Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Religion/Spiritual
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 840

Religion/Spiritual

Mar 19, 2021, 11:45 PM

I know arguing/debating/shi t talking is a sport for P&R, but take a break for a second. Is there a place you go to make you feel more connected to God or for those that do not believe in God, is there a place you go to feel connected in a spiritual way? For me it is Table Rock - for many reasons. It's part of Sakanagah, a place of a portion of my ancient heritage. It's where I asked my wife to marry me. I keep going back. It's my pilgrimage. Does anyone else have a pilgrimage or a place they go to feel connected?

Sp
Message was edited by: p6fuller®

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Religion/Spiritual

Mar 20, 2021, 12:22 AM

p6

I don't believe in a god, but I do believe in nature. The whole Chattooga River is rejuvenating for me, but there is one rapid called Raven Chute. The rapid itself is beautiful, but you can also look back upriver for half a mile. To realize that all of that water has been powerfully pouring over those same rocks for millions of years - it just helps me feel connected and puts things in their proper perspective.

Camping on a quiet beach has a similar effect.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2021, 12:33 AM

Can't argue the power of a good river. I almost died at Hungry Mother on the Upper Gauley. Once my internal oxygen was gone, I thought I was going to die. At that moment I felt great peace. Thanks for sharing your place Tobias.

Mar 20, 2021, 1:47 PM

p6

I guided raft trips on the Chattooga - and on the Gauley for a number of years. They are both incredible, but the Chattooga is just special - and close by. Anyone in the Clemson area who has not been to the Chattooga is really missing something.

Sorry to hear about you experience at Hungry. The Gauley is big - and tough sometimes.

Mar 20, 2021, 3:59 PM

Oddly enough, it ended up being a great experience. They finally pulled me out of the mouth of hungry mother. I haven't been on the Chattooga. I'll check it out

Mar 20, 2021, 1:04 AM

Mar 20, 2021, 1:13 AM

Jocassee is a great place. Definitely feel the power there too. Also part of Sakanagah. Ocean always directs me to the temple too.

Mar 20, 2021, 7:40 AM

Good thread. I actually have many places that bring Romans 1:20 very much alive to me. One of my favorite things to do is camp at Mt Mitchell and and about midnight hike (sneak) up to the lookout tower alone. Standing at 6683 feet , entirely alone with nothing but stars and the chilly breeze is just incredible.

Mar 20, 2021, 7:57 AM

All of those are awesome.

Fishing and rafting in chattooga, taking the boat to jocassee and lake keowee, mt. biking in pisgah, hiking anywhere.

I spent my teens and early twenties in the mountains and just thought it was normal. It’s not. It’s a special place, and I can’t wait to return there to retire.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2021, 8:06 AM

Speaking of Jocassee, have you ever driven up Horse Pasture Rd to take in the Jocassee view from “ jumping off rock?” I challenge anyone to find a prettier view in the entire country.

Mar 20, 2021, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Religion/Spiritual ]

Grew up in the general Blue Ridge mountain area (foothills), and of course went to the school of its yawned greatness. I always knew it was a good place. Since then I have moved (life/work happens) and have had the good fortune to be able to travel for leisure. It's made me realize how special Southern Appalachia is.

Mar 20, 2021, 8:18 AM

There is no particular place I go, but when I am in nature at various times in certain situations I feel some of what you are mentioning. The right day, the right place in nature, without crowds, works sometimes.

Right there with you ... almost.

Mar 20, 2021, 8:34 AM

For me it's Pretty Place. Alone, with birds chirping, all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJULQ29_SYY

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Right there with you ... almost.

Mar 20, 2021, 8:53 AM

That looks awesome.

Re: Right there with you ... almost.

Mar 20, 2021, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Right there with you ... almost. ]

Great video smiling tiger. Stand at that incredible place and meditate on Romans 1:20. We camp at Jones Gap below pretty place a lot. How blessed are we to live in this beautiful place?

The Hill.***

Mar 20, 2021, 11:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Hill.***

Mar 20, 2021, 12:00 PM

No doubt. The real Death Valley for sure

Mar 20, 2021, 12:06 PM

Cruising in a center console around creeks in the Lowcountry, wind in your face, sun beaming down. Frosty cold bud latte. Of course has to be before midday what with the daily PM thunderstorms in the summer. That’s about as close to heaven on earth as you can get.

Mar 20, 2021, 4:28 PM

What is it with Buds and boats; they just go together

Mar 20, 2021, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Religion/Spiritual ]

I grew up in western NC and have now lived 33 years in the Upstate. When I was younger I thought everything east of Columbia was butt ugly country. I’ve changed. I really learned to appreciate the beauty of the Lowcountry.

Mar 21, 2021, 9:33 AM

Any beach. Something about looking out at the vastness and realizing the in and out of the waves has been the same for millions of years. It's overwhelming.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 840
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic