Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Streaming vs other
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Streaming vs other

Sep 16, 2019, 9:33 AM

First off TL/DR. I don't want to beat the dead horse here because there were a ton of threads on this before the GT game, but the short version is streaming rocks, so don't be scared to try it...this coming from an middle aged "don't mess with how things are" type of person.

LONG VERSION
Ok, for those of you who don't mind reading let me get into this. I had Direct TV for about 12 years and finally cancelled it a few weeks ago because I'm embarrassed to say that I was paying $155 a month for it. I bought a Roku a few months ago (in anticipation of this and because I already had Netflix), and started using Hulu.

I like Hulu, but as many on here have mentioned navigating through it is weird if you are used to the cable/satellite "schedule" style screen that's a grid that shows what's on at what time. Hulu does actually have this screen and it can be accessed if you are watching live TV. At any rate, I got used to the menus within a week and it didn't bother me. The deal breaker was my local ABC station is not available on Hulu, and we all know lots of college football is broadcast on ABC.

So, I then tried YouTube TV. The navigating is a bit different from Hulu, but I'm getting used to it and it has the old school "schedule" style screen. It also includes my local ABC (which is the main reason I tried it), and is a bit cheaper than Hulu while offering unlimited streams and DVR. I have to say that at this point I prefer the YouTube TV based on price and what's included. From a visual/audio quality standpoint both Hulu and YouTube seem to be equivalent.

As for cancelling stuff, Direct TV was a pain. I had to get on the phone for like 30 minutes where they gave me the high pressure sales talk to stay with them. One thing I will say here is if you have Direct TV and are annoyed but want to keep it, call and tell them you want to cancel. They rolled over and came back quickly with a nice deal I could get for a year without me having to put up any fight. So in that respect I'm annoyed I didn't call earlier just to get my bill lowered.

Cancelling Hulu was a totally different experience. I went into my online account, clicked cancel, confirmed it, and I was done...that's it.

So long story short, all you old pharts who are skeert of change don't be...just do it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Streaming vs other

Sep 16, 2019, 9:50 AM

I'm 51 and a low tech guy.

I am so glad to be done with cable/sat.

We've used Sling for over a year, then switched to Hulu when it looked like Sling wouldn't have ACC Network.

I use a firestick, otherwise would have gone to Youtube TV based on recommendations.

All that said, I would take either Sling or Hulu 100% over ever paying another dime for cable or Direct or Dish.

Sep 16, 2019, 9:54 AM

Thanks for sharing. I kicked Dish to the curb and was a bear to cancel. I chose Hulu because of their original programming is better than YTTV. I was willing to adapt to their interface for the extra content.

When I first started streaming the pic was not great (Firestick). My wireless router was five years old so I opted to upgrade. Now I can stream two TVs with 4K pictures plus the usual iPad, phones etc. bought an $18 antenna on Amazon and get 20+ local channels including ABC in HiDef.

I now hate I did not make the move siinerearlier

Sep 16, 2019, 10:09 AM

I am 51 and relatively tech-friendly. I cut the cord and went with Sling 2 or 3 years ago. I switched to YouTube TV this year and love it.

The greatest things about streaming are: (1) No comitment, and (2) portability.

Sep 16, 2019, 10:15 AM

I also ditched cable and 3 weeks later I am getting charged. They admitted they are running slow with cancellations. I wonder why?!

We moved to a rogu equipped TV and discovered that we can watch ESPN+ thru rogu. Even though we don't have ABC yet , the ESPN app worked great.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic