Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SCHOOLS, ATHLETICS AND CHEATING....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

SCHOOLS, ATHLETICS AND CHEATING....

Apr 4, 2013, 7:27 PM

A lot of our younger, faithful TigerNet members were not alive, when we suffered the football probation some 30 years ago, and for those of us that were, I will relate: it was one of the most embarrassing and humiliating experiences I have endured as a Clemson alumnus. I believe many of our older grads and fans would agree.

I do care how other schools run their programs in addition to ours, because I believe all are sullied, when one or more is caught red-handed. The rash of investigations with resulting penalties over the past few years should be cause for alarm among all who enjoy athletics, for it has surely been an ominous trend.

My attitude toward Clemson is simple: if we can't run clean programs, then we should shut them down. We, as graduates and fans, should not and must not abide less than honor and integrity in the conduct of our Alma Mater's business, and our entire community must be completely aware of our commitment: honor and integrity.

Thankfully, it seems Clemson has risen above the fray; however, any and all persons involved in our programs, be they staff and/or supporters, must understand: there is no room at Clemson for those who refuse to abide by the rules. Keep it clean...or leave now!

I post this with another thought: I don't want our younger friends to ever suffer that which we older Clemson folks endured.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lived thru it and do not feel your pain.

Apr 4, 2013, 8:06 PM

However am having trouble forgetting tobacco road's part in the punishment.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fortunately, the years have helped assuage those

Apr 4, 2013, 8:13 PM

feelings; however, I agree: there remains, shall we say, extreme displeasure with those varmints.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The really "ironic" part of all our probation woes from

Apr 4, 2013, 8:37 PM [ in reply to Lived thru it and do not feel your pain. ]

that period of time when Charlie Pell came in (after being given a verbal blank check) and proceeded to try to even the recruiting competition we faced from a lot of surrounding schools---schools who were slinging wads of cash to prospective players and who also happened to belong to the SEC.....almost all of them suffered the NCAA's wrath on occasion too. Still, some of those same "perps" have continued down that path by growing smarter at what they are doing---and seemed to have adopted a mantra that the risk is more than worth the reward.

Clemson very obviously "bit the bullet" by setting compliance rules that were, in some cases, more stringent than NCAA minimums. It seems our athletic department has accepted an attitude that Clemson will accept poor seasons rather than risk the embarrassment of more NCAA probation---its policy that has angered a portion of our fan base who believe Clemson is recruiting with "one arm tied behind its back" by avoiding even the gray area.

Still, as one who lived through that entire era of NCAA and conference investigation and probation, I honestly believe I, too, prefer the "straight and narrow" at the risk of bringing in lesser talent

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SCHOOLS, ATHLETICS AND CHEATING....

Apr 4, 2013, 8:10 PM

Miami Hurricanes, Ohio State Buckeyes, Oregon Ducks, Auburn Tigers, North Carolina Tar Heels, Tennessee Volunteers, South Carolina Gamecocks, Alabama Crimson Tide, West Virginia Mountaineers, USC Trojans investigations over the past few years are a joke. The hammer was thrown at us in the 80's because there wasn't "Big" TV money involved. Sure, I want a truly clean program, but with what has happened over the last few years, you’re better off cheating. They were all given a slap on the wrist and told not to do that. Wasn’t it Lou Holtz who said, “If you’re not cheating you’re not trying.”, or was that Mark Grace? Again, I'm for doing it the right way, but look at the results other schools have had in the past few years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand your thinking; however, the age-old excuse

Apr 4, 2013, 8:18 PM

for wrongdoing, "They were doing it, too," usually proves to be unwise, while only serving to encourage other rule-breakers.

Apr 4, 2013, 10:10 PM

I also lived through it. We were turned in because we weren't one of the big boys. While you may not agree with it, most every other big time school was cheating as much as we were. We did win a National Championship which we still proudly talk about.

I think most of us felt it was a case of sour grapes

Apr 5, 2013, 6:18 AM

from outside sources; most, also, believed a large number of other schools skirted the rules. Yet, we were flagged and paid the penalty. Seems like a double standard, but if schools like Clemson are going to be on everyone's radar, then it may behoove us to toe the line...carefully, very carefully. I simply remain unconvinced that it takes cheating to win the gold, for eventually the cheating will be outed...and the gold, God forbid, will surely become tarnished.

Apr 4, 2013, 10:15 PM

I remember it well. I have a VERY crooked finger on my right hand from a coot saying one bad thing to many about our Tigers and Danny Ford back then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fortunately, the Gamecock folks I knew in Columbia

Apr 4, 2013, 11:09 PM

remained fairly reserved with few, if any, comments other than ackowledging their belief that a number of other schools were violating rules, also. I don't recall any lengthy discussions about the whole sordid affair other than with Clemson allies. I might add that few, if any, believed that our violations resulted in the NC.

Thank you!***

Apr 5, 2013, 12:25 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With Clemson's history with the ACC, and with

Apr 5, 2013, 7:15 AM

the comissioner that is currently in place, I can't believe anyone would even consider condoning cheating as an avenue toward the promised land!!

Good morning, Lespaw79....Especially those folks at

Apr 5, 2013, 7:38 AM

UNC, huh? Maybe, they think (or know) they have a special "in" with the Commish. Yet, we at Clemson have to remain above the fray while listening to all the hemming and hawing from the Tobacco Road area.

Lived through it in NC 80 miles

Apr 5, 2013, 9:26 AM

from chapel he!!
I still remember the multitude of
elite jerks who held their heads high
claiming unc was above such a scandal.

I was 12 years old when the probation began

Apr 5, 2013, 9:51 AM

but I remember it well. My father only took me to a couple of games each season back then, so I remember listening to most of the games on the radio during the TV ban. I never want to see Clemson in that position again.
This is one of the things that impresses me about Dabo. Since he has been at Clemson, recruiting has been consistently great, and I truly believe it is through hard work and an ability to connect with players. I think we are in for a lot of success with Dabo at the helm. He is a winner and one of the most underrated coaches in America.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic