Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So if Shaka or Archie Miller at Indiana get let go...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

So if Shaka or Archie Miller at Indiana get let go...

Feb 9, 2020, 11:33 AM

after the season, I'm sorry Judge -- but we have to let Brad go and hire one of those two...

No doubt about it. Those two would bring instant credibility to Clemson basketball and they would both come and not be worried of the heavy expectations they had to deal with at both Texas and Indiana which is a lot of reason they are struggling. Too much pressure is why they are both are underachieving. We are losing money with Brad: almost $3 million a year with only a $425k buyout is just too stupid to keep him...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So if Shaka or Archie Miller at Indiana get let go...

Feb 9, 2020, 11:37 AM

Shaka will get 1 more year to prove himself.

Feb 9, 2020, 11:42 AM

Not so sure if they don't make the big Dance. Same with Archie Miller. Shaka comes back here he can bring back Havok press defense that he had at VCU which he learned from Oliver Purnell. Might even bring Oliver as is advisor assistant. It would be an instant credibility and interest fans. LJ would be full again. Also, probably keep both recruits if we hire one of these two. Young players know what they bring to the table.

Feb 9, 2020, 11:47 AM

He has some nice young talent at Texas and I was thinking they might give him 1 last year. I would love to have him though. Anyway, I think he and Brad both get 1 more year. Who knows though....

And I thought your original post was stupid, clearly I under

Feb 9, 2020, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: So if Shaka or Archie Miller at Indiana get let go... ]

estimated you, your reasoning is flat out retarded...Hire a guy who failed at a better job with more resources...Sure worked for Mouth Carolina...Hire Muschamp 2.0 and pray he brings OP with him...I wish I could make this up, I would be writing screenplays in Hollywood

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can't be serious.

Feb 9, 2020, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: So if Shaka or Archie Miller at Indiana get let go... ]

You're trolling, right?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Feb 9, 2020, 11:41 AM

Without 100% backing from the administration, top BB coaches won't come to Clemson, and if one does come, it will be for a paycheck until they find a better job with 100% administration backing!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2020, 11:44 AM

I think with DRad as our AD we would have that backing from the administration. He has been waiting till Brad's buyout was low enough to make the move. President Clements has gone on record he loves basketball. Really supported the West Virginia program hard when he was the AD there.

Over these past 10 years I would be absolutely fine with

Feb 9, 2020, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: So if Shaka or Archie Miller at Indiana get let go... ]

a coach that led us to success, NCAA berths, and then got hired away by a bigger program. We could have run through that cycle twice by now actually. Instead we seem to celebrate a stagnancy and mediocrity that attracts no outside suitors - yay for us.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they fail there, they will also fail at Clemson.

Feb 9, 2020, 12:03 PM

Recruiting is not a problem there. They’re just not very good coaches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If they fail there, they will also fail at Clemson.

Feb 9, 2020, 12:26 PM

Exactly the opposite.

We don't have enough basketball talent. That's why we get the inconsistent shooting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2020, 12:09 PM

Instant cred ?
That's a bold statement considering the history of our hoops and considering both of the candidates you're talking about may have gotten axed ahead of Clemson hiring him .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 9, 2020, 12:19 PM

I dont think anyone brings us instant credibility. Barnes was close. But we've been what we'e been for too long and our apathetic hoops fan base doesnt help.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why would you want someone (Shaka)

Feb 9, 2020, 12:23 PM

who has a worst record over the last 5 years in an easier conference?

Further, since Shaka has left, VCU has won 25 games 4/5 years since he left for Texas.

Good Lord, your best two options are people who get fired?

Feb 9, 2020, 1:30 PM

Can't make this #### up

Re: Good Lord, your best two options are people who get fired?

Feb 9, 2020, 1:39 PM

Some good coaches have been fired. Bob Huggins, Bobby Knight, and....

Can anyone name some others?

They both got fired for off the court issues, but nice try

Feb 9, 2020, 1:50 PM

anyway

Re: They both got fired for off the court issues, but nice try

Feb 9, 2020, 2:16 PM

How about Rick Barnes at Texas?

Re: Good Lord, your best two options are people who get fired?

Feb 9, 2020, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Good Lord, your best two options are people who get fired? ]

Thad Matta

Tommy Amaker, Tom Crean, Jeff Capel

Feb 9, 2020, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Good Lord, your best two options are people who get fired? ]

Johnny Dawkins, Steve Alford, Anthony Davis, Ben Howland, Greg McDermott, Jeff Jones, Rick Stansbury, just a few guys who have been previously fired

Re: Tommy Amaker, Tom Crean, Jeff Capel

Feb 9, 2020, 3:37 PM

Thank you.

Re: Tommy Amaker, Tom Crean, Jeff Capel

Feb 9, 2020, 10:33 PM

Amaker will not leave Harvard. He has been there for 14 years and loves the environment and the Ivy League. He has stated he wants to retire from Harvard. Amaker has coached the big time and is happy with $1 million on no scholarship pressure at Harvard

Crean is not leaving UGA to coach Clemson in the ACC. He makes 3.4 million which I don't see Clemson topping enough to make him leave. Plus if he leaves for another job he owes the signing bonus back to UGA at 4.5 million. Clemson would have to cover that also. Not going to happen.

Capel is not leaving Pitt except to go to Duke in a few years time.

All I listed were coaches who had been previously fired

Feb 9, 2020, 10:40 PM

not potential candidates. I believe the discussion is centered upon what of Smart or Miller are canned

Kind of sums it all up, doesn't it?***

Feb 9, 2020, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Good Lord, your best two options are people who get fired? ]

"Too much pressure is why they are both are underachieving. "

Feb 9, 2020, 1:47 PM

This statement confuses me. So Shaka and/or his team has performance anxiety?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Too much pressure is why they are both are underachieving. "

Feb 9, 2020, 2:05 PM

What do thwy think about playing an ACC basketball schedule and coaching at an also-ran basketball program like Clemson ?

Our coach probably needs a therapist on the end of our bench .

DB23

I'm not interested in coaches that weren't good enough

Feb 9, 2020, 2:21 PM

for someone else.

It isn't going to bring much credibility to Clemson basketball to fire our all-time winningest coach and replace him with someone who was fired by another program.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I'm not interested in coaches that weren't good enough

Feb 9, 2020, 2:28 PM

Who is a better coach in your opinion between Brad and Rick Barnes?

Feb 9, 2020, 2:36 PM

Brad couldn't recruit firemen to a fire. It pretty much begins and ends there

Rick Barnes.

Feb 9, 2020, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm not interested in coaches that weren't good enough ]

I'm not sure how that is relevant to the discussion though.

Re: Rick Barnes.

Feb 9, 2020, 3:39 PM

You dont think any coaches are credible that have been fired?

That’s a fair point.***

Feb 9, 2020, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm not interested in coaches that weren't good enough ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Feb 9, 2020, 4:26 PM [ in reply to I'm not interested in coaches that weren't good enough ]

We are not firing BB this year anyways so idk why people keep bringing it up. It would be nice imo but it ain't happening. Hopefully he gets us playing well again down the stretch.

Feb 9, 2020, 4:28 PM

I would say he definitely has 1 more year as well.

Feb 9, 2020, 5:56 PM [ in reply to I'm not interested in coaches that weren't good enough ]

Please stop saying that. He also is of our top coaches in losses as well. Your statement is invalid

Feb 9, 2020, 10:41 PM [ in reply to I'm not interested in coaches that weren't good enough ]

I think we only gain credibility if we start winning. If we fire BB after next year we will likely get another coach from a mid major school. I just hope it is a more offensive minded coach if so. It is great to have a good D but we need to be able to score imo. Maybe BB gets it going next year but if we are not in the tourney next year we should all admit that we need a change.

Feb 9, 2020, 4:41 PM

Clements, DRad and Dabo are all in with Brad. He’s not going anywhere. Go Tigers

Feb 9, 2020, 10:39 PM

Shaka has a poison pill in his contract.

If Texas fires him and he takes another D1 coaching job he forfeits a certain percentage of his buy out.

After this season Texas would owe him 9.6 to fire him. If he took another coaching job then he would 6.2 of the contract.

If he waits year then he would collect 6.4 in salary for 2020/2021 and would be guaranteed for Texas paychecks for 2021/2022 if he waits 14 months after he is fired to take a job.

In other words, sitting out next season is worth 6.4 million of Texas $$$$$ if Smart is fired at the end of the season.

Unless Texas and Smart negotiate another buy out.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic