Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: Waiting in the weeds
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 4,458

Sunday sermon: Waiting in the weeds

Sep 20, 2015, 9:25 AM

I'll start with a bit of bad news for those who put stock in the weekly vanity index known as college polls: I don't expect Clemson to be a Top 10 team this week. (Update ... I was close!)

I mean, you can't throw out 'Bama, just because they lost...

I fully expect Ole Miss, the BB Heads and maybe UCLA to jump us, and while the true USC falls, rote muscle memory will force pollsters to keep 'Bama in the Top 10. And I fully expect our feathered failures to come laughing through their tears that Clemson sux ... conveniently ignoring their magnificent cluster cluck in Athens. Prepare to hear the moaning and lamentations of loyal, but misguided Tigers who have not yet realized that in the new day, being No. 12 is nowhere near as important as being undefeated.

And, one fourth of the way in, that's exactly where we are.

With a built-from-scratch offensive line, a defense that couldn't get enough starters from last year together for a hand of bridge, a half-dozen injuries and a quarterback who finally got to see the elephant on the road ... on a short week ... Clemson is unbeaten.

Oh, nothing much ... just waiting on a leprechaun and a bumble bee.

We are, in the parlance of South Georgia farming, waiting in the weeds. And that's the best place for us as we head into a strangely, but fortuitously, placed off week.

Why? Because in two weeks, Clemson will burst from the weeds into the limelight, and we will either light up the October sky like a comet or we will flame out and falter. The future lies, not within the stars nor the deeds of others, but in ourselves.

Folks with longer memories may remember the years Clemson football would scan the rankings and, in half-hope say, "If UConn can beat Miami and Michigan can beat Notre Dame and ANYBODY can beat FSU, then we'll be back in the Top 10!"

Those were days co-mingled with hope and heartache ... mainly because even if all those unlikely event happened, we'd end up losing to an NC State.

This year, we don't need others to help chart our course. Two weeks from now we will stand at the gates of football relevance, the key in our hand. There is no reason ... not one ... that the Sons of Clemson should fail to take that key and shove it up the collective backside of those who say we don't belong in their hallowed hall.

Easy? Of course not. The things worth holding onto in this world don't come easy, and they can evaporate in the blink of an eye or the bounce of a ball. That's one of the reasons you wait patiently in the weeds, then strike and hold on tight.

That's why the capricious numbers of today's flattering flavor don't matter. Clemson, for all the naysaying, for all the ignorant uttering of those who don't want their little universes undone, has the tools and has the heart to make this a special season. Opportunity is the only thing missing thusfar.

And opportunity is coming. We will be ready. We will strike with the screams of 82,000 banshees and the unrelenting rage of a people denied.

For now, we rest ... watching the passersby oblivious to our presence.

October will be an excellent month.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AMEN Rev. Already planning my tailgating for OCT 3rd.***

Sep 20, 2015, 9:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Re: Sunday sermon: Waiting in the weeds

Sep 20, 2015, 9:35 AM

As always, I enjoy your perspective. It always make me feel hopeful. Thanks and God Bless you and all Clemson Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon: Waiting in the weeds

Sep 20, 2015, 9:41 AM

Well said and thumbs up. Agree completely.

We don't wanna be on the radar right now, the way the season is going for everybody else.

Keep us at #11 or #12. Dump on our conference. Fine with it.

In the meantime, let the "cluster-cluck" ensue for everyone else. Ignore us. Nothing to see here, all we're doing is winning.

We don't play next week, so we'll probably slip even more.

Two weeks from now, Notre Dame will walk into Death Valley. At night.

Then we'll see what we see.

Barring upsets, we won't see much movement

Sep 20, 2015, 10:32 AM

...looks like the big-time schools are playing the who-dats.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bump for the late Sunday sleepers...***

Sep 20, 2015, 7:12 PM

Lolol, Clemson Tigers Football. Haven't the Carnegie Tartans

Sep 20, 2015, 7:20 PM

still outscored you in Sugar Bowls?

Re: Lolol, Clemson Tigers Football. Haven't the Carnegie Tartans

Sep 20, 2015, 7:28 PM

No.

Here's a nice spot for a George Santayana quote. lol

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Wrong; Carnegie got 7 in '39.

Sep 20, 2015, 7:37 PM