Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It doesn't matter what Cole's stats are...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

It doesn't matter what Cole's stats are...

Oct 13, 2014, 11:38 PM

He's our QB... why not get behind him?

He is more than capable of winning if the line holds up and a running back steps up.

Whining about it is like whining about the sun coming up in the east and setting in the west. Just my two cents!

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It doesn't matter what Cole's stats are...

Oct 13, 2014, 11:53 PM

Does "getting behind" someone mean that we cannot reasonably critic them (ie real figures not "OMG he sucks") and does whether we "get behind him" or not effect how he will play on Saturday?

But why, though?

Oct 14, 2014, 12:04 AM

Like, what possible good will come out of nitpicking things that simply are? I don't need a bunch of armchair coaches me telling me what Stoudt's deficiencies are over and over week after week. I, along with everyone else, can see them quite glaringly.

Wish we could just hope he plays a great game and we can make due with what we have.

Re: But why, though?

Oct 14, 2014, 12:19 AM

Does typing out stats that are public info make someone an "armchair coach?" If you don't want to read it then don't click on those posts. Idk if you've read the board lately but it seems that there are a large portion of the fans that think he is doing a great job and that everything is Chad's fault. Am I and others allowed to think he falls somewhere short of Peyton Manning and still hope he plays well on Saturday.

Oct 14, 2014, 12:21 AM

Honestly don't think Cole's the problem as much as Chad.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2014, 12:29 AM

Chad makes mistakes but there isn't a system wide problem with his offense. (Except maybe the some of the pre-snap motions IMO) We light up the scoreboard with one QB and don't with another.

Oct 14, 2014, 6:08 AM

You are right, Watson played against UNC, NC State, and Stoudt played against Georgia, FSU, and Louisville (hurt shoulder and no practice). Seems to me you need to reevaluate your comments Purple-Panther because there is no comparison between the competition each faced. That is not a negative on Watson, because I think he is fantastic and I am glad we have him, but we must be fair in our analysis of play.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2014, 7:55 AM

Watson took the lions share of the snaps against FSU. He completed more passes caught beyond the 1st down marker against UGA in 1 drive than Cole did in one game. With 10 more attempts than Cole he has almost double his yardage. That's with only around 1/10th of his total yardage coming from the SCST game compared to almost 1/2 for Cole. Dabo's version of no practice seems to be different sometimes because apparently Cole took reps on Thursday. That's not to say he didn't play through some pain on Saturday. How many more national evaluators need to say things like "Clemson isn't the same team without DW" or "Clemson better hope DW comes back from injury quickly" before everyone understands that everything we see happen when Cole is under center isn't Chad's fault.

Oct 14, 2014, 8:39 AM

Let me try once more. I said Watson is fantastic and I am glad we have him. Did you see that quote from me? Secondly, there is no question about the abilities of DW versus CS, no question. But that is more of a compliment to DW rather than a negative on CS. Cole Stoudt is a very good QB and we can win with him. Would I rather have DW playing QB, YES, but we can win with CS and that is what we have. Lastly, I never mentioned anything about Chad being at fault for miscues on our offense when CS is playing QB, but I will say this, if Chad can't recognize the difference and make the necessary adjustments in play calling, then it is his fault. You adjust your play calling to those you have executing the plays. Trying to make a dash man a marathoner isn't going to work!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2014, 9:23 AM

You are exactly right. I've been saying the same thing. You should adjust to a different style & caliber of a player. You also should be able to adjust play calling when it isn't working. I firmly believe that we would be undefeated right now if we had good play calling and the ability to adjust. I further believe that we possess the talent to have been the ACC Champs. We will see what adjustments are made this weekend. We need this one. Thanks for your input.

Oct 14, 2014, 9:30 AM

It's was the adjustments that Morris made on Saturday that won us the game.

And it Stoudt's paly that made those adjustments work***

Oct 14, 2014, 9:56 AM

We have only lit up the scoreboard against SC State( Stoudt

Oct 14, 2014, 7:22 AM [ in reply to Re: But why, though? ]

started),UNC, and NC State. If you want to use Stoudt's stats against him then you must not be looking at the same stats I am. 62-102-1-2 for 649 yards. You really can not blame him for UGA because the second half is more on the play calling then anything else.

Re: We have only lit up the scoreboard against SC State( Stoudt

Oct 14, 2014, 8:14 AM

Good point. Bout time someone pointed that out. I totally understand Watson has won the job but.....,it does not take genius to notice a noticeable change in play calling when Cole is in. Since the first qtr of GA game the play calling has been horrible when he has been in. Run Run throw on 3rd and long. Everyone's stats suffer when you throw only on 3rd and long.

I thought this offense is designed to take advantage of the personnel in the game. Cole is not DW, we know that. Cole IS Cole. How bout we see some imagination in our play calling to take advantage of what he does well. The beginning of GA game is a great example. The only thing that stopped Cole in first half were 3 consecutive dropped balls in the first half and horrible play calling in the second. Chad was being aggressive and we moved the ball with Cole. Even after DW came in and led a drive for a TD, Cole came right back with another TD. We should have been up by 17 at the half in GA. At FSU we went right down the field with good play calling early with Cole.

Since then play calling has been very vanilla when he's been in. Open it up now Chad. Let's spread the field, throw it down field, and mix it up as you've been doing with DW. It's a big play book that has plenty to take advantage of any QB, including a less mobile QB who can sling it. One question I havve been wanting to ask is.....IF Cole clearly had the best grasp of "the entire offense" during pre-season and the first 3 games....why do we see the same three plays every time he steps on thee field now? Run up the middle, jet sweep, bubble screen, punt. Hell, I can predict the calls when Cole comes in. When we opened up the playbook in second half Cole looked very good. Keep doing it!!!!

And for Gods sake put the 230 lb QB under center in short yardage!!!!!! If we can get two yards coming out of our own end zone when everyone in the stadium knows it's coming, I think we could get a yard in 4 plays from the opponents 1 yard line.

Oct 14, 2014, 8:30 AM

Cole is 5 of 13 on 3rd and 7 or longer with 1 1st down. DW is 12 of 21 with 9 1st downs. Converting 3rd downs through the air is what kept our offense moving against UNC and NCST.

Oct 14, 2014, 8:45 AM

Those 3rd down conversion stats were against which teams, Purple_Panther? Stats are stats, be fair in your approach.

Oct 14, 2014, 8:51 AM

just as purple is free to post the drivel he does, i am also free to say what i think about it. people like purple are the worst "so called" fan any fan base could possibly have. people who only get pleasure out of bashing others. purple talks sh!t about our players but i am guessing if cole walked up to him in the parking lot to talk about it he would melt like the wicked witch of the west. just another internet badas$

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2014, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: We have only lit up the scoreboard against SC State( Stoudt ]

Doesn't get more fair than the numbers. It isn't hard to illustrate the disparity between our offense's depending on who is at QB. I challenge you to attempt to even find 1 cherry picked stat that shows Cole in a more favorable light.

What does it matter what Watson can do and Stoudt

Oct 14, 2014, 8:55 AM

can't? Watson is out with a broken hand so he CAN NOT PLAY. Since you do not want Stoudt to play then please tell us who should be QB

Re: What does it matter what Watson can do and Stoudt

Oct 14, 2014, 9:29 AM

It matters because they are variables. People think it's fine to criticize Chad's offense one day and praise it the next. I want Cole to be our QB for as long as DW is injured but I'm a realist. I want to know the good and the bad in order to come up with realistic ideas about our football team. It boggles my mind to see people ignore all the good to tear down DJ Howard or Chad Morris but ignore all the bad to praise Ben Boulware or Cole Stoudt. It's possible to point out the flaws and imperfections and still hope the best for someone. Our coaches do it everyday. Maybe I'm over correcting because of the vast amount of people that seem to think Cole has no flaws or is the most improperly used QB of all time. But I'm not one of the people in the stands yelling obscenities at our QB when his number is called. In fact I'm probably more level headed because I don't expect him to go in there and set the world on fire. It's no different than people saying Mike has to hold on to the ball or Morris has too fix his short yardage issues.

I have never understood fans that feel the need to

Oct 14, 2014, 9:54 AM

criticize players all the time. Sure I understand venting after a game but the way some people feel the need to go on and on about a player that is giving the best they can. I always have found it amusing when people get on here and say they are a realist and all they do is bash the team and coaches but never look at any of the good. The good from Saturday was that Stoudt settled down and moved the ball some. His stats against a great defense were not that bad. Did he come in and win the game no but he did not lose it either

Re: I have never understood fans that feel the need to

Oct 14, 2014, 10:03 AM

I can assure you that I'm not always bashing the players or coaches. I don't like people that do that either. Like I said maybe I'm just over correcting to my critical side because of the amount of people that are white washing the subject. I gave high praise to Stoudt for the throw he made to Mike right before the half. Unfortunately he pretty much turned right around and evened that out. He played well enough to win but are going to need more than what he showed Saturday to win out. It's a fresh start for him. I hope he doesn't look back.

Oct 14, 2014, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: What does it matter what Watson can do and Stoudt ]

Purple, I think you just have reading comprehension problems or maybe you didn't watch the game but relied on the "Stats" of the game to come to your conclusions. The truth is in the details of the stats which has to be considered. You'll be alright. One last thing, since you are a stats guy. Realistically speaking, who won the game below?

Team A. Team B
1st Downs 18 21
Total Yards 352 318
Passing 225 178
Rushing 127 140
Penalties 8-52 3-20
3rd Down Conv 6-11 10-19
4th Down Conv 0-0 0-1

If you picked Team A then you are incorrect. Team B won the game.

Oct 14, 2014, 10:23 AM

Yardage was a dead heat by 2 yards. B had 3 more first downs. Couldn't have been more than a one possesion game.

Oct 14, 2014, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: We have only lit up the scoreboard against SC State( Stoudt ]

At this point in the season, stats are a moot point! DW could have 2000yds passing and 38 TDs but he's not relevant in any discussion about whose better, he's OUT FOR 4-5 WEEKS. Stoudt is the guy at this time. Just remember a month ago some were screaming for the best person play, well that's where we are today. Cole is the best we got. Accept it and you'll feel better.

The only stat that matters now is that Watson can not play

Oct 14, 2014, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: We have only lit up the scoreboard against SC State( Stoudt ]

and Cole is starting. What Watson can do does not help the team. If you do not think Cole can do it then just leave until next season. Personally, I think Stoudt can lead this teams to wins for the rest of the season if needed. No need to try to rush Watson back

Where are you getting the stats? Are they available

Oct 14, 2014, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Re: We have only lit up the scoreboard against SC State( Stoudt ]

on line somewhere?

Re: Where are you getting the stats? Are they available

Oct 14, 2014, 9:40 AM

Cfbstats dot com is where I get most of my stats.

Re: Where are you getting the stats? Are they available

Oct 14, 2014, 9:44 AM

woo hoo, purple can google. skill. are you a starting googler or just a backup.

Oct 14, 2014, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: We have only lit up the scoreboard against SC State( Stoudt ]

Well, let's see. All that was called the second half of GA game was passes behind the line of scrimmage, mostly for losses. GA ate us up on every pass. Don't remember getting more than 3 yards on any pass behind the line. It was 3 downs & punt & it wore our defense out. So, let's get behind Stoudt this week & give him a lot of encouragement. We need him thriving the next few weeks. If you want to critic someone, then maybe the offensive coordinator would be in order. I have seen enough of 3rd & 1" to 1/2 yard shotgun run plays on the goal line. That could have cost us another big game Sat.. I'd rather have Venerable calling our offensive plays at this point. He seems to be motivated & takes the time in developing a good, solid game plan.

Oct 14, 2014, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Re: But why, though? ]

funny thing is you are allowed to do anything you want. it is a free country. you are free to make yourself look like an idiot as much as you like. hell, anyone can google stats, most 4 year olds can do that. cole plays for clemson, he is our qb and will be for at least a month. guess it would be out of the question for our fanbase to put him on their shoulders and cheer him on. i am quite sure cole is old enough to read what is written on the internet. not everyone has to deal with that. what if cole had packed his sh!t and gone home 3 weeks ago. how would you feel now. all he has done is jumped in and helped watson anyway he could. he has been pure class. cant say the same about a lot of goobers in our fanbase.

Oct 14, 2014, 8:48 AM

deroberts, you just got a gold star from me because that is what I have been saying.

If you think he can not get it done then why don't you just

Oct 14, 2014, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Re: It doesn't matter what Cole's stats are... ]

give up on the rest of the year. Why bash Stoudt? Yes Watson gives the best chance for a win but that is mainly due to his mobility. The UGA game was on the coaches. And yes if people keep saying he can't get it done can affect him on Saturday by hurting his confidence. In my opinion when he came in Saturday he looked like a player who has lost some of the confidence he had and was trying to make the big play by forcing things. Settled down some the second half and started moving the ball some against a very good defense

Re: If you think he can not get it done then why don't you just

Oct 14, 2014, 9:35 AM

That's right. I have full confidence in Stoudt. Credit him for playing with the bad arm. He should have been throwing shorter passes, not 20-25 yards down the field. The throwing motion uses the left side too. Again, that's coaching & play calling. I'm sure his confidence level has been broken, but hope he get's a lift. He should have got more playing time last year which would have been an asset for him & the team.

What does matter is that Cole Stoudt - a guy

Oct 14, 2014, 12:29 AM

who didn't practice last week due to a shoulder injury, got it together at the end of the game and moved the ball, and worked the clock for over five minutes. He ought to be a ton better in Boston.
The man is going to get it done!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plenty of blame to go around on this team...or I should say

Oct 14, 2014, 12:32 AM

plenty of areas were there is needed improvement. I honestly didn't think this team would be better than years last and so did most normal people.

I don't understand why all the hate knowing that, AND couple that with our string of injuries with many of our starters...what do you honestly expect? I say, enjoy were this program is heading...we'll peak and trough before we reach the pinnacle. If we lose again this season, don't have an aneurysm...good things are coming...everyone can see it.

Re: Plenty of blame to go around on this team...or I should say

Oct 14, 2014, 8:08 AM

I have never understood the Stoudt bashing. What if during his time we win out? Do we throw him under the bus again? Do we risk another injury to Watson? The guy has paid his dues. Watson May be the better athlete and he seems a quality kid, but he is not a current option which means we are using the best talent available. Besides, most of you are old enough to not be picking on kids anymore.

Re: It doesn't matter what Cole's stats are...

Oct 14, 2014, 8:07 AM

Agree he is all we have now. When we were playing cole over waston I was upset but now coaches are playing the only guy we have we can win with.

Crticising strategy, tactics and coaches are OK. Not players***

Oct 14, 2014, 8:33 AM

Re: Crticising strategy, tactics and coaches are OK. Not players***

Oct 14, 2014, 9:29 AM

......but, but, but, I have never heard of coaches stealing crab legs...

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic