Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Surprised the ACC scheduled league games 11/17
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Surprised the ACC scheduled league games 11/17

Jan 18, 2018, 9:23 AM

I thought the ACC had accepted the premise of leaving those dates open for a tune-up before our out-of-conference rivarly game. And not just Clemson - FSU plays BC, GT plays UVa, and Louisville plays NCSU on 11/17.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Surprised the ACC scheduled league games 11/17

Jan 18, 2018, 9:36 AM

Seeing as all those teams non-conference schedule was already set how would they not schedule a conference game that week? All these teams knew they would be playing a conference opponent. Unless the conference waits to schedule the bye week that week and that would be terrible scheduling.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the league schedule comes first

Jan 18, 2018, 10:07 AM

If they leave a slot for non-conference then we fill it in with Furman most likely. At least that's how I thought it worked.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, non-con gets signed on before con schedule***

Jan 18, 2018, 10:26 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

the dates don't, just the opponents***

Jan 18, 2018, 1:32 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 9:53 AM

Yes. Me too. The ACC seems to waffle on this. The SEC regularly gives the team in SEC/ACC rivalries the week off from conference play to schedule a directional school. The ACC does this only sometimes, leaving the SEC with a competitive advantage going into rivalry week.

This year, Clemson will play Duke, while SCAR will play UT-Chattanooga before the rivalry game.
FSU will play BC, while Florida plays Idaho.
Georgia Tech will play Virginia, while UGA plays UMass.
Louisville will play NCSU, while Kentucky plays Middle Tennessee.

Clearly the SEC gets that winning the rivalry games is worth leaving an open date for scheduling a scrimmage the week before. The ACC, not so much, but then John Swofford is just an idiot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 10:23 AM

The individual schools schedule their non conference games first and then the ACC and ESPN build the conference schedule around the non conference games. If Clemson wanted a weak opponent before the SC game, they could schedule one.

Jan 18, 2018, 10:22 AM

The out of conference games are scheduled years in advance. The ACC then fills in the rest of the weeks. We already know our full out of conference schedule (teams and dates) for 2019 and 2020. And we know some of the games for years beyond that.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-20/2020-clemson-tigers-football-schedule.php

https://www.tigernet.com/view/future_schedules/football.do

Jan 18, 2018, 10:55 AM

That also says "Tentative". If the ACC says we have to play FSU on Sept 19, 2020, then I'm sure our game with the Akron Zips will be moved.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 11:04 AM

I don't think it's that simple. The ACC schedule comes out in January. The SEC schedule is already out before that. Other conferences may have their schedules already done as well. The ACC can't come in last to the party and tell a pre-scheduled OOC opponent to modify their set schedule. Akron and Clemson may not have any other weekends where they are both open to move the game to.

Jan 18, 2018, 10:41 AM

We have never consistently had an OOC cupcake that day. The ACC has been nice enough to give us a sacrificial lamb that day. We played Wake that week in 2015 and 2016. This year we get to hang 40 on Duke.

So for the past several years, all four teams that play SEC

Jan 18, 2018, 10:51 AM

season-ending games (Clemson, FSU, GT, and Louisville) happened to schedule non-conference games before the rivalry game? And this year, by coincidence, all four schools left the weekend before the season-ending game open for a league game? That seems like too much of a coincidence not to have been planned and dictated by the ACC. But hey maybe you're right.

I can remember discussions 7 or 8 years ago complaining that we couldn't ever play a non-conference opponent the weekend before Scar, but the SEC teams all played a non-conference cupcake.

I can remember years when we played good ACC teams on that

Jan 18, 2018, 1:31 PM

weekend

Re: So for the past several years, all four teams that play SEC

Jan 18, 2018, 4:06 PM [ in reply to So for the past several years, all four teams that play SEC ]

2 years ago Clemson played Wake the week before USuC game. The OOC games are scheduled way in advance and the dates are set then. Notice how the SECheat has had their schedule out since November or December and T&M had Clemson scheduled week 2 then. This isn't rocket science. Go to the future schedule on the front page under football and see the OOC games that are scheduled through 2028 of teams that have been scheduled.

Message was edited by: bloodrunsorange63®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 11:00 AM

Got this from some other board...

"UK schedule and UofL schedule the week before their rivalry game (UofL schedule in parentheses):

2015: Charlotte (Pittsburgh)
2014: Open (Notre Dame)

Florida schedule and FSU schedule the week before their rivalry game (FSU's schedule in parentheses):

2015: Florida Atlantic (Chattanooga)
2014: EKU (Boston College)
2013: Georgia Southern (Idaho)
2012: Jacksonville St. (Maryland)
2011: Furman (Virginia)

UGA schedule and GT schedule the week before their rivalry game (GT schedule in parentheses):

2015: Georgia Southern (Miami)
2014: Charleston Southern (Open)
2013: UK (Alabama A&M)
2012: Charleston Southern (Duke)
2011: UK (Duke)

USC schedule and CU schedule the week before their rivalry game (CU's schedule in parentheses):

2015: Citadel (Wake Forest)
2014: South Alabama (Georgia State)
2013: Coastal Carolina (Citadel)
2012: Wofford (NC St.)
2011: Citadel (NC St.)

"The ACC would not let the ACC schools schedule cupcakes the week before until just recently, it's one of those SEC advantages that is disappearing now.

Jan 18, 2018, 11:08 AM

Uncheat gets western before they play nc state and state gets uL swofford took care of the holes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It WAS disappearing***

Jan 18, 2018, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Surprised the ACC scheduled league games 11/17 ]

I would assume that is a mandate for our Corporate

Jan 18, 2018, 1:29 PM

Overlords...The TV offerings the week before Rivalry week are some slim pickings and this is ESPN's way of ensuring that there will be some P5 vs P5 games on the slate

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic