Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Former Clemson LB commits to LSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

TNET: Former Clemson LB commits to LSU

Feb 10, 2021, 1:00 PM

Former Clemson LB commits to LSU

Mike Jones Jr. is staying a Tiger but changing conferences. Jones announced on Wednesday that he is transferring to LSU. "Make your next move your best move," J Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh boy***

Feb 10, 2021, 1:11 PM

Haven't heard why he's transferring but good luck

Feb 10, 2021, 1:16 PM

Nothing wrong with going someplace new for grad school, especially if someone else is willing to pay for it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Haven't heard why he's transferring but good luck

Feb 10, 2021, 8:59 PM

Pretty sure this isn't about the allure of an MBA from LSU being too much to pass up.

Best of luck, Mike!

Feb 10, 2021, 1:26 PM

Lol Lord knows LSU's D needs the help

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Former Clemson LB commits to LSU

Feb 10, 2021, 1:29 PM

Best wishes to him. For anyone who has played or coached before, how much proprietary information is there that a player can potentially take from one program to another? I think we had a similar discussion when Belk transferred to coot town right after completing Spring practice here. Yet another Pandora's box that the transfer portal has opened. Not that we likely will be playing LSU, but I could see a situation where a player transfers intra-conference right before a season and potentially provides some significant leverage between two evenly matched teams. I guess my concern Clemson-wise is that there is indeed something special in these hills and I don't want it being spread all over the nation. Haha.

Take off my orange colored glasses and yes, parity is good for the sport. Put them back on and I want Clemson to continue being one of the top programs in the country for as long as I live. :)

Feb 10, 2021, 1:48 PM

I've always assumed the player isn't going to be able to provide any information to his new coaches that they wouldn't be able to get from watching film. The film will tell coaches what sort of formations and plays a team likes to run, so it isn't like the player is going to be able to provide them with secret plays or anything. The only other thing would be signals, and a good coaching staff should be changing up their signals from week to week anyway because other teams will pick up on those on their own if they don't.

If a player could go to a new team and harm them by bringing in a bunch of information on his old team then it would be a huge problem in the NFL with free agency and trades. Also have to consider, that if a player could hurt a team this way then head coaches would basically have to change their entire system each time they had an assistant coach leave.

Feb 10, 2021, 2:52 PM

Makes sense. Just didn't know if player x could say that everytime QB1 picks his nose, everyone is running a slant pattern. I know that shouldn't make a difference, but just curious. Thanks for the input!

Feb 11, 2021, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Former Clemson LB commits to LSU ]

I don't think these are two evenly matched teams.

What do you read into this?

Feb 10, 2021, 1:36 PM

1. Why is he transferring after starting 10 games?
2. Why that particular statement? “Make your next move your BEST move.”
3. Why LSU?

"Make you next move your BEST move" puzzled me too. Raised

Feb 10, 2021, 1:38 PM

an eyebrow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Feb 10, 2021, 1:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: What do you read into this?

Feb 10, 2021, 1:49 PM [ in reply to What do you read into this? ]

I could be wrong, but I took that statement as simply a motivational quote without any real meaning behind it. I will say though that I agree that his transferring surprised and confused me due to the amount of play time he's been receiving. I can't remember, but was he still starting in our final few games? I believe he started every game he played didn't he? It would make sense if he felt he was being passed on the depth chart, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Re: What do you read into this?

Feb 10, 2021, 1:56 PM

Him transferring surprised me too, but I think Trent Simpson was really pushing for his starting position and playing time.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!***

Feb 10, 2021, 1:43 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I see what you did there.***

Feb 10, 2021, 2:01 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2021, 2:16 PM

I can’t imagine our coaches telling him as a starter last year that he should seek his playing time elsewhere this year as at a minimum he would be playing significant backup snaps. With that being said, it seems highly likely he was therefore recruited by LSU. I can see some fireworks developing between certain coaches in the coming years about the portal and continuous recruiting of players already starting (Mullen as well obviously). This could make for interesting out of conference or bowl matchups.

Feb 11, 2021, 7:17 AM

Being a “starter” is misleading. He started the year off first string and has the injury. I think the telltale sign is over the last 4 games of the year when he was healthy. It’s unfortunate his injury is what got Simpson on the field but once he saw it he wasn’t leaving it. He’s too good even as a freshman LB. When both healthy Simpson was getting the majority of the snaps over the final stretch of year. Jones knew this. Wish him well and hopefully he does great at LSU, but Simpson is our future regardless of this transfer. Jones would have been incredible depth but that’s it.

Feb 11, 2021, 7:40 AM

Understood. But Jones was one tweaked hamstring or concussion protocol away from running out there first again. LB is a high contact spot and you will see the field as a backup.

he got passed by Trenton Simpson, win win for Clemson

Feb 10, 2021, 2:23 PM

Best of luck Mike Jones Jr. He got a degree and a natty from Clemson.

Re: he got passed by Trenton Simpson, win win for Clemson

Feb 10, 2021, 2:45 PM

That's the best thing he can leave with. I think I remember that he helped recruit xt and others. I have nothing but best wishes for him!

Re: he got passed by Trenton Simpson, win win for Clemson

Feb 10, 2021, 5:18 PM

Yeah, that's what gets me puzzled. He was probably our loudest voice that class. He just loved Clemson... I have zero idea what LSU depth chart is but if it's something like playing time, idk. Did he fall for the line it just means more, as in being able to get a higher grade in the NFL? I wouldn't think that'd hold water. Dissapointing because his experience would've been invaluable.

Thought one of our x and o experts mentioned something to the effect that he wanted to change positions.

Who knows, could be a girl or anything. Wish him the best.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is aware that OBJ won't be passing out cash* anytime soon

Feb 10, 2021, 4:06 PM

*play money

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Feb 10, 2021, 5:44 PM

So for 2020 Mike Jones Jr was credited with 30 tackles. That's for the entire season. Keith Adams had 27 in a single game and 186 in a season. Fine young man and wish him all the best but hard to see him as a next level player or even as a starter at LSU. Another degree to further his long term educational plans is certainly a great idea and I hope he finds the right fit on that level. Hoping the next year or two brings us some badly needed upgrades at all linebacker positions.

Feb 11, 2021, 6:49 AM

Not a starter at LSU? Did you see their defense last year? If not don't feel bad. Nobody else saw it either.

Feb 11, 2021, 9:46 AM

Bareftn said:

Not a starter at LSU? Did you see their defense last year? If not don't feel bad. Nobody else saw it either.

Yes, I saw them a bit and of course they were not good. They have two returning starters at LB, two 4 star incoming freshman, and the #1 rated inside JUCO LB also coming in "Flipping recruits is a way of life in the SEC West, and LSU landed the No. 1 JUCO linebacker, who just decommitted from Mississippi State earlier this week." In his freshman season at Mississippi Gulf Coast, Strong helped lead the Bulldogs to the NJCAA national championship and a perfect record. Strong totaled 104 tackles with 17.5 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks last season. He also had three PBUs, a forced fumble and two fumble recoveries.(this was in his first season - last season was shortened). LSU also plans to have additional LB's come through the portal some of whom are SEC starters. So is it a dumpster fire? Yes. They have the #3 class in the country per Rivals however. Will Mike Jones Jr. and his 30 tackle season pass by enough of these players to start? Maybe or maybe not.

Feb 10, 2021, 5:46 PM

Best of luck (unless you are playing against us).

Feb 10, 2021, 7:52 PM

He will be fine at LSU. For that matter he would have been fine at Clemson, but it was his decision. He moves on; we move on. He chose a program with huge problems. We are a program with limited problems, and in fact, we conquer problems pretty darned good. We eat problems for breakfast along with our "Wheaties". His loss - our gain. The young man, "has chosen poorly". JMHO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2021, 8:51 PM

I wish Mike Jones the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2021, 9:49 PM

My reliably unreliable sources say we are in contact with Antoine Sampah again, so some payback may be in order.

Feb 10, 2021, 9:49 PM

My reliably unreliable sources say we are in contact with Antoine Sampah again, so some payback may be in order.

Feb 11, 2021, 12:44 AM

I'm surprised he waited this long to announce to be honest. Maybe not, but I would imagine this decision was made before entering the portal. Just my .02 cents. #donttrustthecorndogs

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From the ground up....

Feb 11, 2021, 7:12 PM

that is where Clemson will have to start if any more players leave. We will be the next team struggling like Carolina, we were in a good place, but I am so afraid that Clemson will not be as successful, if any more good players transfer. Just shine when you are on the field. But, it is their decision. Go Tigers! Good Luck to all the transfers!

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic