Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN’s push to move the college football season to the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

ESPN’s push to move the college football season to the

Apr 17, 2020, 3:28 AM

Spring has zero to do with the virus and everything to do with profits. ESPN thinks with no competition from the NFL major league baseball pennant races and the World Series the college football viewership will increase. Hopefully everyone involved will oppose ESPN’s push to destroy over 100 years of tradition in college football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN’s push to move the college football season to the

Apr 17, 2020, 3:42 AM

I disagree, only because many of the 2021 draft eligible players would most likely forgo the season if it’s played in the spring. The NFL isn’t going to move their season or any of precluding events back. Just my thoughts.

Apr 17, 2020, 4:06 AM

Then why is ESPN pushing the idea?

Apr 17, 2020, 4:15 AM

So you and I will discuss it at 4am. And hopefully we’ll both share articles that argue one side or the other. And so on and so on.

It’s just a narrative to get folks talking when there isn’t very much new information for the sports world. That’s my mindset at least.

Why "push it"? Well, so we maybe get a season at all.***

Apr 17, 2020, 4:48 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN’s push to move the college football season to the ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Why "push it"? Well, so we maybe get a season at all.***

Apr 17, 2020, 5:40 AM

If the country isn’t completely opened back up by then football will be the last thing on anyone’s mind.

I'm not going to any games this fall no matter what

Apr 17, 2020, 5:46 AM

but would love to watch football on TV

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not going to any games this fall no matter what

Apr 17, 2020, 6:04 AM

How many games would you have normally gone to?

Given a totally ‘normal’ football season and giving period for IPTAY?

Apr 17, 2020, 6:12 AM [ in reply to I'm not going to any games this fall no matter what ]

Do you really think ESPN can survive 6 months showing reruns? Companies are slashing their advertising budgets and their parent company is bleeding losses.

Apr 17, 2020, 11:46 AM

So you don't think they can survive 6 months without sports, but you also think they're pushing to have football pushed to start 9 months from now instead of 4?

Would you rather just have the season cancelled?

Apr 17, 2020, 5:38 AM

no chance all the states are off lockdown

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would you rather just have the season cancelled?

Apr 17, 2020, 6:00 AM

If that’s true we’re in big trouble. We have had 22 million file for unemployment in 3 weeks and that doesn’t include the self employed, by mid May the combined could reach 60 million. In the month of March 1/3 of the nations renters didn’t pay their rent, that number will be higher in April. If this continues as long as you think state and municipal governments will start to slash payrolls, some have started already. The Fed will not be able to print enough money to prevent a long and deep depression, since January the Fed has put 7 trillion into the US stock market. I really don’t think people realize what’s coming if we don’t open up soon.

NC and SC will open soon. Quite a few states can open now

Apr 17, 2020, 6:03 AM

NY and La will probably still be locked down in August

Re: NC and SC will open soon. Quite a few states can open now

Apr 17, 2020, 8:37 AM

LA is about to cancel all sporting events through 2020 shortly, so I dunno what that means for UCLA and USC

Re: Would you rather just have the season cancelled?

Apr 17, 2020, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Would you rather just have the season cancelled? ]

You obviously want to kill people. How dare you speak of money at a time like this.

It isn't an ESPN push, IMO. It has more to do with the

Apr 17, 2020, 9:54 AM

reality of the situation. Some colleges are already declaring that they will likely continue online classes in the fall as opposed to bringing students back on campus. If schools actually start making that decision and students are not allowed on campus, they cannot have football in the fall. If students come back to campus in the spring semester, they can then have a delayed football season over the winter and spring.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Do you actually think they prefer spring over

Apr 17, 2020, 9:58 AM

a fall start? Lulz.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2020, 10:05 AM

C'mon man, seriously? Have you even thought about what you said?

You think ESPN purposely doesn't want the season to start on time? How much "competition" is there from the NFL on Saturdays?

When can everyone screw their heads back on? I don't like ESPN either but not everything is a wicked conspiracy.

Quick poll: How many people here get distracted from Clemson football by the MLB playoffs and World Series?

Apr 17, 2020, 11:18 AM

ESPN is paying a bunch of people a bunch of money to talk about sports when there aren't any sports. That's how you get dumb ### ideas like this. If they can't play til spring (which, guess what, is when we are having this huge flare up) then the season will be canceled. You can't play football from March to July and then start again in August. Its ridiculous not to mention most players hoping to get drafted won't even participate which will result in a pretty crappy product. Just another terrible idea from a terrible network.

Apr 17, 2020, 11:48 AM

The Spring idea is for the season to go from January - March or April, or February - April or May.

Apr 17, 2020, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN’s push to move the college football season to the ]

I can also picture a world in which the NFL would push back the 2021 draft a bit if something like this happened, especially if the NFL also missed a 2020 season, or had to push their own season into the spring. NFL teams would want to see these college players play a season before the draft in order to get as much information on them as possible, especially since the entire draft class would've not played football for nearly 2 years at that point. The NFL would be motivated to move things around in that situation if doing so would help get a college season played.

I'm not sure why so many people seem angry at ESPN for suggesting a spring season. They aren't doing so because they'd rather see the season played in the spring instead of the fall. They're doing so because they see the increasing possibility of the football season being cancelled, and they'd rather see it in the spring instead of not at all.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic