Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should Morris have a Plan B for GT should Cole struggle
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Should Morris have a Plan B for GT should Cole struggle

Nov 7, 2014, 11:26 AM

or is that not necessary?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

umm... Watson is starting....

Nov 7, 2014, 11:28 AM

nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

link?***

Nov 7, 2014, 11:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: link?***

Nov 7, 2014, 1:28 PM

Dabo said in his press conference that Watson is the starter and will get the 1st team reps Monday.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i'll believe that when i see it.***

Nov 7, 2014, 11:32 AM [ in reply to umm... Watson is starting.... ]

b/c Dabo is always so spot on with injury updates***

Nov 7, 2014, 11:33 AM [ in reply to umm... Watson is starting.... ]

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Pound the rock. Gonna be tough if he can't go. Cole and OL

will have to play their best game of the entire season to win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pound the rock. Gonna be tough if he can't go. Cole and OL

Nov 7, 2014, 11:36 AM

No doubt. We lose if Watson does not play.

Apparently Plan B is to leave him in and let him struggle***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

With the open week, thought we would run some wildcat

Nov 7, 2014, 11:32 AM

so it would be ready at least by the SC game.

It does appear we will live our die by Cole. There is no plan B.

Unless Brent plans on playing Cole on the defense...

Nov 7, 2014, 11:32 AM

I wouldn't worry so much about the game.

BV is PJ's daddy!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The GT offense is as good as it's been in awhile. Too good

Nov 7, 2014, 11:37 AM

if our offense, like it has over the last 4 weeks, struggles mightily.

GT will score. They will use the clock. The pressure that our offense will feel given the reduced possessions from the GT offensive style will be far too much for our offense to handle.

So you think we'll lose?***

Nov 7, 2014, 12:01 PM

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

With Cole against GT in Atlanta?

Nov 7, 2014, 12:07 PM

I would say the odds are greater than 50% we lose that game.

Re: With Cole against GT in Atlanta?***

Nov 7, 2014, 12:11 PM

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Why would Cole struggling signaling in plays?

Nov 7, 2014, 11:35 AM

Is his shoulder THAT bad?

The same Plan B we use for FSU and SCAR *****

Nov 7, 2014, 11:58 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

WE DO WHAT WE DO . . . QUIT HATIN' !!!!

Nov 7, 2014, 12:08 PM

I am kidding, of course!

This is actually raises a very good point . . .

Nov 7, 2014, 12:14 PM

which is that a lack of skill players - or Watson in particular, isn't necessarily a cure-all. Remember that we've been losing to Carolina for years now with great skill talent.

If we can't run the ball with any authority, and we resort to a repetitive rotation of fruitless runs and screens or similar passes to the same part of the field, then we'll get scoped out and stopped repeatedly, or at least often enough to break up series so that we can't finish drives. Accumulating yards is meaningless if drives aren't finished. That's why we so often can look back and see stats that impress, but games that do not. That's what enables folks to come on here and say that in some sense we played "well," (we accumulated yards!), even though we couldn't finish drives or put teams away.

I think you see those "fruitless runs and screens or similar

Nov 7, 2014, 12:24 PM

passes" because our quarterback cannot consistently make routine open plays and our coaching staff has made a decision not to put him into situations where he can kill you with a turnover. We drive between the twenties but sooner or later he will make a drive killing mistake. He doesn't throw the deep ball well so we don't score explosively and he can't execute consistently on long drives.

A healthy Watson would crush the gamecocks, but our current offense will not be able to make enough plays to match the gamecock offense, similar to what we will face against GT.

I agree with that partially . . ..

Nov 7, 2014, 12:51 PM

It's undeniable that the dynamic you're talking about is there. But I don't think that's the entire story. First of all, Chad has a tendency, has always had a tendency, to use the uber-short game to set up the long pass. Nothing wrong with that to an extent, but it seems like we are always trying to lure folks - by way of a whole series of short, low-percentage plays, into EVENTUALLY getting the big play here or there - like Rob Spence 2.0 (but not quite as bad). This has been the case even in previous years, and even when we had Watson.

In other words, there isn't so much of an attempt to balance the short game with not only a long game but a *medium* game. So, since we don't want to make a mistake, we play it so close to the vest that we overthink ourselves right out of productivity in some stretches.

Another thing is that we can't expect a QB to play adequately in situations in which he's never given a shot at. Maybe currently it's just Cole's injury. But even before Watson's finger broke, we've typically had a tendency to hit the extremes - nothingburger short plays, or bombs. It's like there's little in between in many stretches - and it makes both of the other extremes less effective.

Plan B is unnecessary!

Nov 7, 2014, 1:27 PM

You realize we won every game since Watson went down right?
Stoudt isn't that good. Morris is calling his plays safe and to minimize the damage Stoudt can rain down upon us. I'm sick of hand offs up the middle and these quick WR screens but the are the best calls with Stoudt.
Morris is doing what he can with what we have.

Watson will start the rest of the season and the offense will roll.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic