Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is Steele doing so good
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Why is Steele doing so good

Nov 27, 2017, 11:20 AM

At Auburn? I don't think he was horrible at Clemson but he seems to be doing pretty well at Auburn especially this year. Could it have to do with recruiting and the players. We did have good plays but probably not as good as Auburn and us do now. Any thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being up in the Booth

Nov 27, 2017, 11:21 AM

keeps him from still having LB's looking over for signals as the ball is snapped.Good move for him.

Re: Being up in the Booth

Nov 27, 2017, 11:30 AM

That tendency on Clemson's part currently is bothersome to me. I hear myself saying "Get down, Get down" as the opposing offense comes to the line and gets set. A quicker snap by the coots could have had us on our heels several times. Are the D signals getting too complicated or am I getting too anxious?

Re: Being up in the Booth

Nov 27, 2017, 11:32 AM

I would say it is a mixture of both. We do want to he set but at the same time we want the last call and not the O change based on what our D is doing. Cuse did expose this thought a little. Whatever BV is doing though it works.

SEC Offenses***

Nov 27, 2017, 11:24 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Re: SEC Offenses***

Nov 27, 2017, 11:26 AM

Partially true but they did good against us the last 2 games.

Playing in the $-EZ !!!***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Playing in the $-EZ !!!***

We are not an SEC team and they held us to 19 and 14.

Yu didn't ask how are they constantly losing to

Nov 27, 2017, 11:33 AM

Clemson.

You asked how they are they doing well.

Bigcu gave you The answer ....the weak sec schedule makes them look good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Yu didn't ask how are they constantly losing to

Nov 27, 2017, 11:35 AM

They looked good on D against us and we are not the SEC. That is just an ignorant answer.

Offenses and QB play in the $-EZ are largely a joke***

Nov 27, 2017, 11:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Offenses and QB play in the $-EZ are largely a joke***

Nov 27, 2017, 11:43 AM

Well the ACC has 3 in the top 25 in total O the SEC has 4. Both have 5 in the top 40 and 6 in the top 50. So where do you get that the ACC has so much better Os than the SeC?

Nov 27, 2017, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Playing in the $-EZ !!!*** ]

both were very early season with both teams trying to iron out their identities. We may get a chance to see how they do in late season form

Nov 27, 2017, 11:39 AM

This is very true. I am sure both games Auburn had been working on Clemson during the off-season and fall camp.

For starters our defensive personnel in 2011 was pretty bad

Nov 27, 2017, 11:31 AM

It took 3 years of venables and improved recruiting to really turn our D around. Auburn has a lot of talent on that side of the ball.

Honestly Steele was pretty good in 2009 and 2010.

Re: For starters our defensive personnel in 2011 was pretty bad

Nov 27, 2017, 11:33 AM

That is what I was thinking. I know with Auburn he has played a lot of press man and you have to have great athletes to do that.

it wasn't bad, there just wasn't enough NFL level players on the team..

Nov 27, 2017, 12:53 PM [ in reply to For starters our defensive personnel in 2011 was pretty bad ]

for Steele's scheme to work. Ironically enough there are at least two players on that defense whose last year was 2011 that are still playing in the NFL, Sensabaugh and Branch. So there was still good enough talent, just poorly coached

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's just 2 players. You need a good starting 11 and some

Nov 27, 2017, 2:30 PM

good depth to really have a good defensive unit. Go look at the roster.

Our LB corp, in particular, was pretty pathetic. We had a few guys that became good players later, but certainly weren't at that time. Stephone Anthony, Tony Stewardand, and BJ Goodson were FR. Spencer Shuey was a SO. We were playing like Tig Willard and Corico Hawkins. We had FR Lateek Townsend and the only thing i remember him doing his entire career at Clemson was planking up at Maryland.

We had 3 pretty good DEs (Branch, Brown, and Crawford) but nothing really behind them. DTs.. Brandon Thompson was good, but almost everyone behind him was a FR.

vs SEC offenses***

Nov 27, 2017, 11:34 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re asking the question backwards

Nov 27, 2017, 11:34 AM

Why is the SEC having trouble when they go against Steele. We all know he’s not that good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because he's a good DC and save the changes...

Nov 27, 2017, 11:44 AM

that took place once theChad was brought aboard, the philosophical differences Dabo mentions, he aided in establishing Clemson post-Bowden and helped forward Clemson by pulling Stephone Anthony & Tony Steward, Crawford, Jarrett, Williams and others important to the 2014 number 1 defense - the gold standard BV mentions.

Kevin Steele was a big hire for a former WR coach and before Dabo's first full-year once the interim tag was removed. He took over a defense that played in VK's bend don't break with smaller LBs and had to go out and get "his guys" for his Jack End aggressive style, but still managed 2 top 20 defenses & one that could have won a title had Clemson's O been able to show up after Kyle Parker was speared in Auburn.

I don't understand the acrimony some share concerning former Clemson coaches, it's pathetic really.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Because he's a good DC and save the changes...

Nov 27, 2017, 11:51 AM

Thank you for that. Yea I didn't think he was that bad at all. I do think we are better on D now but I think a lot has to do with players. BV is dang good though and I do give him a lot of the credit. It has turned out good for both programs and that is good to see.

I <3 BV, would not trade him for any. Dabo went out & hired

Nov 27, 2017, 11:57 AM

a DC that practiced on the daily against a spread offense and so no push back, he's said that about BV numerous times.

It worked out for the best for all involved, Coach Steele is putting up some fine work at Auburn and likely as a result of having more say in practice habits against Malzahn's spread-centric offense.

Once a Tiger, alway a Tiger...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Steele's weakness was dynamic, dual threat QBs

Nov 27, 2017, 11:49 AM

Name me one of those in the SEC? SEC QBs either throw the ball or hand it off. Very few of them can make you respect their legs. You are defending the run OR the pass. Very few SEC teams make you defend both after the snap.

Steele would play man and have our LBs turn their backs to the QB. The 2011 game at SC was a perfect example. Spurrier would just have his WRs and RBs run seam routes, we'd follow them with our backs to Shaw. Shaw would wait for zone to open up behind the DL and just take off. He'd run 5 yards before our LBs and DBs would even turn around.

Re: Why is Steele doing so good

Nov 27, 2017, 11:50 AM

Steele has always had a reputation as one of the best defensive coordinators around. The West Virginia
game is still a mystery to me. Sometime the players you have just doesn't match the coach's system.

I'm glad he is doing well. I like for our former coaches do well after they leave Clemson.

Nov 27, 2017, 11:54 AM

I think after that fumble return we kinds just gave up in that game.

Nov 27, 2017, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is Steele doing so good ]

I think after that fumble return we kinds just gave up in that game.

Good coach

his time here was skewed by the WVU game... but good for Dabo for moving on... ‘twas time

SEC Offenses yes, BUT

His defense doesn't only have to go up against that ever interesting bubble screen heavy offense as drawn up by Rob Spence...who now coaches High School Football I believe.

I believe he's coaching at Morgan State.***

Nov 27, 2017, 12:27 PM

Steele blows up conventional, pro style offenses

Nov 27, 2017, 11:59 AM

The SEC is full of them (Bama, Arkansas, Georgia, LSU). He struggles vs HUNH offenses. My guess is he’ll beat Georgia again in Atlanta, then lose to us or Oklahoma in the playoffs because our offense is his kryptonite.

He did well for a couple years too.

Nov 27, 2017, 12:18 PM

Then he was exploited. His defensive style fits against the rush-first SEC, and he hasn't really faced any explosive offenses.

If we play them again, we will score more than 14.

Talent and depth...It took a while to get real LBs after the

Nov 27, 2017, 12:29 PM

VK years of 1 true LB and put Ss in the other holes...VK tried to turn all the LBs we signed into DEs

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2017, 12:48 PM

It always seemed to me that we did well with Steele but were subject to get beat on a big play. Like some people have alluded to the SEC has some good offenses but they tend not to have the dangerous QB's this year. I'm sure he has continued to address his and the teams shortcomings and seems to have adjusted pretty well. I'm happy with his replacement, so it really doesn't matter to me unless we end up with a rematch. If so then we will see who makes the better adjustments for the game at that time.

Because he is loaded on the dline, allowing for more man to man coverage...

Nov 27, 2017, 12:50 PM

In coming seasons if Auburn doesn't have NFL level talent starting across the dline, the same problems will creep up like his time here

Re: Because he is loaded on the dline, allowing for more man to man coverage...

Nov 27, 2017, 2:41 PM

Man to man with safety help because he only has to bring 4. He can even play man and have some guys creep back into a zone like Van Smith did against FSU on that pick. It is amazing what you can do if you don't always have to bring pressure. I love how BV mixes it up though. You have to bring the heat sometimes no matter how good the DL is.

he is learning and getting better

Nov 27, 2017, 1:11 PM

It happens to most coaches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2017, 2:57 PM

SEC players don't go to class so they can spend more time learning his complicated defensive scheme?

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic