Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why did we reduce seating capacity so much at LJ
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Why did we reduce seating capacity so much at LJ

Mar 21, 2017, 11:32 AM

due to the renovations, anyway? Seems to me that was a concession to fan apathy from the get go. I remember a few ACC games back when I was there that the Fire Marshall was obviously looking the other way, we had people sitting in the stairways. And that was with 10000 + seats.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why did we reduce seating capacity so much at LJ

Mar 21, 2017, 11:34 AM

Brownell pure and simple. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To make room for those high dollar donors....

Mar 21, 2017, 11:36 AM

who rarely seem to show-up for the games, to sit in the new Coliseum Club.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

why sit in your seat when there's a taco bar?***

Mar 21, 2017, 11:58 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2017, 11:38 AM

Decrease supply and increase demand. Unfortunately the product also got worse.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Mar 21, 2017, 6:57 PM

Decrease supply again! It should all balance out at about 500 seats.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

addressing this country's obesity issue***

Mar 21, 2017, 11:39 AM

Because the basketball donor base Brownell cultivated

Mar 21, 2017, 11:41 AM

in order to make the renovations a reality wanted a club level. That club level, which I think was a great idea, takes up space where additional seats could have gone.

This is no different than the reduction in seating at Death Valley when the West End Zone was built. People complained then too, but it was a great addition. More seats aren't always better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

and those people who wanted a club level rarely use it....

Mar 21, 2017, 11:56 AM

At most games, that seating area was less than 25% filled.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Anybody know if the Club Levels were / are sold out? If we

Mar 21, 2017, 12:32 PM

reduced capacity based on Big Donors wanting a Club Level, I hope they ponied up the money once it was built for them. (No, I'm not a Big Donor. I'm big, and I'm a donor, but that doesn't count.)
:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anybody know if the Club Levels were / are sold out? If we

Mar 21, 2017, 9:08 PM

They pay 25,000 capital per pair plus somewhere around 2k in seat fees... so yeah. They are making more money than a regular seat.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They account for a sizable portion of our basketball support.

Mar 21, 2017, 9:21 PM [ in reply to and those people who wanted a club level rarely use it.... ]

It's easy to criticize them for now showing up, but without them we wouldn't have the nice new facilities we badly needed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Loud intimidating environments are NEVER

Mar 22, 2017, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Because the basketball donor base Brownell cultivated ]

built on reduced seating, club seats where wine and cheese are served. See: Fla. State, Tenn., Bama, Florida, Big House, and the list goes on.

Mar 21, 2017, 11:44 AM

There would be more seats if the Tiger Paw was smaller.

Mar 21, 2017, 12:16 PM

I wrote to the AD, the President of Clemson Univ. and the Board of Trustees expressing my concerns when I saw the plans that there would be a reduction in the number of seats after the renovations. My point was that with an improvement in the program, there would be a greater demand for tickets, thus a need for more seats. The success of our football program over the years resulted in additions to the stadium to meet the demands of our fans. I could not understand the logic of reducing the number of seats in Littlejohn if we truly expected our basketball program to become more successful. I received responses from each party I wrote to but the responses were "bland". Our AD then stated publically that success would create demand and demand would result in increased ticket prices, hence, more money for the program. So, it appears money was the deciding factor. In addition, the seat equity plan was designed to generate additional revenue. A high quality product creates demand if it is not overpriced. We did not have a high quality product in Littlejohn thus, the product was over priced.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cameron indoor seats around 9,000 and they are elite***

Mar 21, 2017, 1:23 PM

They knew BBs boring style of play couldn't fill it

Mar 21, 2017, 12:20 PM

7,000 looks less embarrassing in a 9,000 coliseum than it does a 10,000.

Re: They knew BBs boring style of play couldn't fill it

Mar 21, 2017, 12:28 PM

NAT gonna NAT... play style has nothing to do with attendance. Wins = butts in the seats.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

and that mentality is why we will never get a good coach to

Mar 21, 2017, 1:25 PM

come here. Football and Baseball will always draw fans whether there is a good or bad year. Basketball at Clemson is not the same. They have to be good or they won't show. No high level coach wants to relocate and take over a program with Fairweather Fans.

Re: and that mentality is why we will never get a good coach to

Mar 21, 2017, 1:41 PM

Sorry that is simply not true. Football and Baseball also have attendance drops when the on field product isnt as good.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

didn't say there wasn't a drop when those other two are bad

Mar 21, 2017, 2:05 PM

but you'll never see a 3rd of the stadium full at clemson in football.

Re: didn't say there wasn't a drop when those other two are bad

Mar 21, 2017, 7:09 PM

> but you'll never see a 3rd of the stadium full at
> clemson in football.

they play a lot more games in basketball and obviously a lot of them are during weekdays. going to football games is more about tailgating and hanging out with friends for a lot of people as well, it a different thing with basketball.

Mar 21, 2017, 12:41 PM

I asked that question well before construction ever started when the design was first revealed. Why in this day and age in the ACC with any sense of moving forward would you spend $60 million dollars to go from seating 10,000 to only 8,500? That in itself tells you just how much basketball is esteemed by this athletic department. We have effectively limited ourselves to just how far we will be able to improve this program. If you were a star potential recruit would you rather go to a program that seats 8,500 or 20,000?

and we couldn't even get a 3rd of that full this year...

Mar 21, 2017, 1:20 PM

thats why. Plus smaller is better IMO anyway.look at NC States new arena. that place is dead whereas reynolds fieldhouse was a loud rowdy place.

Not to mention the CLC

Mar 21, 2017, 2:45 PM

unless the coot wimmins is playin'

Mar 21, 2017, 7:15 PM

Dwindling returns ?

DB23

Mar 21, 2017, 9:19 PM

> Dwindling returns ?

For viewing a basketball game LJ is now right sized and students have good sideline sitting .

Mar 21, 2017, 9:15 PM

LJ is right sized for basketball viewing !!!!! Love the size

Yup, I asked the same thing

Mar 22, 2017, 9:09 AM

I think the reasoning is something like this: "Let's make it smaller so it looks and feels fuller and louder and more intimidating."

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic