Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
17-25-2
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

17-25-2

Jan 4, 2021, 8:50 AM

Clemson's football record during my years in school there...'73-'77. Sobering...very...compared to multiple senior classes who haven't lost as many games as the '75 season delivered on its' own.

I was thunderstruck by '81's Natty...and '16 and '18 are more than I ever expected and am forever grateful. There may be more...won't be surprised...but I'll enjoy the journey along the way, regardless.

For those who choose to lament, or even wallow in misery over a loss...well, best wishes. Beyond counseling, I have no other recommendations for how to follow a 'game' that offers great personal entertainment and tremendous growth opportunities for the young men who are on the team.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good perspective Salty!

Jan 4, 2021, 8:55 AM

??

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even good kids get their rear ends spanked occasionally...

Jan 4, 2021, 9:08 AM

It helps keep you humble and motivated, and much more appreciative of the successes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Even good kids get their rear ends spanked occasionally...

Jan 4, 2021, 8:32 PM

So...you're saying that's why I'm humble? ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 17-25-2

Jan 4, 2021, 9:25 AM

No doubt those were some tough days. However, for a little modern day analogy, consider this .... Just two years ago the media proclaimed a certain college football team had the best ever offense, and was a force that no other team could compete with. In fact, they called them they greatest team ever assembled. Then, a lowly team from one of the worst power 5 conferences, with a freshman quarterback, freshmen receiver, and sophomore running back beat the pants off them by 28 points!!! In fact, the beating could have been worse if that team had not gone conservative for the whole 4th quarter. For the next six months, the fans of Alabama actually called for the firing of Saban. Said his teaching methods and football philosophy was becoming extinct. Said that Georgia with their new head coach from Bama's staff would quickly rise to be the powerhouse of the SEC. Yes sir, the future looked dim for sure. How could the fans be wrong? Well, just tune in next Monday and watch that team play for another Natty. Just like Bama, we will be back. Just give the coaches the time they need to make it right. Go Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2021, 9:27 AM

My dad was on Frank Howard's 1948 undefeated Gator Bowl team. We would go to games and he would, by just being who he was, model how I feel about my Tigers today. 1.) They are "our boys", 2.) We want our boys to play hard, play fair and do their very best, 3.) Our boys have worked unbelievably hard and given up more than most can imagine to be there and we respect that by cheering when they do well and groaning (quietly) in shared disappointment when they do not., 4.) We don't want anyone on either team to get injured or do anything that would make them embarrassed to come back home (to Clemson) for their team reunions, and 5.) we are in our seats for the warm up and never, ever leave before the game is over.

I've seen some teams that made my heart ache for them, there have been moments where I thought individual players had not given their best effort and I've seen moments where I hoped that a player's teammates would reach out to him and reassure him that he would be welcome at team functions in spite of their utter failure on a particular play. I've seen my Tigers outclassed on the field many times and I've seen them loose when they should have won. This dominance in the last 10+ years has been great and I never want it to end but, if it does, I'll still be a Tiger. This team has been awesome! We've seen players blossom... Cornell Powell? Where did THAT come from? We've seen future Clemson legends getting their first playing time. We've seen present Clemson legends wrap up unbelievable careers. Oh, what a great time to be a Tiger.

Jan 4, 2021, 9:40 AM

Here, Here!!! +1 On "The Wide World Of Sports" show the intro spoke of "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat". That is what we get the blessing of enjoying/enduring together as Clemson Tigers. Lately, we've had almost no agony due to defeats, but what thrills we have enjoyed! I have said many times that one cannot truly appreciate the thrill of victory, until he has suffered through the agony of defeat. I have lived through both times, and I'm just thankful I got to live through those times as a Clemson Tiger. Yes, folks, we surely have been richly blessed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of 77 ALUMNI says Hello

Jan 4, 2021, 8:46 PM

7-4 in 74, winning all 7 home games and not going to a bowl game.

That was the spectacular year during my tenure at Clemson. Great times.

I cannot imagine winning almost every game ... every year.

PERSPECTIVE!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes gotta put things in perspective.

Jan 4, 2021, 9:01 PM

I know many fans have gotten spoiled by the stretch of success (myself included) but you look & most of us have stories of the low points. By the time I was old enough to be able to get into football & understand the game, the Danny Ford era was over & the success of the 1980s was about to give way to decades of mediocrity. When I went to school at Clemson from 2003-07, we'd always stub our toe against an inferior team or lose a game that could've pushed us over the hump that divided good from great.

While I do lose track of that at times, as a fan there was a time when I'd only just be able to hear about Clemson winning championships from old stories and articles or by watching old games on YouTube. We do need to enjoy the good times b/c as they happen w/ all programs, they do go away. Its happened to Clemson before. Its happened to Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas, Notre Dame, etc...you could be championship contender 1 season then lost in the desert for several years wondering if you'll see your team find their way back.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

23-24 my first 4 years 96-99.

Jan 4, 2021, 10:23 PM

I added a fall semester so I could study abroad in Santiago Chile. That next fall of 2000 we were 9-3.

Overall for me, 32-27.

I'm a happy man.
Clemson success for the last 10 years has coincided beautifully with special.times for my 8yo to now 18yo daughter. The bond in the joy, the excitement, the travel, the hope, the losses and the tremendous success combined with amazing life lessons from Dabo Swinney...

Yeh, I'm a very proud Clemson man.

Great post Salty

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I dont remember the records of each year, but

Jan 4, 2021, 10:40 PM

I was there from 91 to 95, and can say I am a stoic man because of how my heart was ripped out so many times during those years and the ones closely following....there were some good times like the Tennessee beatdown in the Peach Bowl, but there were more crap-fests like Matt Ryan beating us on a bomb, or Georgia Tech beating us when we were 10 up with 2 minutes to go.

I told my wife when we were leaving Tampa after the 2016 Natty, that I was good for life. Any victory from then on was just gravy, and I meant it...

We have enjoyed and continue to enjoy this ride because of those '90s and early 2000's years.

Go Tigers!

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic