Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
so does anyone know if this happened last night?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

so does anyone know if this happened last night?

Apr 9, 2021, 10:52 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tomi-lahren-wont-canceled-clemson-232643166.html

What a crazy world we live in these days. Even Clemson has the lunatic fringe fungus of the unhinged left on our beautiful campus..ughh... Just ignore the lady if you don't like her platform. Its ironic that those devoted to fighting one set of a perceived moral/political superiority are the ones trying to dictate their infallible moral/political superiority.

Is there any way we can get back to normalcy? When college kids were more about working to get their diploma and maybe hitting up sloan street or TD's on a Thursday night instead of living and dying on the hill of pointless political tug of war matches?

Goodness..just shut up and relax a little. You're in college have fun before you spend the rest of your life working and being all serious all the time. If you like political commentary then go see this chick at littlejohn...if you despise her.. then go to Fike and hoop it up or go to Issaqueena and try to catch a bass or two... have fun! Protesting a political speaker doesn't sound fun to me. Sounds like a royal waste of life but...what do i know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I thought college was about choosing a

Apr 9, 2021, 10:58 AM

profession, studying to have the basis for your chosen profession, becoming well-rounded to be an asset to a future employer, striving to be hirable, meeting and learning from people from different backgrounds, be presented with and hearing different points of view without indoctrination.

Guess I am "old school."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: so does anyone know if this happened last night?

Apr 9, 2021, 10:58 AM

Isaqueena is awesome. I spent many hours out there, what a great little lake for the students to enjoy.

If you haven't slid off the ### backwards you have not

Apr 9, 2021, 11:26 AM

Lived....

Spud

Apr 9, 2021, 11:07 AM

What amazes me the most is the blind hypocrisy that is portrayed.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, times sure have changed. I remember back when I was

Apr 9, 2021, 11:14 AM

at Clemson from '72-76, there were NUMEROUS speeches, rallies, etc scheduled on a WIDE range of political topics, first and foremost of the time being Viet Nam. Lots of antiwar protests happened, along with some pro-war demonstrations. Given Clemson's military heritage, there were camps on both sides, as you would imagine. Professors even got involved, I remember well one young liberal history prof I had that proudly wore his "Vote for McGovern for President" proudly to class in 1972. He must have been among the very few who voted for old George.

Point of all that being, you were allowed to have and voice your opinion, without all the public shaming that goes on now. The idea of someone losing their job, or being jailed just because they wore a MAGA hat, or a BLM tee shirt to the wrong place would have been ludicrous.

We are getting ever closer to the break point where we will be forced into a Police State. That is not a knock on police. It is just a sign of the times in which we find ourselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone just seems to be so entitled today

Apr 9, 2021, 11:38 AM

Or act that way anyway. Both sides. Detracts from a well rounded education.

That being said, in 4.5 years at Clemson I never once went to hear any political speech, and I was a poli sci major...lol. I mean you could kinda predict what would be said anyway. Still holds true I guess. You'd walk past the occasional speaker yelling and screaming about something, and there would be a crowd of some students baiting them, but just didn't participate really. Was just kinda ugly then, and ugly now, just in Littlejohn instead of some dude on the library breezeway.

You can cut on the TV and watch people argue politics for the rest of your life. Much better things to do in college than argue politics. Even in political science, it was academic, not emotional. That's long gone now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2021, 11:20 AM

does anyone care? is it not possible for you to discover whether it happened or not without running to a sports message board? Or perhaps you're just trolling? Lahren was too toxic for Glenn Beck's The Blaze, so it's hardly a case of liberal wokeness if she ran into issues coming to Clemson to offer up her fascistic garbage.

Apr 9, 2021, 11:32 AM

Apparently it happened, and you're right, nobody cares...except the "100,000" cult followers that attended to support this far right wing nut job. Nothing to note here, if a bear farts in the woods, does anybody really hear it?

Good gracious brother...remember, relax..?

Apr 9, 2021, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Re: so does anyone know if this happened last night? ]

i was looking through Yahoo's news scroll and noticed a headline that references Clemson (my alma mater), listened to the video, and had a question for the "Amphitheater" section of a forum known to include many Clemson residents, students and faculty members. I included my simpleton take on the situation b/c i shake my head at how worked up liberals and conservatives get on issues and pundits that can not and will not change no matter how mad you are about it.

Which is why at 40 something years of age i can look back at my time at Clemson and thank my lucky stars this nonsense of "cancel culture" wasn't around. If i took part in such a futile waste of time to join a petition or protest to stop others from hearing some lady speak about politics i would be so freaking embarrassed of how dumb, self indulgent i was as a college student. And how much time i wasted on such meaningless exercises that really only wreak of self importance. When there is so much better experiences to have at FREAKING CLEMSON UNIVERSITY. Man i wish i could go back and do college but then again I'd have to deal with this faction of people now that are so spoiled rotten and "KnowitAll" that they can't take break from "saving the world."

Its just a pet peeve of mine. Like just stop..have a fun and relax while you can.. and stop hating everything. Where's the traveling lecturer that is selling that?

Re: Good gracious brother...remember, relax..?

Apr 9, 2021, 12:31 PM

Honestly, that’s pretty much what she said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good gracious brother...remember, relax..?

Apr 9, 2021, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Good gracious brother...remember, relax..? ]

Keep in mind, the ones trying to stop her from speaking are from the far left, and are a very small vocal minority. The vast majority of liberals simply don't like what she has to say but aren't trying to stop her from speaking. Like the two above said, they don't care if the event took place or not.

Apr 9, 2021, 11:26 AM

She's a horrible person. Just another spreader of hate and division so she can make her money.

Thats the funny thing

Apr 9, 2021, 11:28 AM

Those complaining about people not being happy with her speaking fail to realize that her rhetoric is nothing but combative . There’s no room for “getting along” in her confrontational agenda.

You're being disingenuous. People aren't complaining

Apr 9, 2021, 2:07 PM

about "people not being happy with her speaking". Obviously everyone knows that, for a political speaker, there will always be people who don't want them on their campus. They are complaining about people trying to stop her from speaking.

I'm "not happy" about a lot of people that would come to a university and speak, but I certainly wouldn't try to stop them.

null

"She's a horrible person..."

Apr 9, 2021, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: so does anyone know if this happened last night? ]

sounds like you're right there alongside her. You do realize whatever she's doing..you probably do the exact thing everyday. These political adversaries are all the same person. Is it not boring to you yet?

Sounds like the issue is really intentionally polarizing

Apr 9, 2021, 12:41 PM

Figures who have no real regard for truth or objectivity and gain clicks and popularity from division.

She is one of them. Among many others on the right and many on the left as well.

People who oppose people like her, give her exactly what she wants yes, however that does not mean that people who support her not part of the issue as well. Which you seem to have zero issue with the people getting big into division by supporting her.

Next, Clemson will try to have Gaetz as speaker...

Apr 9, 2021, 12:03 PM

Or College girls too old for him?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2021, 12:13 PM

I know there are things out there that actually do get "cancelled" for whatever reason. I think though that the vast majority of things like this get overblown.

What qualifies as people making an attempt to have an event cancelled? Is it one person writing an article or blog about it? Is it a few people complaining online, or a few dozen people signing a petition or protesting?

What I'm saying is, there's always been people who protest things, or wanted certain people to just go away. It's just that now we have social media and 24/7 news and people have platforms to make their displeasure known, and the 24/7 news is always looking for a story to push.

It's sort of like a person who used to be a fan of a television show, but hasn't liked the direction the show has been going in for the past couple seasons so they stop watching. Before the internet, nobody else would know, but with the internet that person is able to post on social media and fan pages about how they no longer watch the show, or how it now needs to be taken off the air because it's no longer entertaining.

Or how people on this very site take every opportunity possible to tell people how they no longer watch pro sports whenever other people are trying to have a conversation about pro sports.

Apr 9, 2021, 12:14 PM

It happened. My son is a sophomore at CU. He went. Said it was awesome. He was NOT one of the protesters.

Apr 9, 2021, 12:35 PM

Yes this happened last night ... there were a little over 1,000 people there and roughly 150 protesters. Clemson received 100 official complaints about the speech and the response was Clemson University supports free speech. I would venture to say MANY of you have labeled people both on the left and the right, but have never bothered to listen to the message from those you label. You have gotten your opinion from sound bites and whatever the new channel you watch has espoused. SO I will say, I support free speech from anyone, because it is their right, and would challenge you all to pick someone that you think is the radical fringe and listen to their message at least once. IF you still agree with the label feel free to share, but until you do, all you are doing is contributing to the non-yielding divisiveness that we are being engulfed with.

What IS scary is actually having a professor (Scott Henley at Clemson via email) tell students that they can not use conservative leaning news articles for references on an assignment for sustainability, because they are scientifically unreliable. They were directed to use CNN, the New York Times or the BBC. Having ANY professor limiting sources from either side is atrocious --- yet happens daily.

Apr 9, 2021, 12:36 PM

We let Jane Fonda come and booed her out of the amphitheater. Maybe this is an old liberal professor payback. Lol

So you “cancelled” her?

Apr 9, 2021, 12:42 PM

See this is nothing new lol

Back in “the day”

Apr 9, 2021, 1:00 PM

An attempt to have a chapter of the SDS at Clemson failed. We are Clemson, we are better than that.

Apr 9, 2021, 2:00 PM

Maybe they should lower the drinking age back to 18 If you can die fighting for your country you should be able to have a beer.Back in the late 70s,early 80s we could have cared less about politics,all we cared about was where and when was the next party and having fun.Then of course staying up all night preparing for a test or writing a term paper for the next day.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic