Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stephen Hawking : A soul I admired
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Stephen Hawking : A soul I admired

Mar 14, 2018, 10:58 PM

Many of you know that Professor Stephen Hawking passed early this morning at the age of 76 .
I wanted to make mention of him because like cosmologist Carl Sagan he was one of the greatest minds in human history , a huge hero of mine since childhood ...and he is gone to the stars now .
Prof. Hawking was indomitable , save for mortality just as the rest of us .
The man lived for 50+ years after recieving the grim prognosis of ALS . If you make it a decade with ALS you have won a great battle .
That accomplishment alone is monumental ...but considering his vast contribution to Theoretical Physics and the associated fields it is staggering to consider how much he was able to see done while battling a killer for half a century .
Truly a historical figure that will be missed on many many levels .

Farewell Professor Hawking .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Stephen Hawking : A soul I admired

Mar 14, 2018, 11:10 PM

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/column-1/stephen-hawking-dies-at-76/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe God game him 50 years with ALS to see the light and

Mar 16, 2018, 10:52 AM

maybe he did. God rest his soul.

Mar 14, 2018, 11:12 PM

agreed - huge loss

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Even his last message was inspirational

Mar 14, 2018, 11:29 PM

https://youtu.be/Gb2jGy76v0Y

The thing I admired most about Hawking

Mar 15, 2018, 1:00 AM

was his positive belief in humanity. He never shied away from stating that humanity can achieve many things, the limits are endless. I loved his belief that man was made to fly and that ultimately our destiny will be determined in deep in the cosmos. His own personal life and fight against his disease reaffirmed his unwavering belief in humanity.

Re:

Mar 15, 2018, 4:42 AM

Very well said .

DB23

Re: The thing I admired most about Hawking

Mar 15, 2018, 7:15 AM [ in reply to The thing I admired most about Hawking ]

I wish he’d known & believed in Jesus the same as he believed in humanity. His inspiration was great but could’ve been stellar. Though his mind & life weren’t wasted, his soul now is.

As a Christian, sometimes I wonder...

Mar 15, 2018, 7:35 AM

what the Good Lord does with people like Hawking who are in some ways better reflections of good than most of us Christians? Many Christians are like mules who believe because of the carrot of Heaven and the stick of H-ll: but Hawking didn't need that inducement, he believed that there was an inherent goodness in all of us that would shine through eventually. To have that belief without faith in a higher power makes him a far greater reflection of Christ's thoughts than I (pessimist that I am about mankind) could ever be.

Why wonder?

Mar 15, 2018, 8:22 AM

God will judge him the exact same way he judges the rest of us, not by comparing us to one another but by comparing us to the perfect man, His only son, Jesus. He, just as we, will be found wanting if he is judged by his merit. 'As a Christian,' you should know this for it was this exact consideration by which you sought our only salvation through the blood of God's only Son, Jesus The Christ. Without that blood covering our sin we are all bound for the same fate which is a devil's hell.

Never-the-less, it is not our place to either determine or to judge how Hawkings will enter or spend eternity. May he rest in peace.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why wonder?

Mar 15, 2018, 9:11 AM

You both make good points but the only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ. Hawking was adamant in his stance that God doesn’t exist, therefore he would have never accepted salvation through Christ. Based on God’s word alone, Hawking was a lost soul. I hope the two of you make the game right decision with your souls.

Clearly God can make exceptions when he wants.

Mar 15, 2018, 12:21 PM

In the past God has "hardened the heart" of influential people to get the results he wanted.
Perhaps that is the case with Hawkin. Hawkin's dilemma was that he knew there were still mysteries of the universe that he didn't understand, yet he thought we was smart enough the know that God did not exist.

I wonder if 50 years ago Hawkin would have believed that in 2018 nearly any person in the world could communicate with nearly any other person in the world in an instant. No human knows what is possible and what is not.

I sure wish I could talk to Hawkins now to see what he found out yesterday.

Message was edited by: Tiger1983®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 15, 2018, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Why wonder? ]

Stephen Hawking was a self-proclaimed atheist; so from a Christian perspective I don't imagine his conversation with the almighty is going so well...

I can respect the man for his scientific achievements/contributions while having his body utterly destroyed by the ravages of ALS. While there is much to admire about Hawking, I can also see him as a flawed man (just as we all are) that was very short sighted on numerous things especially of his assessments of the supremacy of theoretical science over religion and spirituality.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you don't learn anything else in life except to know and

Mar 15, 2018, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Why wonder? ]

implement the subject matter of this post then you will have lived a full and meaningful life. At the end, what matters, is all very simple.

Re: If you don't learn anything else in life except to know and

Mar 15, 2018, 10:36 AM

That gives me chills. Well said man.

Mar 15, 2018, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Why wonder? ]

...Never-the-less, it is not our place to either determine or to judge how Hawkings will enter or spend eternity. May he rest in peace.

Very well said. Far too many Christians do not seem to understand that wisdom.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he never believed on the Lord Jesus Christ,

Mar 16, 2018, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Why wonder? ]

He won't be at the judgement seat of Christ. He'll make it to the great white throne of judgement.

It won't be the same type of judgement.

Probably what you meant, just didn't read that way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The thing I admired most about Hawking

Mar 15, 2018, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: The thing I admired most about Hawking ]

Come on man really? Why you got to say his soul is going to be a waste? Does that mean only christians make it to heaven, maybe God accepts all of his creations into heaven as long as they are good souls Like he was. No need to even go there man but of course there is always ones like you that have to say he is going to burn and so on.

Until you folks start feeding Christians to lions again...

Mar 16, 2018, 2:41 AM

you won't find me the least bit uncomfortable with your contentions.

I provided a map. I didn't create the map and I don't drive your vehicle. If you take a wrong turn despite the fact that you have an accurate map with clear, concise directions you won't be able to blame the map maker either. I think you might do well to take this up with Him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't need your map.

Mar 16, 2018, 6:34 AM

It takes me to a place I do not want to go. My map works perfect for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So many maps, so little time.

Mar 16, 2018, 8:09 AM

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Until you folks start feeding Christians to lions again...

Mar 16, 2018, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Until you folks start feeding Christians to lions again... ]

Historically Atheists are not the ones who persecuted Christians. It has been the members of other religions obsessed with their own beliefs. Too much religion is more dangerous than none. Nothing is ever wrong with saying"this my religion and it is what I must believe": the wrong comes when people say "this is my religion and it is what YOU must believe".

Re: Until you folks start feeding Christians to lions again...

Mar 16, 2018, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Until you folks start feeding Christians to lions again... ]

Idk what will happen to Steven Hawkings soul, only what will happen to mine. I admired his brilliance as a scientist and his spirit to continue to be productive in spite of his crushing limitations. That should inspire us all regardless of our faith in God or lack thereof.

As an empirical scientist I can relate to his atheism but do not understand his conclusion that there is no God. Even he admitted, as have many others, that some substantial portion of the energy in the universe is unaccounted for (+/-20% maybe ? - that's A LOT of energy). Could he not concede that there is at least the possibility of a deity and a post-death existence?

Perhaps he was as narcissistic as many of the rest of us, in that he could not acknowledge the possibility of a being or power greater than himself.

Well said.***

Mar 15, 2018, 4:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well said.***

Mar 15, 2018, 7:32 AM

I guess he found out yesterday what the afterlife is like.

Re: Well said.***

Mar 16, 2018, 8:24 AM

That would truely surprise him.

Mar 15, 2018, 9:49 AM

sad that his contributions to science and our understanding of the universe were lost on some, he will be missed.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 15, 2018, 9:51 AM

Do atheists have souls?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Mar 15, 2018, 10:37 AM

yes, much older ones.

Mar 15, 2018, 10:45 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Mar 15, 2018, 10:50 AM

I am not going to fall for that gag, again. Fool me once....

I admired him for everything he accomplished

Mar 15, 2018, 12:05 PM

especially with his disease, but one of the greatest minds in human history? I would pump the breaks on that a bit.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tigertown

Re: I admired him for everything he accomplished

Mar 15, 2018, 1:17 PM

Yep. There is Sheldon Cooper for crying out loud

Mar 15, 2018, 12:35 PM

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: No Man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.”
??John? ?14:6? ?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2018, 8:37 AM

Why did this need to turn into a Christian heaven vs hell discussion?

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

I would say because the OP used the word 'soul' in the

Mar 16, 2018, 8:46 AM

subject line. Made it easier to go in that direction.

Message was edited by: NorthwestPurple®

I'd say it was inevitable & really, unavoidable if you're

Mar 16, 2018, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Stephen Hawking : A soul I admired ]

going to have an earnest discussion of Mr. Hawking's views on the cosmos and/or the man himself.

He's a devout atheist, how do you leave that out of a discussion of the man? You don't, his views are painted, good, bad or indifferent, by the power behind the brush.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well said***

Mar 16, 2018, 10:57 AM

Mar 16, 2018, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Stephen Hawking : A soul I admired ]

Okay Clemsonalum07 instead of making it Christian vs a non believer post let's go this route,I bet if Stephen Hawking attended Adams college he would have been a tri lamb and ruthlessly picked on by the Alpha Betas since he was a collosall nerd.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic