Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What happens if Derek Chauvin is found not guilty?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

What happens if Derek Chauvin is found not guilty?

Mar 18, 2021, 10:31 AM

Just my opinion but I do believe there is some doubts as to murder.. the autopsy report as well as Floyd already complaining of not being able to breath long before Chauvin put his knee on Floyd's neck..

Although, I'm hoping for a guilty verdict, I also appreciate "beyond reasonable doubt."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/03/17/george-floyd-death-derek-chauvin-trial-column/4706010001/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would guess mostly peaceful protests

Mar 18, 2021, 10:37 AM

Would return ...

Probably with some mostly peacefully burned police cars and buildings

Unless of course Joe can unify us before then

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What happens if Derek Chauvin is found not guilty?

Mar 18, 2021, 10:39 AM

There will be riots. He will be found guilty of something though. He is toast.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here is where I stand

Mar 18, 2021, 10:51 AM

He had a massive amount of Fentanyl in his system. Enough to kill him on its own.

Over zealous cop gets him on the ground. Should have never had his knee on his neck, like never. But continued after he says he cannot breathe.

Did the cop go into this or have the intent to kill this man? No way and you will never convince me of that notion. Is the cop an idiot, yes. Is there shared responsibility, yes.

Should be manslaughter and he should do a couple of years, tons of community service and can never be a cop again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here is where I stand

Mar 18, 2021, 11:06 AM

I wonder if the prosecution or the jury can opt for a lesser offense - manslaughter, like you said - or something else. I think the sentence should be longer, but if he is acquitted, things could get ugly.

Re: Here is where I stand

Mar 18, 2021, 11:08 AM

It's in there that they added 3rd degree as a compromise. Don't know how it works there but apparently they couldn't do murder AND manslaughter, one or the other.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It will be pointed out that in Minneapolis, the knee to the

Mar 18, 2021, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Here is where I stand ]

neck is often used and was in their manual as way to subdue someone.

On the flipside - Minnesota law states that contributing to someone's death is as bad as killing them outright.

In 2019 - he walks easily.

In 2021 - he get's 3rd degree murder with a middle-of-the-road sentence. And Minneapolis gets rioted upon again by peaceful protesters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It will be pointed out that in Minneapolis, the knee to the

Mar 18, 2021, 11:47 AM

Fortunately that latest judge had the foresight to inject that 3rd-degree murder charge back in there, because I agree, I do not think they're going to get him for 2nd-degree. Too many extenuating circumstances for that.

I think that judge saw the writing on the wall and said: hey, if we don't get that in there, he walks, and they're going to see the smoke all the way over there in England...so let's make sure we get some charges we can convict on.

Mar 18, 2021, 10:53 AM

These high profile cases always get overcharged. I wish I had a better solution, but obviously this is the reality of what happens when it's elected officials making that decision.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just a few more peaceful business burnings - you know, the usual

Mar 18, 2021, 11:08 AM

But yes - if he's found not guilty - it's a given the case against the other 3 will collapse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2021, 11:22 AM

Whoo, doggy.

I think it would likely make the Rodney King thing look like a square dance. I really do not want to see what that looks like.

Hopefully Chauvin will be found guilty of enough that Minneapolis (and probably any other big cities with agitated populations, which is a lot of 'em, at the moment) do not go ape, because America has been through enough these last couple of years what with COVID and riots and, well, general Trumpiness.

We could all use a break for a minute from the crazy, here. These have been a bad last couple of years.

Riots

Mar 18, 2021, 11:33 AM

therefore convict regardless of the evidence

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you serious with that comment?***

Mar 18, 2021, 12:19 PM

null

no but there is zero chance a

Mar 18, 2021, 12:43 PM

1st degree murder sticks and the goons will riot if he is not convicted of 1st degree murder

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1st degree is not even on the table (is it?).***

Mar 18, 2021, 1:28 PM

Re: 1st degree is not even on the table (is it?).***

Mar 18, 2021, 2:50 PM

I think 2nd is the highest they're charging him with

Regardless, I think his point stands that anything but the

Mar 18, 2021, 3:18 PM

most he has been charged with would probably be spun up into a "he got off light" story and...well...I would have my plywood ready if I owned a retail store.

null

I would hate to see any verdict or sentence influenced by

Mar 18, 2021, 11:44 AM

"what might happen". That was not your question, but some answers are on that basis. Let's take blind Lady Justice out of the courtroom if we're going to think that way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would hate to see any verdict or sentence influenced by

Mar 18, 2021, 11:53 AM

Agreed

As I read the third degree murder charge...

Mar 18, 2021, 11:59 AM [ in reply to I would hate to see any verdict or sentence influenced by ]

that sounds most likely to me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would hate to see any verdict or sentence influenced by

Mar 18, 2021, 12:37 PM [ in reply to I would hate to see any verdict or sentence influenced by ]

Correct. We can never go down that road. Can not hand out verdicts based on fear of what some thugs will do.

Rioting, burning, looting, lawbreaking, all

Mar 18, 2021, 11:59 AM

ignored, minimized, or justified by media and liberals, just like before.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Rioting, burning, looting, lawbreaking, all

Mar 18, 2021, 12:29 PM

And on the other side, you're going to see Fox News, OAN, and NewsMax frothing at the mouth about how all of this was completely the liberals' fault. Antifa. BLM. Cancel Culture. Moral Decay. On the other hand, CNN, MSNBC, pontificating in somber tones about "America's racial reckoning"...Gawds.

And, as ever, nobody involved will actually hear a single word the other actually has to say, and those of us in the middle are going to get increasingly irritated. And in the meantime, you know. Arson. Looting. Riots. Good times.

I'm tired just thinking about it already. For whatever reason everybody's idea of "Make America Great" is "Turn America into the Ghaza Strip".

Great idea, everybody.

Can we just, you know, not?

Re: Rioting, burning, looting, lawbreaking, all

Mar 18, 2021, 2:28 PM

I'm certainly no legal expert, but reading the Minnesota Statute on Murder In The Third Degree, I suspect Chauvin will be found guilty.The maximal penalty is 25 years in jail for this. I wouldn't want to be Chauvin in jail. He'll have to be isolated from the general prison population or he will be essentially given the death penalty. It only takes one juror to have a view of reasonable doubt regarding the level of Fentanyl and preexisting medical conditions in George Floyd to hold Chauvin not guilty, but it would take a brave juror or jurors to reach that conclusion.

I don't think a conviction is a slam dunk by any means and if Chauvin is found not guilty, many cities in America will burn. Despite that, they should do their duty and listen to all the evidence.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm all for not rioting, burning, looting, and lawbreaking.***

Mar 18, 2021, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Rioting, burning, looting, lawbreaking, all ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Mar 18, 2021, 5:26 PM

I am hoping there is a calm and complete review of the evidence. Tell the jury the evidence, tell them the law, and let it roll from there.

I want the system to work. What happens after is what it is...

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic