Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We never called Coach Howard..FRANK
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,036

We never called Coach Howard..FRANK

Oct 5, 2016, 9:24 PM

So when do we start calling DaBO ..COACH, out of respect?!

I say at age 50 and with 1-3 NC wins.

When say You?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We never called Coach Howard..FRANK

Oct 5, 2016, 9:27 PM

You're saying dabo will lose 3 Nattys?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2016, 9:30 PM

we dont call coach swinney William either. Dabo is a nick name....but I see what you r saying. He deserves to respective title of Coach

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2016, 9:31 PM

I called him " Coach " when I met him in Atlanta in 2012 . It was a matter of respect .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo on message boards, Coach in person

Oct 5, 2016, 10:29 PM

I agree and have done the same

In person I have always used "coach" as a formal title. From little league to big league, it's appropriate throughout. Only difference is: the more prominent the position the farther the title travels off the field.

Oct 5, 2016, 9:31 PM

I think he prefers being called Dabo....the one & only.....and he is the MAN....Go Tigers!!!!

Respect..people won't call me "LiGHTBuLB" BiLL

Oct 5, 2016, 9:34 PM

As I genuinely like, but instead BiLL.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2016, 9:39 PM

Unrelated, but are you staying put on HHI Bill, or have you evacuated? @LightBulbbBill

Oct 5, 2016, 9:40 PM

I guarantee that the players don't call him Dabo, pretty sure they call him Coach Swinney

Oct 5, 2016, 9:56 PM

I said this a year ago, and most people ranted and raved at how stupid my point was.

This guy is THE BEST Coach we have ever had here. If he stays ad long as some of the others did, his record will show it - with or without national titles.

His name is Coach Swinney.

Players and even Assistants consistently call him...

Oct 5, 2016, 10:02 PM

..."Coach Swinney" during interviews. "Dabo" has grown out of the media over the course of many years now. Probably no chance of putting that back in the bottle (much like Jimbo). I think it started more as a "haha look at this country bumpkin called Dabo that Clempson hired". Now Dabo is his own brand. A highly successful brand. So it kinda back-fired on the pundits in a beautiful way.

But you're correct, Coach Howard wouldn't have been called "Frank" and suffered fools lightly. Times have changed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

I think you, me, Spud , and hartins are the only ones here

Oct 5, 2016, 10:11 PM

old enough to have met him to call him anything... BTW what happened to hartins?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think you, me, Spud , and hartins are the only ones here

Oct 5, 2016, 11:08 PM

Not so fast, there are other mature folks here. I never met him but my hubs did and had chances to meet and speak with him. I attended plenty of games while he was a coach. Lived in the married student pre-fabs!

Yep, as an Army vet, me and my young family lived in the

Oct 6, 2016, 1:02 AM

prefabs. We never called Frank Howard "coach" unless we were talking to him. He was usually referred to as "Coach Howard" or "Frank Howard" -- NEVER, NEVER was he called Frank, except perhaps by Mrs. Howard.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope

Oct 6, 2016, 4:42 AM [ in reply to I think you, me, Spud , and hartins are the only ones here ]

If that "65" is your class year, I'm only one year behind you.

Although the respect card can be played, it's human nature..

Oct 5, 2016, 10:55 PM

You call your friends or generally known people with unique first names by their first names and those with common first names by their last. Unless, of course, your know a "John Smith', then well... Not saying DABO is your friend or colleague, but think about it... ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know about when you were there

Oct 5, 2016, 11:24 PM

but 60-64 it was Daddy Frank.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know if I could address him face to face as 'Dabo.'

Oct 5, 2016, 11:34 PM

I know one thing, Clemson has never had a coach who deserves more respect. Frank was born long enough ago to be my father. I've never in my life addressed a man who is that much my elder by his first name. I've referred to Danny as Danny since the beginning though I've never met him in person either.

I suppose I might continue to refer to Dabo and Danny as Dabo and Danny here, past that I just can't say.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say it's a different era.***

Oct 6, 2016, 2:15 AM

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,036
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic