Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Will turnovers hold the key to Clemson's title chances?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

New Story: Will turnovers hold the key to Clemson's title chances?

Jul 8, 2016, 8:15 AM

Will turnovers hold the key to Clemson's title chances?

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney reminds the media constantly that in order to win a championship, whether it’s a division or conference title or even a national championship, a team has to be both lucky and good. Clemson was both last season, but can they win again by losing the turnover battle? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fix Special Teams.***

Jul 8, 2016, 9:11 AM

Giving up a big return is just as bad as a turnover.***

Jul 8, 2016, 9:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I would like to know the percentage of drives that started

Jul 8, 2016, 9:34 AM

inside the 15 after a punt. It seemed like a lot.

Re: I would like to know the percentage of drives that started

Jul 8, 2016, 9:42 AM

It really wasn't punting that looked bad. I know Teasdall didn't have a great YDS Per kick but he did place a lot of kicks inside the 20 and not many teams had a chance to return any. As long as the offense gets a couple of first downs every time they get the ball our punter will be OK. It was Kickoff coverage that really hurt. I'd even take what the return team did on KO's with the exception of Bama's onside kick. An occasional long run but held on to the ball and started almost every drive with a little room so the offense didn't have to limit their plays. The idea with the Return game is holding on to the ball to get it into Deshaun's hands. Anything else is gravy. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would like to know the percentage of drives that started

Jul 8, 2016, 10:24 AM

I think it was our lack of coverage on KO's and punts and our lack of good return yards when we received that hurt us, as well. We just stunk it up on ST's last year, IMO. I really didn't see us doing much to brag about all year, in either our returns nor on our coverages. That needs to be a focus this year and into the future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well you look in to that, and let us know.***

Jul 8, 2016, 11:37 AM [ in reply to I would like to know the percentage of drives that started ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Special teams and secondary *

Jul 8, 2016, 1:21 PM

It amazes me that we seem to have the same challenges every year. We cannot continue to have the great success with all the missed coverages and special teams gaffes. As a fan who bleeds orange, it gets under my skin. As a fact, my wife, a retired Rally Cat and I have to watch games separately. I implore the coaching staff to remedy this. Looking forward to a legacy season. Go Tigers, #ALLIN!

Re: Fix Special Teams.***

Jul 8, 2016, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Fix Special Teams.*** ]

This!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

check out the kick return stats vs opponents

Jul 9, 2016, 7:46 AM [ in reply to Fix Special Teams.*** ]

http://www.clemsontigers.com/fls/28500/pdf/football/2015-16/Stats.pdf?&DB_OEM_ID=28500

Re: New Story: Will turnovers hold the key to Clemson's title chances?

Jul 8, 2016, 9:55 AM

Turnovers & weak special teams are always killers but our secondary needs to improve, especially in the second half of games. All of our close games & our loss last year were a result of our blown assignments & poor tackling in the secondary.

Jul 8, 2016, 11:36 AM

What this says to me (on the surface, looking at the teams we had turnovers against) is that our 2nd/3rd string was the problem. I remember at least a couple Kelly Bryant turnovers, etc. Watson/Gallman/Scott/etc do their thing just fine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If my memory serves me correctly we had some

Jul 8, 2016, 1:04 PM

WRs issues after losing Mike Williams. You know where Watson would put the ball up for them to make a play and they didn't early on, some young guys fumbling and Watson did have a game or two where he was off in the first half.

Renfrow was an exception, clutch all year.

Jul 8, 2016, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Will turnovers hold the key to Clemson's title chances? ]

I do wonder how many of the turnovers were when we had pulled our first string.

Danny Ford used to say single stat that determined W or L

Jul 8, 2016, 11:38 AM

was a blocked punt.

Jul 8, 2016, 11:55 AM

Also, don't forget there are Tight Ends on the field who do more than block! The National Championship game should have taught us that too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In other news; are colonoscopies fun? We'll have the

Jul 8, 2016, 1:21 PM

answer for you tonight at 11:00.

Message was edited by: TigerGrant8®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2016, 3:43 PM

Every kickoff is a defensive play. Every return is an offensive play. Emphasize them both! IMO secondary was hurt by injuries and our game plan doesn't seem to adjust well to a good TE cause "WRU" thinks in terms of wide receivers on defense too. Of course it's all that has been mentioned. I just am so pleased and proud so many top players want to come to little ole Clemson!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Turnovers, Special Teams and Defensive Backfield

Jul 8, 2016, 5:54 PM

All represent opportunities to improve and excel. Coaching will be key.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic