Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Doug Kingsmore Becoming a Bandbox?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Doug Kingsmore Becoming a Bandbox?

Sep 26, 2012, 11:37 PM

There are stakes all around the outfield fence from the center field end of the Chapman Grandstands all the way to the right field line. Apparently, along with leveling the field, Clemson is planning on moving the fence IN approximately 10 feet. This is a horrible idea. Another fan was at practice yesterday and complained to me that Clemson hadn't adjusted the field in response to the change in the bats a couple of years ago. So what? When that field was first built in 1970, the fences were even deeper than they are now and hitters used WOOD bats. I have no desire to watch teams score touchdown at Doug Kingsmore. Baseball is supposed to be low-scoring, that's why runs aren't assigned point values. There's nothing wrong with 6-4 and 5-3 baseball games. Games that wind up 14-10 aren't very attractive because there's too much scoring and they last too long. Plus, everything built around the outfield was designed with the fence where it is. Are they going to move the Cajun Cafe, the Cheap Seats bus, and the other stands in to keep them right behind the new fence or is there going to be a 10 foot gap between them? That'll make it rather difficult for the players to celebrate with the fans on the bus. Before they do that, they should FINISH the plans they already have. I have no problem with leveling the field (much like they took the crown out of Death Valley a few years ago), which will begin after the 2013 season, but the rest is wasteful.

Brad Chalk and Stephen Faris are the Student Assistant coaches for the 2013 season. Scott Weismann is helping out for the fall, much like Chris Epps did last year.

Steve Wilkerson was walking around with a cast on his leg today, but I don't know what the problem is.

Yesterday, I asked Garrett Boulware if his brother is also a catcher and he said yes, but that he likely won't play baseball at Clemson, contrary to previous reports. Apparently, Ben is much more of a football guy. I guess we'll see, although I trust Garrett on this one.

One hitter that could make an impact in 2013 is Joe Costigan. He's been hitting really well so far and made a beautiful diving catch in left field yesterday. From what I've seen, the pitching has been pretty good so far. Granted, it's September and we have a long way to go before February 15. The only home run I've seen hit in a scrimmage was by Garrett Boulware today when he banged the ball off the railing at the top of the portal in the Chapman Grandstands. However, they were using a pitching machine and not a real pitcher, so take that however you want.

The Orange and Purple scrimmages are October 26-28, which is not a football weekend.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the fence should have already been moved in. If

Sep 26, 2012, 11:51 PM

we are not going to recruit power hitters then we need to adjust. Two and
three run hrs. sure do come in handy. They, certainly, would have helped the last couple of years.

What a shock...

Sep 26, 2012, 11:58 PM

you disagree with me. Why am I NOT surprised? Another problem with a small park is that it encourages players that AREN'T power hitters to try to be power hitters and swing for the fences. If the winning run is on second base, you have a much better chance of scoring that run with a single or a double than you do relying on a home run to do it. Even with nearly 300 at bats in 2002, Khalil Greene only hit 27 homers, so your chances of hitting it out are not very good. Clemson has NEVER relied on home runs, it's always been about pitching, defense, and timely hitting. You know, fundamentals. Maybe you don't know. Anyway, most professional parks are about the same size that Doug Kingsmore is now, moving the fence in makes hitters' stats less useful for professional scouts. Making Doug Kingsmore a "hitter's park" is a horrible idea.

Re:Son, we have not had more than 4 players that could

Sep 27, 2012, 12:02 AM

have come close to Green since he left. Get in the real world.

Don't call me "son"...

Sep 27, 2012, 12:07 AM

you aren't my parent. Secondly, my point was, and obviously you missed it, that as great a hitter as Khalil Greene was at Clemson, and in nearly 300 at bats (285 to be exact), he only hit 27 home runs. Twenty seven out of 285 is less than one in ten. Not a very good ratio. And he was an exceptional hitter. In the "real world", you have a much better chance of scoring a run by hitting a single or double than you do a homer. Maybe you don't understand basic statistics.

Re:Bud, I defer to your superior intelligence since you

Sep 27, 2012, 12:26 AM

wrote the book on baseball.

Tell me where I'm wrong...

Sep 27, 2012, 12:37 AM

please point out the factual inaccuracies in what I wrote.

Re: Forget it dude, you are not worth the time.***

Sep 27, 2012, 12:40 AM

So then, I'm NOT wrong...

Sep 27, 2012, 1:18 AM

but you won't admit it. I never claimed to have "written the book on baseball", but I do know that you have a better chance of scoring runs by hitting singles and doubles than you do home runs. That's basic probability.

Look at me

Sep 27, 2012, 8:55 AM

.....being serious

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well ok

Sep 27, 2012, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Tell me where I'm wrong... ]

"In the "real world", you have a much better chance of scoring a run by hitting a single or double than you do a homer. Maybe you don't understand basic statistics."

With a home run you score a run 100% of the time.

Re: Don't call me "son"...

Sep 27, 2012, 6:13 AM [ in reply to Don't call me "son"... ]

I would say 27 Hrs. in 285 AB is a pretty good number. if you take the AL leading AB, (Jeter), who has 651 AB right now, he would have 58.59 Hrs, with 7 games left.

Hell last season, Brandon Miller lead the NCAA in hrs. He hit 23 in 246 AB. That's a hr every 10.70 AB. Greene's stats in the year you mentioned, a HR in every 10.56 AB.

Here's how exceptional a HR every 10.xx AB is: http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Top_20_All_Time_HR_Leaders_and_Statistics

I don't like the fences being moved in either, but you make no sense. If there is anyone who doesn't understand statistics it's you.

I think you further validated his point...

Sep 27, 2012, 8:09 AM

Baseballfan was making the point that even though Greene's HR numbers were absolutely exceptional - the likes of which we haven't seen sense and probably won't see again - he still would have better odds trying to win a game with a single or double than with a HR.

Re: I think you further validated his point...

Sep 27, 2012, 12:35 PM

No, his point was 27 hrs out of 285 ABs is not a very good ratio. I am saying historically, that is an AMAZING ratio.

Reading comprehension requires that you read the entire

Sep 28, 2012, 1:20 PM

post about which you are replying. Sure, he said that Khalil's HR to at bats ratio was "not a very good ratio." But he was comparing that to his hits to at bats ratio. In that case 27/285 = 9.5% and his batting average was over 400 which equals 40%. 40% >> 9.5%. Therefore, as his entire post was saying, the odds of hitting a homerun and thus getting a game winning run based off of a homerun is less than the odds of winning the game with RISP and hitting a single or double.

Khalil's HR/AB ratio is higher than all of those

Sep 27, 2012, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't call me "son"... ]

still not a good one

did I actually just read this?!?!

Sep 27, 2012, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Don't call me "son"... ]

"you have a much better chance of scoring a run by hitting a single or double than you do a homer"

No comment.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's some fuzzy math right there.***

Sep 27, 2012, 8:59 AM

Chances of scoring a run when hitting a homer: 100%

Sep 27, 2012, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Don't call me "son"... ]

Chances of scoring a run when hitting a single or double: a little less than 100%, I think.

Frances scok

Sep 27, 2012, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Don't call me "son"... ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't call me "son"...

Sep 27, 2012, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Don't call me "son"... ]

did you just say one home run in ten at-bats is not a good ratio?

That also helps the opposing team. Its a wash either way.***

Sep 27, 2012, 7:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I think the fence should have already been moved in. If ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the fence should have already been moved in. If

Sep 27, 2012, 7:48 AM [ in reply to Re: I think the fence should have already been moved in. If ]

So you move the fence in to make it easier for power hitter from the other team????????????

Boy what a great idea, So Clemson is going to do away with the hill in the out field. BAD idea

I maybe done with Jack now

I would think that if you weren't recruiting power hitters,

Sep 28, 2012, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: I think the fence should have already been moved in. If ]

you would want to move the fence BACK, so the other team couldn't hit it out either...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Doug Kingsmore Becoming a Bandbox?

Sep 27, 2012, 6:36 AM

Just because they're moving the fences in doesn't mean that everybody is just gonna go up hacking every time. Yes a player is gonna know has a good chance of knocking it out, but that doesn't mean he's gonna always try. If a small field meant everyone was going for a homerun each time what pitcher wouldn't wanna pitch there?

so no more hill slope going up to the fence in outfield?***

Sep 27, 2012, 7:36 AM

I hope not. That is one of the things that make BTF @ DKS

Sep 27, 2012, 9:33 AM

unique.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Is this a definite change?

Sep 27, 2012, 8:13 AM

If it is, why hasn't there been a press release? What hasn't the athletic department talked about it? I would definitely be apposed to changing the field. The sloping "warning track" is part of what makes BTF unique and beautiful. The size is what makes it a great place to play baseball. If the fence was moved in, we even the playing field with smaller less consistent teams. The harder it is for HRs the more the game depends on pitching and fundamentals - something Clemson OUGHT to excel at.

Sep 27, 2012, 8:49 AM

I really hope the fences will not be moved in. I'd hate to see Doug Kingsmore turned into just another LL bandbox. Maybe they've decided to put a warning track in. That could account for the stakes.

If that is, in fact, what is happening, they may just be

Sep 27, 2012, 8:56 AM

making the park more symmetrical. Currently the dimensions are 320 lf 370lcf 400 cf 375 rcf and 330 rf. If they brought rf in to 320 and rcf in to 370 that would benefit left handed hitters (which we usually have a lot of) a little bit. 320 down the lines and 370 in the alleys is not exactly a "bandbox" especially the way the wind almost always blows in at DKS.

Sep 27, 2012, 9:07 AM

I believe Wilkerson hurt his knee at the Cape and had to have surgery.

Costigan's role will probably be the same as last year, PH and DH. He can hit a little. Just not great defensively. You'll probably see Brittle, Slaton, Cox and Duggar as the primary outfielders.

> Steve Wilkerson was walking around with a cast on his
> leg today, but I don't know what the problem is.

> One hitter that could make an impact in 2013 is Joe
> Costigan. He's been hitting really well so far and
> made a beautiful diving catch in left field
> yesterday.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic