Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Questions on JUCO's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 848

Questions on JUCO's

Nov 1, 2016, 11:21 AM

Why does Clemson never take them? Is it a Dabo policy or a school academic policy. Is the SEC the only major conference to fill up there ranks with them? Thanks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Questions on JUCO's

Nov 1, 2016, 11:22 AM

why should we? whats wrong with who we have now

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2016, 11:22 AM

All I had to do was watch that Netflix documentary to find the answer to this question...

Interesting question. This is just my opinion. For the

Nov 1, 2016, 11:25 AM

most part, JUCOS are a Band-Aid. You don't have the time to take them in, learn the system, feel them out, etc. Also, the JUCO kids either weren't good enough to get in a major college in the first place, or academically couldn't. Or, they were trouble at a big school then went down. And, someone who is very successful in a JUCO may not necessarily be as successful at the Major College level. That being said, there is probably a time and a place for them but I doubt they fit with our philosophy that much. The other interesting thing to me are the grad student transfers. Could you, in a year like next year, pick up someone who played at another school, but didn't win and wanted to come play for your school for a year and win a Championship. Someone who was a gifted QB or a linebacker, etc? An obvious issue is the complexity of playbooks and whether or not they could pick it up and play in time. The Grad transfers are interesting to me. Like NC State's QB. Came from nowhere and played well against us. Not sure if we crushed his soul or what.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting question. This is just my opinion. For the

Nov 1, 2016, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the info!

Lewisville takes a boat load of them too....

Nov 1, 2016, 11:27 AM

It will be interesting to see if Lewisville can sustain its level of success when they finally have to start fully complying with the ACC's more rigorous academic requirements.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I think it is school. Tennessee has a slew

Nov 1, 2016, 11:34 AM

plus Dabo not a big fan, but I think he would take one every now and then if allowed

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo has pushed for more academic curriculum that fit adding

Nov 1, 2016, 11:37 AM

JUCO recruits

We tried to get a kid in a few years ago but we couldn't fit him into any of the current programs and have him on the proper pace to graduation to be eligible for football.

I think Dabo would take them if he could but the current available curriculums do not allow for it.

Nov 1, 2016, 11:38 AM

Didn't Shaq Lawson go to JUCO?he's the only one i can think of.

Shaq was Hargrave which is a prep school not JUCO

Nov 1, 2016, 11:39 AM

The difference is Shaq still had 4 years of eligibility when he got to Clemson as prep schools do not count toward a year

Re: Shaq was Hargrave which is a prep school not JUCO

Nov 1, 2016, 11:40 AM

That's a good point I forgot about prep schools

Re: Shaq was Hargrave which is a prep school not JUCO

Nov 1, 2016, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Shaq was Hargrave which is a prep school not JUCO ]

THANKS MAN... I DIDNT KNOW THAT.. I THOUGHT THEY WERE THE SAME LOL

Nov 1, 2016, 12:59 PM

JUCO's are like B-rated bonds. You can occasionally hit big, but usually they bust. The stats say only about 1 in 3.5 JUCO players turns out for you. Most never start, and many never contribute.

They're either not good students or good citizens if they wound up in JUCO to begin with...and then they go to junior college for either one year or two and end up with usually 3 years to play 2...but if you're offering a JUCO kid, it usually means you have a gaping positional hole in your roster and you need the guy to contribute immediately. Usually like any other player, the JUCO needs time to adjust to the D1 level...but because of your need, he isn't going to get it. So this guy who has had usually slipshod coaching and even more slipshod physical development - weight training, diet, etc. - is thrown right into the fire before he's ready and expected to catch up. If it sounds like a recipe for failure it usually is. Oftentimes what you see is the kid is finally starting to look the part...right as he graduates. The last JUCO I can remember at Clemson is Cory Groover. He probably would have been a good player for us...if he'd had another year. He was finally starting to look like the 4-star guy he was rated as...the last 3-4 games of his senior year.

What makes this even more iffy is that these guys are usually not blazing balls of fire in terms of work ethic anyhow...which is how they got to JUCO to begin with.

The other problem with bringing in JUCO's is, they distort your roster balance. Carolina, for instance, likes to call itself a "young, rebuilding team", for instance, but if you look at their class distribution they're strangely heavy on upperclassmen for such a young, "rebuilding" squad, and a lot of those guys were JUCO's who haven't ever contributed for them...they've got probably 10 scholies or so that were absorbed by JUCO players and only 2-3 have ever really seen the field for them.

Nov 1, 2016, 1:38 PM

Awesome summary man

Replies: 13
| visibility 848
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic