Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Special Teams this year and next year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Special Teams this year and next year

Dec 24, 2016, 9:58 PM

I am not overly concerned about Buckeyes beating us but I am concerned we cannot find a kicker or punter to kick the kickoffs into the end zone or make a decent punt to pin the other team deep when we have to punt.

Go TIGERS it's buckeye Cuttin time, they are a team and fan base full of nuts LOL

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Special Teams this year and next year

Dec 25, 2016, 8:58 AM

We definitely are struggling in this department. On the plus side Teasdale does kick it really high even though it doesn't go very far which seems to limit most punt returns against us.

Also I feel like we should consider trying to sky some kickoffs if we can't kick it into the end zone consistently. Let the coverage team get down there and cover it. Yeah they may start at the 30 sometimes but at least we are down there ready to make a play

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 25, 2016, 10:15 AM

Huegel can kick it to the endzone. He is instructed to try to kick it inside the 5 to keep the opposing team inside the 20. The KOR defensive team did a pretty good job of that all year. TIsdall, I don't know if he just didn't have the leg to go over 40 or if he was instructed to get height and coverage or what. There were a few times a good 50 harder or so would have been nice vice 35 and giving starting position at the 35. Is Speier the answer? Someone else? The kicker from IMG?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 25, 2016, 11:56 AM

Haha. Where have you ever heard heugel is "instructed" to kick the ball inside the 5 instead of blasting it through the endzone? Do you have a link? Because that's just crazy. Why would any coach tell their kicker to purposely kick it short and chance a big return when their kicker can kick it through the endzone? Heugel just doesn't have the leg to consistently do it, that's why. Not because he's "instructed" to kick it short.

Dec 25, 2016, 12:14 PM

Laugh all you want, but I think they would rather have the opposing team start inside the 20 than the 25. The return defense was actually pretty good this year, finishing 35th with ZERO returns for TDs, and a 19 yard average on each return. Reading comprehension may not be your strongest suit. I said he "MAY have been instructed", but seeing as you were at the practices and heard the coaches, I stand corrected. Out of 86 kickoffs, 37 were touchbacks. So that tells me Heugel CAN and DID put the ball in the endzone quite a bit. Everything isn't always as it seems.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 25, 2016, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Special Teams this year and next year ]

I can back that up. My "link" is my roommate who happens to be a player on the team. Last season we told Greg to do a "Sky kick" and ovbiously it failed pretty bad last year. So we kick it into the end zone most of the time now. However our coverage This season is much much better than last so it is not as devastating when we don't get a touchback

Dec 25, 2016, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Special Teams this year and next year ]

I do stand correct, I DIDNT say MAY. Lol I MEANT to say may. Still, I think it was our strategy to limit the return yardage, and the KOR defense did a good job of it this year. Period. Keep laughing.

Dec 25, 2016, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Special Teams this year and next year ]

See my above reply. We did the sky kick last season. And coverage was abysmal so we abandoned that. This year it could work though.

Dec 25, 2016, 1:16 PM

It pretty much did work. Rarely did the opposing start outside the 25 on kickoffs.

Dec 25, 2016, 1:17 PM

Problem was we were stubborn with it and used it when we shouldn't have and it gave up some big returns and a 3 scores.

Dec 25, 2016, 1:18 PM

That's last year I'm talking about. This year I agree.

Dec 25, 2016, 1:19 PM

Last year was bad. This year, with the influx of youth and speed on the KOR defense, they did pretty good.

Dec 25, 2016, 1:29 PM

Case in point: Pitt had THE best KOR team in the nation. This game, Heugel had 7 kickoffs, 5 went into the endzone, one returned to the 35, and one to the 16. The youth and talent on the return defense team was a lot better than last year and gave the coaching staff "options". He can kick it in the endzone when he wants to. USUCK was ranked 7th in the nation in kickoff returns, 7 returns for 139 yards. I'm just saying, I think the staff didn't feel the need to try and kick it in the end zone every kickoff. If the ball were only brought out to the 20, you might see more kicks in the endzone, I.e. Pinion.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic