Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You lawyers on the board, can someone explain to me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 70
| visibility 1

You lawyers on the board, can someone explain to me

Dec 11, 2020, 8:34 AM

how Texas et al have standing in this case they are sending to the supreme court?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: You lawyers on the board, can someone explain to me

Dec 11, 2020, 9:09 AM

They don't actually, but they are claiming that those mean people in PA, Mi, AZ. and GA. who voted for Biden disenfranchised their votes for Trump.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope they had a parachute for that leap

Dec 11, 2020, 9:10 AM

If that's true, then anybody who votes against my preferred candidate disenfranchises me.

Which is not the definition of disenfranchisement.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It doesn't.***

Dec 11, 2020, 9:13 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand the basis of their case, but it seems like they

Dec 11, 2020, 9:13 AM

are squandering the argument.

I'd love feedback from the lawyers in here, but it feels like there could be some precedent established in this weak case that could be used against them in a more solid case, such as making the same argument against states if the Interstate popular vote compact ever reaches critical mass.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey

Dec 11, 2020, 9:20 AM

what?

I’ll draw some MS Paint pics and repost.***

Dec 11, 2020, 9:21 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No need. Just draw it in poop on a wall***

Dec 11, 2020, 9:21 AM

Re: I understand the basis of their case, but it seems like they

Dec 11, 2020, 9:35 AM [ in reply to I understand the basis of their case, but it seems like they ]

Not sure who you are saying is squandering something. The potential dangerous precedent is that if the States are allowed to file suit after every election, the Supreme Court will be in charge of every election.

The Supreme Court will never allow that to be the precedent. A similar rule applies to voters who are unhappy with the outcome of an election. They lack standing to sue.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, I may not be clear, or am just missing the

Dec 11, 2020, 10:38 AM

legal mark....

I'm saying if the court were to make a broad judgement and rule that another state's voters cannot disenfranchise the voters of another state, would that not be a precedent?

And if, down the road, a more "serious" case arose, such as the Interstate popular vote compact becoming reality, and a non IPV state files suit on the same grounds (their voters being disenfranchised by those of another state), could the precedent from this case not be used against them in that case?

I don't understand how, in any scenario,

Dec 11, 2020, 12:15 PM

even this "interstate popular vote" thing (which I think is silly), voters in another state could say they've been disenfranchised.

If another state chooses to appoint their electors in a different way, that's their business. I can think it's wrong and not like it, but I'm not disenfranchised by it.

Seems like the ones disenfranchised would be

Dec 11, 2020, 12:16 PM

the ones within those states.

That's correct.***

Dec 11, 2020, 2:24 PM

Re: I don't understand how, in any scenario,

Dec 11, 2020, 12:23 PM [ in reply to I don't understand how, in any scenario, ]

If the other states legally choose to appoint their electors

Dec 11, 2020, 12:29 PM

in a different way, then it's not illegitimate. It might be really stupid, and against what I believe in, and if I lived there, I might move, but it's not illegal.

See, you just said something that I don't think the Texas AG can say out loud, but I think it's true. What they don't want is Joe Biden being President, because they think that's bad for them and the country. It's not about whether other states followed the law or not. It's about not wanting a bad President. That's why they are only suing states that Biden won.

Obviously, Texas cannot argue in court that they are damaged by Biden being President, because it hasn't even happened yet.

Re: If the other states legally choose to appoint their electors

Dec 11, 2020, 12:47 PM

And how does the PA legislature's power

Dec 11, 2020, 12:48 PM

get delegated to the Texas AG?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And how does the PA legislature's power

Dec 11, 2020, 12:52 PM

So to get this straight. More people in PA voted for Biden

Dec 11, 2020, 12:54 PM

but because election officials "didn't follow their laws" A completely different state is saying to invalidate those millions of votes and make the state legislature (of a state they have nothing to do with) vote for who's president. Not the people. Their vote doesn't matter.

And you're ok with this.

Re: So to get this straight. More people in PA voted for Biden

Dec 11, 2020, 12:56 PM

Legislatures delegate their authority all the time...

Dec 11, 2020, 12:58 PM

sometimes to the executive and sometimes to the administrative agencies charged with handling day to day crap.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Legislatures delegate their authority all the time...

Dec 11, 2020, 1:01 PM

At least you are consistent. SCOTUS is NOT going

Dec 11, 2020, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: So to get this straight. More people in PA voted for Biden ]

to approve this case. Every legal constitution expert that has provided comments to the media have all said that this will never make it through SCOTUS.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At least you are consistent. SCOTUS is NOT going

Dec 11, 2020, 1:46 PM

Oh Christ. That's a dumb argument.

Dec 11, 2020, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Re: So to get this straight. More people in PA voted for Biden ]

Flip it around. They (Texas) doesn't know that more people didn't vote for Biden because of all of that. The burden of proof is on them, and they don't have it.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

This subthread is not about Texas lawsuit situation.

Dec 11, 2020, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: And how does the PA legislature's power ]

At least I didn't think it was.

This subthread is about the scenario of a state deciding to choose its electors in a different way, like using national popular vote.

But if they wanted to exercise that power, why didn't they?

Dec 11, 2020, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Re: And how does the PA legislature's power ]

They had every opportunity to do so from the very moment the law was enacted. They chose not to.

if they chose not to, why does the Texas AG think he can make them?

This case is frivolous ########.

Re: But if they wanted to exercise that power, why didn't they?

Dec 11, 2020, 12:57 PM

So when they lost, they now have "standing"...? Nice.***

Dec 11, 2020, 1:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, that's what he said.

Dec 11, 2020, 1:59 PM

Texas AG can't say that out loud, but it's the reality. If PA had gone for the President, with the same "illegal" apparatus, they wouldn't have sued them.

Has DRad called Swoffie about the ND game yet...?***

Dec 11, 2020, 2:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're talking about different things.

Dec 11, 2020, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Re: If the other states legally choose to appoint their electors ]

I'm talking about those legislatures changing how they appoint electors, just as you describe.

You appear to believe I'm talking about something else.

Re: I don't understand how, in any scenario,

Dec 11, 2020, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't understand how, in any scenario, ]

Right it is simple, and I see it the same way. The big question in my mind is is there proof the exec branches in those states broke the law? But, maybe since electors are used instead of popular votes, the argument is weaker.

Agree, though, the SC may not want to take the case just because they don't want to set the precedent of taking one like this...

Seems to me, there should be clarity at the level of their (SC) legal thinking on whether or not the case has merit. Just have to wait and see...

The Texas case is going nowhere. My guess is we get

Dec 11, 2020, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't understand how, in any scenario, ]

the word back from SCOTUS late this afternoon, or worst case Monday morning.

Trumps tweet tone today lends one to believe he knows it is dead.

If the SCOTUS doesn't hear the case they will...

Dec 11, 2020, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Re: I understand the basis of their case, but it seems like they ]

set a precedent that no suit between states should be heard. That was part of Thomas' descent in Nebraska v Colorado about legalized pot against federal law.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not just because it's two different states...

Dec 11, 2020, 2:11 PM

It'd be thrown out because Texas was not damaged, therefore has no standing. It's not a blanket statement about all cases between states.

Good Lord...

Dec 11, 2020, 2:16 PM [ in reply to If the SCOTUS doesn't hear the case they will... ]

please, stop opining about legal precedent.

May I ask a question then?

Dec 11, 2020, 2:23 PM

Does 'Motion for Leave to File a Bill of Complaint,' mean anything to a lawyer?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here:

Dec 11, 2020, 2:28 PM [ in reply to If the SCOTUS doesn't hear the case they will... ]

"The complaint, on its face, presents a “controvers[y]
between two or more States” that this Court alone has
authority to adjudicate. 28 U. S. C. §1251(a). The plaintiff States have alleged significant harms to their sovereign interests caused by another State. Whatever the
merit of the plaintiff States’ claims, we should let this
complaint proceed further rather than denying leave

without so much as a word of explanation.

Cite as: 577 U. S. ____ (2016) 5
THOMAS, J., dissenting

Thomas's dissent is the opposite of what the law is.***

Dec 11, 2020, 2:33 PM

So he's an activist judge?***

Dec 11, 2020, 2:35 PM

Sort of. Here's why.

Dec 11, 2020, 2:47 PM

In that dissent, Thomas (joined by Alito) reasons that the Supreme Court has no discretion about taking cases so long as it is between two States. At the same time, he acknowledges that it already the law of land that the Supreme Court has discretion.

So, to the effect he's trying to reverse an existing body of case law, that's somewhat activist. But wait! There's more. In that same dissent, Thomas admits that he has applied the law of the land in other dissents! Got that? He's admitting that, depending on how he felt about different cases, he wanted to either apply the discretionary rule or undo the discretionary rule.

For anyone who wants to read the dissent, it's linked below. Citation is Nebraska v. Colorado, 136 S. Ct. 1034 (2016).

I also recommend Thomas and Scalia's dissent in Wyoming v. Oklahoma, 502 U.S. 437 (1992), where they think that the discretionary rule should have been followed:
We exercise this discretion even with respect to controversies between two or more States, which fall within our original and exclusive jurisdiction.
Linked that one below as well.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/144orig_6479.pdf

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/502/437/

Yes, I read the entire statement.

Dec 11, 2020, 3:05 PM

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/144orig_6479.pdf

That's the same link I just gave you.

Dec 11, 2020, 3:29 PM

Not sure what to do from here.

I was just saying I'd read that previously to you posting it

Dec 11, 2020, 3:33 PM

I introduced the Nebraska v Col and Thomas descent and that's where I got it. I didn't get that from Q but don't tell spooneye®, he's kinda sensitive about Q for some reason.

Re: I was just saying I'd read that previously to you posting it

Dec 11, 2020, 3:45 PM

I am spooneye®. That's who you are talking with now.

OK, so to clarify: I read the case that you mentioned, and then I told you why it's judicial activism, and I linked you to another case to illustrate the point.

Did you understand my answer about why it's judicial activism?

I'd read that last sentence as what he wants...

Dec 11, 2020, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Thomas's dissent is the opposite of what the law is.*** ]

he wants the court to explain why the case is ######## rather than just punt it.

I read the entire sentence.

Dec 11, 2020, 2:58 PM

I bring your attention to this 'we should let this complaint proceed further,' as his opinion on whether or not it should be heard. 'Rather than,' as a conjunction which is properly respective of other conjunction such as 'opposed to, instead of,' and 'sooner than.'

"The complaint, on its face, presents a “controvers[y] between two or more States” that this Court alone has authority to adjudicate. 28 U. S. C. §1251(a). The plaintiff States have alleged significant harms to their sovereign interests caused by another State. Whatever the merit of the plaintiff States’ claims, we should let this complaint proceed further rather than denying leave
without so much as a word of explanation."

I so want to say something nasty and dismiss you as easily as you dismiss me.

Go for it...

Dec 11, 2020, 3:14 PM

I don't really get my feelings hurt. It's part of the job.

Re: Go for it...

Dec 11, 2020, 3:37 PM

I also took the last phrase of his descent as a shot at the majority opinion. It sounded like something my grandmother would say. Wait, it sounds like something I would say now. Oh hell, I'm turning into my grandmother.

I don't think you can read too much into a dissent...

Dec 11, 2020, 3:44 PM

as Spooneye pointed out a Justice who suggests on one day that discretion is unfounded will suggest on another that it is imperative. Thus, it does not establish any precedent.

Re: I understand the basis of their case, but it seems like they

Dec 11, 2020, 2:06 PM [ in reply to I understand the basis of their case, but it seems like they ]

Nebraska v Colorado over pot law was rejected for review but the descent by Alito and Thomas was strong. Since, three of the majority are no longer on the court. That's just about hearing the case though. There's a ton written covering similarities though not many cases to cover. Every article has it's own life so you have to wade through the writer's opinion but those dozen or so I've read have quotes and links to actual cases.

Dec 11, 2020, 9:19 AM

I can't really comment from the lawyer perspective, but I am a borderline compulsive gambler. Is that okay? With those credentials with my basic logic, this doesn't help Trump get a 2nd term in any way. Trump is done. Why are people still even "debating" it. It's over.

Why go to all of this trouble when this election was

Dec 11, 2020, 9:25 AM

actually a large sting operation to catch the Democrat and the Deep State fraud. Why has the trap not been sprung? Is SCOTUS part of the Deep State and this is part of the plan to expose them as well?

The only thing that is clear is that Trump will be President for life and the succession will follow though his male offspring.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ivanka's pixxed... Jared's calling Jerusalem...***

Dec 11, 2020, 1:52 PM

Dec 11, 2020, 9:27 AM

only the fake ballots need to be thrown out, and maybe the duplicate votes

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2020, 9:29 AM

so nothing needs to be done and we can quit wasting money and the time of the court

And how do you know which ones are fake?***

Dec 11, 2020, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Re: You lawyers on the board, can someone explain to me ]

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: And how do you know which ones are fake?***

Dec 11, 2020, 9:37 AM

start with the mail in ballots without dates or signatures if they havent been shredded

And what exactly...

Dec 11, 2020, 9:39 AM

Makes a ballot automatically fake if it lacks a signature or date? How many of those ballots are there?

Re: And what exactly...

Dec 11, 2020, 9:42 AM

votes should be verified, as if you are voting in person, otherwise there is no equal protection

barrett will explain it to you

So how many...

Dec 11, 2020, 9:47 AM

Illegal mail-in ballots were there? Let me guess. Just enough to give Trump the win.

Doesn't look like Barrett is going to explain anything other than how stupid all these lawsuits are.

Mail in ballots don't have signatures

Dec 11, 2020, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: And how do you know which ones are fake?*** ]

the security envelope they came in does. That was checked twice before being counted then separated.

^^ This^^***

Dec 11, 2020, 5:20 PM

The ones that say Biden. Duh!***

Dec 11, 2020, 9:39 AM [ in reply to And how do you know which ones are fake?*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fake and duplicate votes have already been

Dec 11, 2020, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: You lawyers on the board, can someone explain to me ]

thrown out, as they are in every election.

Oh yeah? well then why is biden still winning?***

Dec 11, 2020, 11:45 AM

something something "substantive due process"

Dec 11, 2020, 3:41 PM

something something "the election wasn't fair" something something Texas wants to make everyone have the same election laws as everyone else.

I just listened to Ben Shapiro explain it all, and he basically said its a BS lawsuit.

If somehow this were to work for Trump, we prob are looking at civil war and military lockdowns.

As the Montana Governor points out...

Dec 11, 2020, 5:10 PM

If Texas is able to actually win this case (it won't and likely won't even be heard by the Supreme Court) it won't give the election to Trump, it'll just mean chaos. It says something when that's preferable to one side over simply losing an election.

Re: As the Montana Governor points out...

Dec 11, 2020, 5:23 PM

1. The Governor is pointing out the hypocrisy and illogic

Dec 11, 2020, 6:09 PM

used in the Texas case. The point is if Texas' AG really believed he or his state was harmed he would have also sued Montana. He's not saying Texas can't sue, just that it's clear that the reason behind the case is trying to overturn the election result because their guy lost.

If you don't think overturning an election where more than 160 million votes were cast and no evidence has been presented that there was widespread fraud or any reason to throw those votes out, then we live in two different realities and we'll have to agree to disagree. (Although, we at least live in the same reality where we both agree this case will not go anywhere)

Replies: 70
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic