Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am afraid college football will go the way of Nascar, once
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

I am afraid college football will go the way of Nascar, once

Oct 2, 2019, 1:36 PM

this pay for play stuff goes into effect. Nascar had a huge regional following, just like college football in the South. Then, they decided to go Corporate, expand the business side, allowed advertisers to take over, and played ping pong with the TV contracts to the point that no one could guess from week to week where a race was being broadcast. Attendance plummeted, and now they are pretty much irrelevant.

I see the same thing about to happen to college football. The advertisers will start to pay players for their "likeness" individually, in lieu of supporting the sport in general. It will become more of a "look at me" deal similar to the prima donnas in the NBA, where no one cares a rats buttocks about the team. It has already started to happen with players sitting out bowls, or even parts of seasons, and pay for play hasn't even been enacted yet.

You had best believe that the NCAA will not sit idly by, now that states have actually begun to pass these kinds of legislation. Scholarship rules will be changed so that players will have to pay the schools a percentage of any earnings they make from their "likeness", etc, while in school. And, I say, that is only fair. If the players have a right to profit from their image while in college, the colleges have a right to recoup some of that money for the investment they have made in those same players, which allowed them to increase the value of that "brand". It's not a one way street.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree...one thing we all love about the Clemson culture

Oct 2, 2019, 1:40 PM

is the "team first" concept. We all know that once the money takes control, it becomes a "me first, kill or be killed" kind of deal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After Dale Earnhardt died it started its long slow descent***

Oct 3, 2019, 1:03 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The schools are already profiting off the players

Oct 2, 2019, 1:46 PM

Go to the Clemson athletics website and buy your kid a Trevor Lawrence #16 jersey for $59.99. Or if you're one of those weird adults that wears jerseys you can buy yourself one for $99.99. They also have ETN jerseys there if you prefer #9.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: The schools are already profiting off the players

Oct 2, 2019, 1:58 PM

The schools make most of their money off the general student body, not the athletes.

So that would change by schools getting a cut of

Oct 2, 2019, 2:03 PM

a player's endorsement money?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

and because of that do you know how easily.........

Oct 2, 2019, 2:02 PM [ in reply to The schools are already profiting off the players ]

Lawrence and/or Etienne could go out and get a job REGARDLESS of whether or not they ever played a down of football again?

a lot of college kids would love to have that free marketing and advertising of themselves for when they enter "the real world"

So are you arguing for or against a school taking a cut of

Oct 2, 2019, 2:06 PM

a player's endorsement money?

im against anything more than the players current........

Oct 2, 2019, 2:15 PM

stipend, tuition, medical care, food, travels, tutoring, internship/co-ops abroad, gear, trips, etc....

just like other college students, if they're good enough and patient they'll be paid when they go to the "next level"

Ok, so you went completely off topic, got it***

Oct 2, 2019, 2:39 PM

So you’re for communist economics when it comes to college athletes?***

Oct 2, 2019, 2:51 PM [ in reply to im against anything more than the players current........ ]

Re: So are you arguing for or against a school taking a cut of

Oct 2, 2019, 4:06 PM [ in reply to So are you arguing for or against a school taking a cut of ]

what is to stop a mega rich fan that supports a certain school to set up deals for the prized recruits to earn them money for playing at that school, all they have to do is not be an official booster & how could you even regulate it? kids will go to where they can make the most $$$$$$$ and it will hurt college athletics, because a dirty program like Ohio State can behind the scenes arrange for their recruits to make massive bank & give them an unfair recruiting advantage, this is going to be so easy to take advantage of

Lol are you trying to pretend that doesn’t already happen?

Oct 2, 2019, 9:57 PM

Or are you just that naive?

Oct 2, 2019, 2:09 PM [ in reply to The schools are already profiting off the players ]

Here is Clemsons 2017-2018 football revenue, as reported in the Greenville Newspaper

Clemson Football Revenue 2017-18

Ticket Sales: $24,856,086

Bowl Revenues: $2,891,254

Contributions: $5,220,176

In-Kind Car Leases: $42,828

Institutional Support: $1,551,104

Program Sales, concessions, novelty sales, parking: $1,268,336

Royalties, advertisements and sponsorships: $750,000

Endowment and Investment: $20,103

Sport camps: $919,005

ACC Distribution: $16,346,384

TOTAL: $53,865,276

Now, the jersey sales you spoke of would show up directly in "novelty" sales, and indirectly as "royalties" from licensing agreements. Even if you put those two whole categories together, that amount is still not quite enough to pay Brent Venables annual salary. It is not the huge pot of money that you think it is. I'm not trying to come down on either side of the pay for play argument by pointing that out. I AM trying to diffuse the notion that there is the huge unlimited pool of money lying around that Clemson, or any other school could use to pay athletes. And make no mistake, if pay for play ever happens, it BETTER be administated by the NCAA and the schools. Otherwise, what happens will make the current underground illegal booster system look like a Church Choir in comparison.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and if you look at the expenses

Oct 2, 2019, 2:20 PM

Exactly. The guvmint said it must be so in law via Title IX.***

Oct 2, 2019, 2:30 PM

Ok, so how much do you think the school would make

Oct 2, 2019, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: The schools are already profiting off the players ]

by taking a cut of the endorsement money kids would receive? I used jerseys as an example. All of the football revenue is really money the school makes off of their student athletes. I was fine with most of your post until you introduced the idea of a school taking a cut. That's ludicrous.

Re: Ok, so how much do you think the school would make

Oct 2, 2019, 4:59 PM

I'm pretty sure that the kid using anything related to the school would be copyright infringement. Sure he could just be a spokesman independent of the school but he would stand to make a lot more using the fact that he is QB for University X. At that point he would have to share.

Oct 2, 2019, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Re: The schools are already profiting off the players ]

“Still not enough to pay Venables salary”

That kind of the point. Why should these coaches be making millions while the players make nothing but a few grand?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Oct 3, 2019, 12:09 AM

You could also apply for admission and pay 30k+ a year to attend college like the rest of the students. Any of them are free to do that, provided they are accepted. No one is forcing anyone to play football under the current terms.

The real issue is to make the NFL either establish a minor league and/or take players straight out of high school. It's not the colleges that make a player stay 3 years.

So then your options would be to try to make it in the minors (or the league depending on how set up) or attend school for 3 years like baseball does.

Just like many minor league baseball players, tons of football players would slink away into obscurity, by languishing in the minors playing in front of a few thousand fans, or getting cut, or quitting.

Good luck finding work because you were no longer a well-known college athlete that never made it to the league (but easily recognized by the alumni base)...now your are just a kid that made a couple thousand in the minors trying to make it to the league the hard way.

A college player does receive recognition and vast amounts of marketing by playing under the big lights of major college football. Do we know who Tim Tebow is if he goes to the minor leagues of football and never cuts it as a QB at the next level? He was given multiple shots because of who he was, not for his NFL QB skills. Instead he is nationally famous and makes a living off of his name while not playing in the league because he was a great college player.

Oct 3, 2019, 1:18 AM

This is the best response, comment I’ve seen on this topic yet. Great job.

Oct 2, 2019, 2:28 PM [ in reply to The schools are already profiting off the players ]

Remove the tiger paw off the jersey, make it a color other than Clemson colors and see how well they sell.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2019, 2:33 PM

Exactly. I have been in flea markets all over the country, and I don't think I have ever seen a Vanderbilt golf cap, just to use them as an example of on field ineptitude.

This further points out how easily Coots are brainwashed, as they have the same on field ineptitude, but good off the field memorabilia sales.

Yes, it's a symbiotic relationship

Oct 2, 2019, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Re: The schools are already profiting off the players ]

Except the school gets money from it and the player does not.

Oct 2, 2019, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Re: The schools are already profiting off the players ]

Don't you think that the Clemson Licensing Corporation is going to sign a contract with a Clemson player's agent to use the paw on the jersey that the athlete will sell? Sounds like a win win situation to me.

Oct 2, 2019, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: The schools are already profiting off the players ]

Don't you think that the Clemson Licensing Corporation is going to sign a contract with a Clemson player's agent to use the paw on the jersey that the athlete will sell? Sounds like a win win situation to me.

Oct 2, 2019, 3:57 PM [ in reply to The schools are already profiting off the players ]

Not for pay for play but those jerseys don't have their name on them. They are generic ones made. Could be a Wayne Gallman or Jordan Leggit.
GWPTiger® said:

Go to the Clemson athletics website and buy your kid a Trevor Lawrence #16 jersey for $59.99. Or if you're one of those weird adults that wears jerseys you can buy yourself one for $99.99. They also have ETN jerseys there if you prefer #9.

NO they aren't. They are profiting off the fans.

Oct 2, 2019, 4:24 PM [ in reply to The schools are already profiting off the players ]

Players don't pay a penny.

We show up because the jersey has a paw on it, not the name on the back.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you’re for a communist style economic system in college athletics...

Oct 2, 2019, 2:48 PM

or do you support capitalism where market value decides on how people get paid

You left out a tiny detail...

Oct 2, 2019, 3:06 PM

...this "pay for play stuff" has not been accepted by the NCAA. Until then it's really nothing more than a state-law in California because the NCAA can simply say "no" and "your membership to the NCAA has been revoked".

The Universities (which fund the NCAA) can simply refuse to back NCAA membership to any member institutions that agree to pay players. California schools participating in CFB, NCAA tournament, etc.... might very well become a thing of the past. At the moment they're on the outside looking in.

A similar bill would not pass the South Carolina Legislature.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA is way behind the ball on this issue***

Oct 2, 2019, 3:42 PM

Re: You left out a tiny detail...

Oct 2, 2019, 5:15 PM [ in reply to You left out a tiny detail... ]

Reckless96 said:

...The Universities (which fund the NCAA) can simply refuse to back NCAA membership to any member institutions that agree to pay players.

Going in a different direction, Mark Cuban said that if things were not addressed, he could see a group of schools separating from the NCAA and making their own league with their own rules. I don't like it but I tend to agree. I think things will shake out completely different from the California law but I think the NCAA will have to make some concessions somewhere.

Re: You left out a tiny detail...

Oct 3, 2019, 7:22 AM

They should do that. Like yesterday. True amateurs can stay in the NCAA. The California schools, OSU, etc can all form their own “semi-pro” league.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am afraid college football will go the way of Nascar, once

Oct 2, 2019, 4:22 PM

Totally agree 100%. It will change the dynamics of college football in a very negative way and will further increase ticket and concession prices.

Also, Dabo has made it clear he will find something else to do if players start getting paid.

Oct 2, 2019, 10:19 PM

This is the first thing I thought of when ppl started talking about this.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2019, 10:42 PM

If it were a system where every collegiate football player got an extra stipend of say $1000/month (just to throw a number out there) and it didn't matter what team or conference in which you paid it might not be too bad. Sure you'd still have the whining of the perpetually aggrieved who are never happy about anything but it would at least be workable and somewhat fair. If its an every player for himself situation and you allow them to get into endorsements, agents, etc then it will ultimately be the end of the golden goose that funds all collegiate athletics.

Oct 2, 2019, 10:48 PM

NASCAR ratings & attendance have been going back up, having Jeff Gordon (first half of the season) & Dale Jr (2nd half of the season) has helped renew interest, this is from this years Bristol Night Race, any school would want this kind of attendance

Oct 2, 2019, 10:51 PM

I don’t understand all this doom and gloom. It’s actually going to be great for the sport.

All these kids are already getting paid, it’s just going to bring it out into the open and make the sport fair again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Oct 3, 2019, 12:14 AM

I would be ok with someone on the tennis team or swimming team having a summer clinic and making a few bucks based on what they are (college athletes). Probably be ok with a T Lawrence football camp provided the going rate was similar to other football camps.

I'd be hard pressed to support a Tua Nike endorsement deal for him to enter the transfer portal and go to Oregon for 5 million/year.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic