Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Somebody asked a good question on 105.5 this am...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Somebody asked a good question on 105.5 this am...

Dec 12, 2017, 3:33 PM

Will Dabo ever have a Heisman winner? We don't leave starters in long enough to inflate stats like a Louisville. We have more of a team philosophy. No one person is above the team. Dabo also loves to get experience in with the underclassmen to help maintain our success.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Somebody asked a good question on 105.5 this am...

Dec 12, 2017, 3:36 PM

He should have already had one in Watson. Eventually someone will see greatness isn't just about stats against some scrub team when you are up by 30 points.

Even if it never happens there is nothing anyone can take away from the greatness that Dabo has brought to our program.

Exactly. This is why we're in the cfp in an obvious

Dec 12, 2017, 3:37 PM

rebuilding year. Also why Petrino will never sniff the cfp

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

We have two-time winner coming in December.***

Dec 12, 2017, 3:38 PM

That's a tad optimistic considering only 1 player in the 80+

Dec 12, 2017, 6:09 PM

year history of the award has ever won twice and that was over 40 years ago.

I think he was conservative.***

Dec 12, 2017, 9:03 PM

Yeah, me too.***

Dec 13, 2017, 9:29 AM

We already have 1 of next year's favorites on the team,

Dec 12, 2017, 3:42 PM

It chaps some, but KB2 is showing up on every early list.

It will be funny next Spring/Summer

Dec 13, 2017, 6:16 AM

when everyone lists him as a Heisman candidate, but our fan base wants Lawerence.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2017, 3:44 PM

I don't think it really matters anymore, a lot of people are starting to take notice and the Heisman is becoming more of a Joke than an award over the last few years. We knew who the best player in the country was last year, we don't need a bunch of knucklehead voters to tell us otherwise.

Dec 12, 2017, 3:56 PM

I feel like the best shot we have in the next few years will be Trevor Lawrence or maybe Travis ETN. It will be hard for ETN to get it once we start throwing the ball more but he does have the potential and is exciting to watch.

Dec 12, 2017, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Somebody asked a good question on 105.5 this am... ]

Agreed. After the run of Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, Johnny Manziel, and now Bonehead Mayfield all winning the Heisman, I have lost all respect for Heisman voters. They have forgotten about the character aspect of the Heisman and how it's supposed to go to a superior athlete that carries themselves well and is a respectable young man. Those 4 mentioned above all had off-field issues going on the year they won. I had begun to respect the O'Brien award more after Deshaun got it two years in a row, but then they go and give that one to Mayfield again as well.

I'm to the point where I don't care about those individual awards anymore. All about Championships now!

Dec 12, 2017, 4:54 PM

I'm with you, jameis did it for me. He was the final proof that character didn't matter. Plus dw4 was the hands down most deserving in 2015 & 2016

Did Jameis win the award before most of his character

Dec 12, 2017, 6:10 PM

issues came out? He won the 2013 Heisman and i think all of his off-field stuff began over the following summer and then the 2014 season.

I think there's another factor involved too.

Dec 12, 2017, 3:50 PM

Contrary to Clemson's style of offense and defense Dabo, Brent, Tony and Jeff are extremely conservative when it comes to risking starters' health by playing them continuously after the game is under control.

So no, I doubt we'll ever have a Heisman winner unless Dabo sees that as a worthy goal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We all know that the Heisman is won in 2 games on ESPN

Dec 12, 2017, 4:11 PM

so that they can start the hype machine. So yes, if we have a RB or QB that just completely goes off in those 2 games then sure.

Lamar Jackson actually played better and more contained this year than last. But he didn't play well against Clemson and NC State...both prime time ESPN games, and never got into their conversation.

It is on Dabo's list.

Dec 12, 2017, 4:13 PM

Dabo has three things he wants to accomplish and it's on there.
In no particular order,
1) A Heisman Trophy winner
2) An undefeated season
3) A number one draft pick

He could possibly get the number one draft pick with Dexter Lawrence. He is such a planner. I fully expect him to analyze how to and get all three. I'm sure they will all be accomplished at Clemson.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trevor Lawrence says "Hi"***

Dec 12, 2017, 4:30 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trevor Lawrence says "Hi"***

Dec 12, 2017, 5:07 PM

Yes, there might be a Trevor Lawrence for Heisman campaign, but given that he's still in high school and we will have a returning senior starter when he does get her, let's wait before we get the publicity machine in gear. Oh yeah, there are a couple other guys who want to make their case to be the '19 QB1.

If high school achievements were on par with D1 Power 5 football, Willie Korn would have been an All American.

Re: Trevor Lawrence says "Hi"***

Dec 12, 2017, 5:56 PM

I watched Willie in a couple of HS games. I wanted to be impressed but I was underwhelmed. TL is a completely different animal.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2017, 8:17 PM

I have no respect for the award anymore. Not sour grapes, but it's become a popularity contest. In fact, I didn't even know who was in the running this year, nor what day the award would be given.

I think Deshaun would’ve won last year if he hadn’t started so slowly.

Dec 12, 2017, 9:11 PM

Don’t get me wrong, there are huge issues with the Heisman, including the fact that media hype early in the year and gaudy stats both matter more than they should. But Deshaun didn’t help himself by starting slowly last year. He also threw a lot of interceptions.

I think Deshaun deserved it, but Jackson had an outstanding year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Dec 13, 2017, 6:29 AM

I've always thought the media should not even be voting. They have the power to influence the voting anyway constantly talking about it. It should be coaches and/or people that understand the intent of the award. I agree it has become a popularity vote and the original qualifications have just gone out the window. Its lost a lot of its shine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic