Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WW2 Facts & Figures
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 4,287

WW2 Facts & Figures

Mar 25, 2018, 2:00 PM

Realizing the number of WW2 vets still living is decreasing day by day, I began searching for some facts and figures. The latest info I could find was from 2017 but it did not show if the numbers were from early 2017 or late 2017. But here are the facts that I was able to retrieve.

16,112,566 Members of Armed Forces
291,557 Battle Deaths
113,842 Other Deaths During Service
670,846 Non Mortal W0undings
588,000 Estimate of Those Still Living (That's just a tad over 3%)

Of that number still living, I would estimate at least one-half have some severe physical or mental problem. Falls probably account for a large potion of the physical problems. Ben Skardon is remarkable because he has reached 100 in spite of the hardships, both mental and physical he suffered as a POW.

There may have been a few who lied about their age and enlisted when they were 16 but the vast majority would have been 18 or older at the time the war was over in 1945. so, the majority of those still living should be in their 90's. I have not seen the latest figures on the average number of deaths per day for WW2 vets but, I would estimate the number still surviving two years from now should be about 200,000. I hope to be one of those still surviving and still able to pester you guys and gals with my nonsense.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WW2 Facts & Figures

Mar 25, 2018, 2:10 PM

I pray you’re still pestering all for years to come.

I sure do miss my Dad!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2018, 2:50 PM

The tombstone of my Uncle Guy Simpson shows that he served in both the Army and Navy in WW2...Never knew that while he was living and i do wonder what the circumstances were...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2018, 3:37 PM

You may be able to find some info through the National WWII Museum (a very worthwhile part of our New Years New Orleans trip)

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/research-veteran

Mar 26, 2018, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Re: WW2 Facts & Figures ]

Is it possible that your Uncle Simpson was in the military before and/or after WWII as well? Veteran tombstones usually have name, rank, service branch(es), war, etc. Some people switch military branches when their obligation is up and I served with quite a few that had switched branches. There’s even a few people that served in three branches.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always enjoy your posts, Joe....is there a legitimate

Mar 25, 2018, 3:42 PM

estimate of the number of civilian deaths during WWII??

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too Joe! Here's to your good health!***

Mar 25, 2018, 3:56 PM

I would like to know the total death combined in humans..

Mar 25, 2018, 4:00 PM

on both sides, military combined with civilians from all countries combined. I wonder how many animals died too.

Use the link TigerKat84 provided

Mar 25, 2018, 4:19 PM

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/students-teachers/student-resources/research-starters/research-starters-worldwide-deaths-world-war

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow

Mar 26, 2018, 12:20 PM

20,000,000 civilian deaths in China and 24,000,000 in USSR. Absolutely staggering.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So nuts.*****

Mar 26, 2018, 12:42 PM

Never fathomed that many people died. Always new Russia

Mar 26, 2018, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Use the link TigerKat84 provided ]

lost millions, but I didnt fathom the amount. China’s amount is staggering as well

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am pretty sure the Gdramns lost 20 Million and the

Mar 26, 2018, 12:39 PM [ in reply to I would like to know the total death combined in humans.. ]

Russians 40 million. One reason we waited so long to jump in was so the Russians and Germans would kill off each other. Herman Wouk wrote two very good novels on the war,"War and Remembrance", and "The Winds of War". They should be required reading for high school students now days, since history is no longer taught in public schools.

And I know y'all are shocked that Ole Spud has read anything

Mar 26, 2018, 12:39 PM

besides Tigernet.

Love Wouk's books ... still alive and writing at 101***

Mar 26, 2018, 3:32 PM [ in reply to I am pretty sure the Gdramns lost 20 Million and the ]

He also wrote two excellent books about the Arab-Israeli conflict called "The Hope" and "The Glory"

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2018, 12:28 PM

Thank you Joe, for this information and for your service! Please know that many, like me, still swell with prideful and thankful emotion for the men and women who serve and have served our beautiful Red, White & Blue!

Mar 26, 2018, 12:35 PM

Searching for WW2 records and possibly records for those who served in WW1 may be difficult for some because a fire in the records office in St. Louis, MO, many years ago destroyed many records. Mine and my wife's records (she was a WAVE during WW2) were among those destroyed. We were able to reconstruct some of our info re our discharge papers. It took a long time before we were able to obtain our medals.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had to look it up.

Mar 26, 2018, 12:47 PM

The United States Naval Reserve (Women's Reserve), better known as the WAVES for the Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service, was the World War II women's branch of the United States Naval Reserve

My father had to get his mom to sign for him because he was

Mar 26, 2018, 12:47 PM

only 17 when he volunteered, and that was in 1944. He died at almost 90 and a few years ago.

Hard to believe there's even that many still alive today.

Thanks for your service, Joe.***

Mar 26, 2018, 3:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Mar 26, 2018, 5:21 PM

Thank you for your service. My Dad graduated from Clemson in 1940. He was an Armor officer in WW2 and retired as a Colonel in 1968.

My dad flew a B-17G he passed away last December

Mar 26, 2018, 5:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2018, 8:28 PM

Count my father in law in that 3%!!

I hope you are here as well

Mar 26, 2018, 10:33 PM

Your wisdom and stories are inspirational! You seem to be the type of man that I could sit and listen talk for hours without me saying a word.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 4,287
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic