Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Would Tempo Help after 1st First Down?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Would Tempo Help after 1st First Down?

Dec 15, 2020, 7:14 PM

I was just looking at the thread about Clemson inside zone. All the talk about the 2020 OL not being very good had me wondering if we need to use more tempo? Like: Wake, Syracuse Tempo!
Tempo is the football equivalent to a basketball team that doesn't have good post players "shooting 3 pointers"! You get two - I can't stop you - but I get three if/when I make it because you are too big and slow to stop me.

In football, if your OL isn't over powering tempo is one of the ways you can offset a more dominant front. Create confusion on gap assignments. A tired big guy who has to adjust to where the play is going; opposed to the offense that knows uses more energy! Eventually the philosophy is - we can gas them out! I don't know what kind of depth ND has on their DL - but anything we can do to neutralize what I think is an advantage for them would help. Or would it? Asking all my fellow X and O posters to chime in. Not so much for the season mind you regarding using tempo - but specifically for the ND game! Would tempo be something you think could help our young OL? Would it do more bad than good - as OL get tired too, right! Tempo can be bad, "if you aren't getting 1st downs"! I think we can expect a relatively safe pass on 1st down; that gains some positive yards - then tempo on what will be a 2nd down run play(quickly to the line and not always up the middle b/c they would catch on to that).

Strictly for football heads. I am not trying to "get this to Dabo" or think I can coach offense or nothing like that. Just a message board question for football heads!

Thanks!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would Tempo Help after 1st First Down?

Dec 15, 2020, 7:39 PM

I think some sort of tempo change could help at some point. (ie coach Chad Morris). I saw in some of our games this year during the 2 minute drill, the O was clicking along pretty well. No thought, just go!!! Tempo is a definite game changer, if you’re not predictable (ie coach Chad Morris) then you get behind the chains and it’s easy for the defense to sit back on a pass happy offense. Just FYI, no a coach Morris fan.

I’m not a football head by no means... just an observation for this year’s O.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 8:30 PM

Coach Morris - I liked his offensive philosophy generally speaking! I didn't like that he often, "didn't have a back up plan"! No adjustments in the event the opponent can stop you.

I think you will see some tempo "at times" Saturday. Not all game long; but in certain situations if we catch ND with a certain personnel group on the field.

We lit them up with the pass; but should have as they sold out to stop Travis! Which is exactly how I would play us! QB's can be off target, RB's might not pass pro well, WR's might drop it or slip on routes, my DE or blitzing LB might get home, my DB might get a PBU or an INT, etc. But, if you let 9 loose in your secondary - "it's instant death"! Rather, make all those things listed above have to go right rather than having Etienne beat me!

That said, "we need Travis as much as we need Trevor to play big in this game"! I don't see any reason after Trask had the bad game versus LSU and a loss why Trevor can't win a Heisman(not that that is his goal) but a huge game in this one(I promise you the most anticipated game of the weekend and it isn't even close Nationally)! Big time players for the Tigers will have to make big time plays! If so, Tigers win! Tigers win! Tigers win!

Dec 15, 2020, 8:42 PM

I think tempo is a great idea, especially with TL back. As previously stated our two minute offense has looked really good in earlier games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 8:57 PM

TigerJS® said:

I think tempo is a great idea, especially with TL back. As previously stated our two minute offense has looked really good in earlier games.

This being game 11 - I kind of wish we went to a more up tempo offense this time of year ((((for this team)))! Our OL has not come together and been as effective in run blocking for whatever reason - but they all seem to excel at pass pro. Which leads me to believe they aren't bad OL - but more a victim of the "stack the box and stop 9 at all cost versus Clemson tactics"! Tempo has the potential to get some of those DL to breathing hard and not firing off the ball as hard/fast. That means, they don't get off blocks as well too!
Somebody will no doubt come on here and say; we are already a tempo offense. But, I mean, Baylor, Oregon under Chip Kelly, Syracuse, Wake and Marshall fast!
One of the reasons tempo was first used was some coach noticing how worn out the DL got in last minute situations. How it took the steam off the pass rush. A coach out (this is where it depends on who you ask) in X-where who had really good spill guys, but his OL was not on equal level of good as the skill guys used the tactic to get his QB time by slowing down the DL. By making the defense stay in basic packages; because often they couldn't even get lined up fast enough to do anything about it. With how we rotate players in - if somebody did that to us - I have no worries! We have recruited well and there is quality depth on the roster!

O lines for years have still ran the ball against stacked boxes! But, why force it if you have one on one to a 4 star WR? As I said earlier, many things have to go right on pass plays for it to work. Less things have to go right on a run play(just don't hold). Clemson between the RB's and QB's needs to have close to 100 yards in the game to win or said another way the Tigers need to average 4.1 yards a carry "average"! Tempo will alleviate the need for Trevor to have to duplicate the 439 yard performance by DJU.

It depends on the situation.

Dec 16, 2020, 10:51 AM

If we define tempo as the time between snaps, then tempo can give an advantage when the offense is not subbing and is clicking. It is a disadvantage when there are inefficient drives because you can have a 3&out that takes mere seconds off the game clock and give the D no rest or time to make their adjustments as needed.

Tempo does not help the O-line unless the D-line gets tired out, which requires sustaining drives.

To help the O-line, the better plan is to focus on quick developing plays that get the ball out in less than 3 seconds after the snap. You can take a ton of time between naps and use motions to make the D show their alignments. This quick time from snap to throw helps the O-line because they are only being asked to block for 3 seconds on average. Then, when there are deep shots that take longer to develop, the O-line is less tired out and they can put max effort into that snap.
The trouble we get into right now is that our o-line is asked to hold blocks for 5+ seconds on every pass play. Some how even our screen passes are so slow developing that it is forcing the oline to block for just as long as our shots down the field.

Deep outs and post plays have been our most successful plays of the season. All tend to be longer developing. That gives an opposing D the ability to plan creative blitzes, and take advantage of our O-line.

If we want to change things up and win against the pass rush the best options may be more quick slants with a TE or Slot running a flat underneath (easy completion vs Man), outside toss and power run plays with Slot WRs chipping to set the edge on the DE, and inside crossing routes (AKA natural pick plays).

Overall, Tempo can be great to mix things up or as a surprise burst to get the D before they are set, but to actually help the OL, it requires faster developing plays and the ball out in sub 3 seconds.

Dec 16, 2020, 11:02 AM

All I can say is “LEAVE THE COACHING TO THE COACHES”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2020, 11:04 AM

We still play with tempo, but we no longer play with blind tempo.

We get to the line really quick to prevent the defense from being able to make substitutions in most situations.

If we have the right play for how the defense is set up, then we will run it quickly and keep going.

The difference now from how Clemson was with Morris and how several other teams who have been mentioned play is that we will check out of a play and slow it down some to try to make adjustments and get into the right play on offense.

There are two sides to the argument, but for the most part I would rather get a look at the defense and run a play that has a chance by scheme instead of hoping the other team isn't conditioned well enough or isn't disciplined enough to play their assignments when they are tired.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic