Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1981 (2)Clemson- 10 (8)North Carolina- 8
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 2,087

On This Date: 1981 (2)Clemson- 10 (8)North Carolina- 8

Nov 7, 2016, 9:03 AM

In 1981, a second-ranked Clemson team—still playing for a possible national championship run—defeated the No. 8 Tar Heels in one of the greatest games in ACC history. The final score that day was 10-8.

Ironically, though, Clemson was coming off an 82-point performance against Wake Forest the week before traveling to Chapel Hill in 1981. Then Clemson head coach Danny Ford, however, knew Game 9 of the 1981 season would be the toughest one left on his schedule. He also knew it would be the one with the most distractions, too.

Clemson, 8-0, was ranked No. 2 by the Associated Press and No. 3 by United Press International (the Coaches Poll) coming into its November 7, 1981 clash at North Carolina. The Tar Heels were 7-1 and ranked No. 8 in both major polls.

“The North Carolina game did more for us winning the national championship than any other game,” said All-American linebacker Jeff Davis. “It was the ultimate test for us. We expected to win in Death Valley and we expected teams to already be behind when the whistle blew in Death Valley. But, to go into the backyard of a top 10-football team with everything at stake, and win, that did it for us.

https://youtu.be/LwIN-oH144s

“Remember, North Carolina had everything to play for. It’s right there for them. You can think there were people wondering ‘Can Clemson stay focused?’ And we beat them in a fight. It was an all-out brawl. May the best man win! It was man-on-man.”

The 1981 contest was the first time in the history of ACC football that two of its schools clashed in a battle of top 10 teams. With an ACC Championship and a major bowl bid at stake, it was dubbed the biggest game to ever be played in the state of North Carolina.

“(North Carolina) came to play,” said defensive end Jeff Bryant. “They were at home and they were a top 10 team. We both were striving for that goal which was to win the ACC and take it further from that.

“It was a very physical game. I can remember being sore for a couple of days after that.”

It was also Homecoming Weekend in Chapel Hill, and it was the last game at Kenan Stadium for UNC’s seniors – a class that had helped the Tar Heels win an ACC Championship the year before and beat traditional powers such as Texas and Oklahoma along the way.

To top things off there were bowl representatives from eight bowl games in attendance, more than any other game that afternoon across the country. Sports Illustrated had been at Clemson all week to chronicle the Tigers’ magical run and was in Chapel Hill on that afternoon as well.

ABC was broadcasting it as part of their regional coverage and carried the game throughout most of the country. All of America’s eyes seem to be placed on this small school from the foothills of South Carolina, and Ford knew he had to do something to turn his team’s focus to what was really important – beating the Tar Heels.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

was anyone in Chapel Hill that day?***

Nov 7, 2016, 9:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I was there as an early teenager with some tarhole friend's

Nov 7, 2016, 11:00 AM

family.

Great seats.

Bet my buddy in the car on the way there $20 that the Tigers would win.

Was the best $20 ever - thought I was rich !!!! AND had bragging rights.

An incredible game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Yo. I was there. Fantastic game.

Nov 7, 2016, 11:01 AM [ in reply to was anyone in Chapel Hill that day?*** ]

The butthurt on the tarhole fans was delightful to see.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: was anyone in Chapel Hill that day?***

Nov 7, 2016, 11:06 AM [ in reply to was anyone in Chapel Hill that day?*** ]

I was there...was lucky enough to go to all the games in 1981 very special year in Clemson football of course.

Re: was anyone in Chapel Hill that day?***

Nov 7, 2016, 2:25 PM [ in reply to was anyone in Chapel Hill that day?*** ]

I was there and it was a classic! Plus, we were lucky enough to be playing a team whose head coach's name sounded like a " sexually transmitted disease " D!ck Crum.......anybody remember him?

Re: On This Date: 1981 (2)Clemson- 10 (8)North Carolina- 8

Nov 7, 2016, 9:12 AM

I was at the game and saw Lawrence Taylor play for the first time. Great game brings back alot of memories.

My all time favorite Tiger Jeff Bryant

Nov 7, 2016, 9:14 AM

Saved the NC with the lateral recovery. Heads up play by #99 in a slobberknocker of a game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mine too. That was smart thinking by Jeff.***

Nov 7, 2016, 11:17 AM

Nov 7, 2016, 9:24 AM

I was there. Byrant saved the season. After that save by Bryant, my Father and I were pummeled with ice, cups, and bottles from the upper level bottles by the billy goats. Never will forget how badly we were treated that day.

Goatville/cheaterville is in Orange County. :)

On a another note, their coach, Dickk Crum, had the personality of cottage cheese.

wow, really? thought this was the "wine and cheese" crowd

Nov 7, 2016, 9:28 AM

more like Whine and dis-pleased amirite?

Best Is The Standard

Re: wow, really? thought this was the "wine and cheese" crowd

Nov 7, 2016, 9:35 AM

LOL

I remember a great bumper sticker from those days

Nov 7, 2016, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: On This Date: 1981 (2)Clemson- 10 (8)North Carolina- 8 ]

"I'd rather have jock itch than D--k Crum"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or another one like unto it...

Nov 7, 2016, 11:02 AM

"D--k Crum is a social disease"

Nov 7, 2016, 9:25 AM

I was 14 and my best friend was a UNC fan. We wanted to go and had tickets but his Dad a minister too had a funeral to do so we stayed in Anderson and watched it.

That defensive play at the end of the game in our end zone sealed the deal but wasn't for the week of heart.

I watched the game with his family all UNC grads/fans lol it was great to scream and jump up and down as they all hated on me lol. I rubbed it in good and heard all their what ifs and excuses and headed home quickly on my bike smiling all the way home.

I would have loved to have went to the game but his whole family would have really hated that ride home with this Clemson fan since birth.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Nov 7, 2016, 9:30 AM

remember it well. didnt have a vcr and it was replayed so we got up in the middle of the night to watch it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember it like it was

Nov 7, 2016, 9:47 AM

yesterday. Living in Mauldin back then.

Re: Remember it like it was

Nov 7, 2016, 2:27 PM

I was there and it was the looongest game ever! What a celebration when we won!

game of inches: UNCheat blocked a punt out the back

Nov 7, 2016, 11:24 AM

of the end zone for a safety -

thus 2 FG's and a safety = 8 points.

Had it stayed in the end zone it would likely have been recovered by them for a TD

and a possible win.

They also had their star TB, Kelvin Bryant, and QB, Rod Elkins, hurt.

But they had coughed up the bit to USuCk the week before and so they weren't unbeaten.

They had a great team - probably the best we faced that year

and that's including Nebraska.

We controlled the game against Nebraska.

The UNC game was back and forth all day...

+1 for the good guys.

good stuff***

Nov 7, 2016, 12:34 PM

Best Is The Standard

My wife and I were there that day and

Nov 7, 2016, 11:53 AM

sat in the unc student section (the year I joined IPTAY and could not get tickets in the Clemson section) My neighbor's son was a freshman there and gave us two tickets. We were the two in Orange in a sea of wimpy blue wine and cheese arses. We took the abuse from those entitled little brats but in the end it was Sweeeeet!

Had to sit right next to the unc student section at Kenan

Nov 7, 2016, 12:14 PM

that afternoon and heard all the stupid crap from those people I ever care to hear....but the walk back to the Rathskellar (downtown chapelhole) after the game was enjoyable---and ranged between chuckling and guffawing. The Tiger defense was extraordinary most of that afternoon.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! +1 for posting***

Nov 7, 2016, 12:58 PM

Nov 7, 2016, 4:07 PM

That was an awesome game that finally made other teams stand up and take notice of Clemson and that this was a very talented team and well coached.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 2,087
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic