Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On pulling starters early
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 3,820

On pulling starters early

Oct 8, 2017, 5:11 PM

So I've been an advocate of pulling the starters early. I prefer to be up at least 4 scores before doing so, but I really like seeing the younger guys, or non starters in general, getting some PT. I've always accredited this to Dabo wanting to get those guys experience and build the team as a whole. I still think that. However, a thought occurred to me today: what if Dabo's logic here is driven by the fact that he came from the position of a walk-on and therefore knows how much it means to the guys buried on the roster. Doesn't change that he is building the team as a whole but also being able to throw a bone to those guys that put in an equal amount of work but rarely see the benefits of the harvest. I still advocate this notion, after we are at least 4 scores up!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On pulling starters early

Oct 8, 2017, 5:29 PM

As most fans I would like to see off the board scores; however what Dabo is doing is working. I say let him drive the wagon and we just get in the back for the ride!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2017, 5:35 PM

You never know when you will find a diamond in the rough. A player may just need to get some composure on the big stage to shine. It doesn't hurt when a player goes down that the next man up has been there before, with quality time. Go Tiger's!

Oct 8, 2017, 5:57 PM

I absolutely love it!
1. Starter doesn't mean 'most plays'.
2. The playbook hasn't been placed under a rock.
3. More players experience minutes when they really matter.
4. More players feel 'game speed' earlier.
5. The subs are warmed up.
6. Personally, 44+ 'players' are better than 22 starters.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just think its smart in so many ways

Oct 8, 2017, 6:01 PM

Lets young guys play and get real game time experience. Doesnt get our starters injured for nothing. In the situations he did it, our D was so crushing that if the other team eroded the cushion, the starters could come back in and take control. We arent used to this because weve not had this dominant D in a long time.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Several thoughts:

Oct 8, 2017, 6:03 PM

With the defense we have, I think Dabo feels more comfortable putting others in when we are up by two touchdowns, whereas in the past, we might have waited until we were up by 27.

Like most of the coaches have said, you can watch them daily in practice but game film is the best evaluator.

Re: putting them in because Dabo was a walk-on, I go back to his quote about signing the Davis twins: “I love Jeff Davis, but I love my job more.”

Dabo knows what he is doing.

It's a shame that people need to be reminded that...

Oct 8, 2017, 7:04 PM

Dabo knows what he's doing.

When I do math by hand then check it with a calculator and get a different answer I'm smart enough to know that the error is mine whether I did my math wrong or plugged in the wrong numbers. Dabo is a proven calculator when it comes to this business.

Clemson fan would chit a brick if we knew how many offers Dabo has received in the last five or six years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2017, 6:08 PM

I will admit that I am one who has always wanted to see high scoring wins. But I am now realizing the importance of how someone (Coach Swinney) much more knowledgeable in regards to college football is managing the game/team. Some things I see as a plus by playing the number 3s and 4s at the expense of the score:
1) Injuries. My guess is KB was coming out after that last drive anyway. But look what happened, he gets hurt on the next to last play of that drive. For every play any player stays in there longer than needed there is the risk of injury. Example is FSU. That game was already over and they lost their only quarterback for the entire year at the very end of the game.
2) Motivation. I image most everyone saw the excitement displayed by the backup (#40 I think) who made the solo tackle on the last kick off and the rest of his teammates on the sideline. Don't get me wrong, this guy may be the most dedicated player during practice everyday, but I can guarantee you he will be giving 110% during practice this week after being given the opportunity to make that one play! Same can be said about the tight end who made his first touchdown catch.
3) Game Experience. There is no substitution for actual game time experience and film to teach from. In practice these guys repeatedly practice against players/tendencies they are familiar with. However, during a game they have to "think on their feet" and react in a totally different manner than the they do during the controlled environment of practice. This is why we have so much more depth than most other teams. Many coaches do not have this insight. Example Louisville. What are they going to do when goofball is no longer their quarterback. They have no one with experience behind him.
4) Recruitment. Why do you think we are getting so may top notch players at the same position. They know they will get to play at least some during their first and second year as they are learning the system.

Personally I would have liked to see ZC come in for 1 or 2 series in the first half and played with the 1's. Especially if we had scored early in the second quarter.

Oct 8, 2017, 6:28 PM

It's game experience that confirms one's level of performance and there is film to show the player both the good and the bad. Actual game experience is one of the best teachers available and Dabo is utilizing this factor to build current depth and a solid future. The media has dwelt on the fact we have lost so much talent each year to graduation but fail to realize Dabo has also been planning for the future by giving the younger players actual game experience. The National Championship game last January showed us Saban had failed to develop the depth he should have had in place.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he’s rotating guys so that there is less risk of imjury

Oct 8, 2017, 6:59 PM

game season with lots of potential wear on players.

Oct 8, 2017, 7:04 PM

Dabo recently gave an interview in which he described "Starter" for CLEMSON. We have lots and lots of starters, even though they might be on ST's.

As for being up 4 scores, I'm not sure at what point in the game would less than 4 scores ahead be okay to allow non-starters to enter the game?

For me - the way our D is playing, and the opponents are not scoring a lot, that indicates to me that it is very okay to sub some players. I have no problem being 2 scores ahead and in the first half, if our D is keeping them out of the EZ. If they have a high-powered O and scoring with ease, then the starters have to play longer. JMO

The youngsters have got to play because they will be

Oct 8, 2017, 7:05 PM

... our starters sooner than we'd like to think.

There is no substitute for actual game experience, even if it means giving up a little meaningless yardage and a few meaningless scores.

That's how they learn ... on the field in a real game ... not on the sidelines watching, or going through drills in practice.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 years ago, our starters were SPENT by the end of the year.

Oct 8, 2017, 7:18 PM

At least on defense anyway. Shaq,Dodd,Bouleware,etc. had played over 90% of the snaps as I remember. They had little in the tank at the end. I will settle for teams scoring in the 4th when the game is wrapped up to have full deck when the money games come about...

Replies: 12
| visibility 3,820
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic