuries did not help. The fake punt fiasco hurt us. As did Dabo's being distracted by his trip to AL, Dabo's mansion, and playing on a Friday night.

In the end, it did not matter at all. But it could have and I hope all have learned from the nightmare.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So Dabo's unprofessional

Jun 27, 2018, 12:17 PM

And incapable of juggling his schedule. Got it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

did not say either of those

Jun 28, 2018, 9:24 AM

just two of many factors that played into the perfect storm of losing to SYR

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can remember a handful of comments relative to...

Jun 27, 2018, 7:54 PM

...missing Huegel's leg during and after that game on the Tnets. But of course most discussion centered on the lackluster QB play and KB's injury. I do agree with you that Huegel may have been the change agent to pulling that one out. So could have HJ I guess.

But, no matter, it was just a generally poorly-played game in nearly all facets and I hope to never relive that feeling. Twas a strange Friday night for sure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: I can remember a handful of comments relative to...

Jun 27, 2018, 8:00 PM

If ever a loss could be described as a "team effort" this was it. After a poor display by
our offense and the absence of Huegel, our defense let Syracuse shove it right down our
throat at the end of the game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: a total team effort

Jun 27, 2018, 9:46 PM

Sure it was. And I'm sure almost everyone learned from it.

Except Heugel. Inj--DNP.
Alex Spence learned a great deal.
Zerrick, expected to start, practiced all week with the first team, then gets told before kickoff that the coaches trust the guy who can barely walk to perform better than you. When asked to rally the team, lays an egg.
And Hunter Johnson. DNP. Was expected to play if ZC faltered. But when he did, it was too late.
How do you think that flight home went? Everyone on the plane angry, embarassed. KB concussed. HJ, a good kid, not wanting to make waves, but certainly frustrated because the dominoes fell perfectly for a third-stringer to play in a competitive situation--until the starter proclaimed his ankle to be healthier than it was.
And no coach was willing to make the decision to overrule him.
But Dabo wasn't on the plane for anyone to talk to.
He was headed for Bamabon a different plane.

So yeah, in a perfect world, Dabo and staff analyze their failures in preparation and motivation, maybe admit the void in leadership that occurred, pat HJ on the back and promise some playing time soon, and we move on.
Maybe that really did happen (after Dabo got back from Bama.) But Dabo doesn't dwell on the negative, so I'm not sure it did.

Cool story bruh***

Jun 28, 2018, 2:44 PM

We lost because everybody but Hunter played like they were

Jun 27, 2018, 8:57 PM

stoned.

Jun 27, 2018, 9:07 PM

Don't forget this shouldn't have even been a game ... . not even close. And the QB is a player that can lift and carry a team. So yes, ,any parts of the game were played badly. No doubt. But our leader did not lead.

Plenty of blame to go around

Jun 27, 2018, 9:28 PM

Team didn't look ready, defense looked all kinds of SAWFT for a lot of the game, KB should never have been run out there, Cooper should've gotten the hook much earlier, and the ACC shouldn't have scheduled us for a Friday night game.

That loss was on Dabo and everyone associated

Jun 27, 2018, 11:50 PM

That was an embarrassment in every way. There are no good excuses, only a choke job by everyone. It’s easy to say if this or that would have happened, we win, but nobody knows for sure. Dabo put “his” best players in “his” best positions and he made “his” best decisions. That’s the best we had to offer.

Re: players, positions, decisions

Jun 28, 2018, 9:30 AM

So you think post-game analysis of the players, positions, and decisions is pointless?

For coaches as well as fans?

No, all I’m saying is - to say we lost because GH was

Jun 28, 2018, 9:46 AM

injured is selling Syracuse wayyyyy short. They came to play. We crapped the bed. Got beat.

Better conditioning leads to less injuries. Better Oline recruiting leads to less QB injuries. Better coaching leads to better QB play, better decision making. We got beat by an unranked team. There are no excuses that can make that easier to accept.

Jun 28, 2018, 2:41 PM

Or just take Tanner Muse out of the game and we don't lose. He gave up 2 long touchdown passes for blowing his assignment. Take those away and it's 24-13

Jun 28, 2018, 2:42 PM

17-13

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic