Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor.

Jun 9, 2020, 8:29 PM

The fact is Watson and Hopkins are very powerful people and will only become more powerful in the coming years. Watson’s give-back attitude is well known. They both have millions of followers. And yes they both had full scholarships to Clemson but they also brought in millions of dollars to Clemson. They certainly have the position to make requests of their university.

When they made their comments about renaming the College of Honors they’re saying if you do this, we will carry the Clemson banner and make it sing. If not, we won’t go negative but we just won’t go.

We can debate history from every perspective but history is just that - history. To continue to move up in the academic and sports worlds, Clemson needs to attract the best and the brightest students, athletes, professors, and administrators. Positive comments from alumni like Watson and Hopkins will go a lot farther in helping to achieve these goals rather than trying to maintain a history which from anyone’s perspective is not all that great.

There is also a huge financial impact here. Having worked for a large corporation I can tell you without hesitation from now on money will not go to institutions who are resting on the status quo. Money will go where changes are being made. After all, corporate reputations will be on the line as well.

This is not a partisan issue. This is an issue of where we are right now in this country. We can discuss race, protests, causes, etc forever but the world will move on. And we can choose to move on as well or sit back and shrink to a place I don’t think anyone wants to go just because we do not make changes.

The university administration would do well to listen to these guys.

Message was edited by: CaliforniaTiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor.

Jun 9, 2020, 8:38 PM

Extremely well said my friend, I for one truly appreciate this message. I feel the same way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor university.

Jun 9, 2020, 8:38 PM

lost me at “this is not a partisan issue”

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor university.

Jun 10, 2020, 12:36 AM

What I meant by non-partisan is this: We have a racism problem in this country (what) - this cannot be argued. I did not address the "why" nor the "how" to fix it.

I simply said Watson and Hopkins asked for something that is really relatively minor and has already been asked by many students in the College of Honors. The impact of this minor change would be huge in so many ways....and here it's important to think beyond football. It does not end racism. It is a symbolic change that says we hear you. We recognize there is a problem.

Now that Nikki Haley has dropped out of the picture, Watson and Hopkins are the 2 most influential Clemson ambassadors out there.

Many have said this would only be the first of many requests. Those are assumptions with no facts behind them. I have to wonder though....if there are other things that need to change, is it so terrible that requests are made? The goal is to make Clemson the best. Holding on to ancient ideas and not recognizing the world just made a quantum change is the worst thing that can happen to any kind of instituion.

Perhaps listening might be something everyone could benefit from.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 8:47 PM

They are football players. They have no freaking power and where would they be without the past? You moron

Jun 9, 2020, 9:05 PM

You come here to call people names?

Jun 9, 2020, 9:42 PM

Nope just saying. This is stupid

Jun 9, 2020, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

But what kind of power do they have ? Haven’t heard from Homer Jordan ???

and the country says, "who is homer jordan?"***

Jun 9, 2020, 10:55 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

But what kind of power do they have ? Haven’t heard from Homer Jordan ???

Jun 9, 2020, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

YOU are the one that's wrong, but I won't call you a moron- that is not for Tigernet. Fact is, we need to change a few names of buildings/programs that were obviously ill named to begin with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 9:46 PM

No you need to get off your liberal high horse. If you’re ashamed of Clemson be gone with you

Jun 9, 2020, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

A torn ACL and they will be forgotton in an hour. Love Deshaun but this pill is hard for me to swallow. Does anyone on this bored think this will be the last demand? They were good for Clemson but by same token - we were good for them, had Deshaun gone to school at, let's say Coot U, he might be in another line of work. They will keep coming until they remove every vestige of Clemson history and soul.

Jun 9, 2020, 9:37 PM

I’m out of this argument except for the fact, DW4 could have gone to a lot of colleges and done well! Clemson was good for him but he was good for Clemson as well.

Jun 9, 2020, 10:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

Watson has made it past 2 torn ACLs , in fact he beat the coots playing on his last one.

Bad analogy .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

^^^Gets it. Plain and simple Deshaun is a winner. He would’ve won wherever he was planted.

Jun 10, 2020, 7:13 AM

Not saying he would’ve won the NC. But as TD said, two torn acls later . . . Deshaun is a humble wonderful human being who gave us all he had. Even if you disagree with him, which is fine, then disagree with him. Don’t try to tear him down or lessen his importance to our program. I’m a little younger than you old farts and older than you whipper snappers but he is absolutely the number one Clemson player ever in my book.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 11:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

Watson would have been a first round pick wherever he went.

Jun 10, 2020, 3:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

What a dumb ### comment about the man who broke the usc streak on a freaking torn acl. You racists are something else. Get ready to go back to 7-8 win seasons if this attitude is what the university chooses to adopt.

Jun 9, 2020, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

Interesting. You may surprised by the influence a celebrity with a platform that reaches millions of people can have.

I for one look forward to the progression.

Jun 9, 2020, 9:49 PM

Be very careful what you forward too

Jun 10, 2020, 12:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

May I suggest you get yourself perfect before you attack others? My sense is that will take you quite a while.

Jun 9, 2020, 8:57 PM

Well said.

Jun 9, 2020, 9:04 PM

You give in to the mob they will never let up until they take everything you have. What happens when you rename one building and they ask for another? I heard clemson was name after a slave owner. If true u willing to rename the university too?

Jun 9, 2020, 9:08 PM

Who cares? We can do the obvious ones and it won't hurt us white people a bit. It's meaningless to me.

Jun 9, 2020, 9:51 PM

But it will mean something later.

Jun 9, 2020, 11:21 PM

Be more specific. What will it mean?

DW4 is part of the mob? Really?***

Jun 9, 2020, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

Jun 9, 2020, 9:09 PM

Lost me at "California Tiger"

Jun 9, 2020, 10:31 PM

he used some thoughtful words though and writes well...thus is smarter than you and can tell you how to live your life and how you are supposed to think

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 9:11 PM

Very well said, and its long overdue that we make changes. These were people who had really BAD beliefs and practices. JCC at the head of the list.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 9:20 PM

Thats right just cowar down to any foolish demands for a price. You are part of the problem !

No

Jun 9, 2020, 9:45 PM

You are. The world is changing “old school”

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 11:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

What do you find foolish about it?

Without Nuk and DW4

Jun 9, 2020, 9:29 PM

There is no 4th and 16. There is no heroic drive resulting in a clutch pass to #13. Far as I’m concerned, if those guys ask for something that takes as little effort as signing a petition, you should do it. DW4 specifically has more than earned the right to have a respected opinion. If they were hurting about those old relics when they were at Clemson, lets help them make sure no others have to feel that same sad weight. That is all they are asking for. For some people, maybe stop talking and hard-charging and listen to what these men are saying. Consider helping them, even if you need to swallow your pride. If DW4 is crying out for help, help him. This is Clemson family we are talking about. We do not eat our own (does not pertain to Tommy West).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trying to rewrite the history of Clemson University will not solve legitimate problems. No secret,
times/people change but if you resort to rewriting history, then you are creating a never ending dream
world where each generations pushes aside the previous generations.

Jun 9, 2020, 10:57 PM

Nobody is trying to rewrite history. The history will still be taught.

Jun 9, 2020, 10:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

They're not trying to solve any problems from what I can tell , they're just asking that some relatively inconsequential things are adjusted to better represent Clemson University in 2020 .
I don't have a dog in this fight since I never attended , but they do and they're reaching out . The least folks could do is listen with an open mind and an open heart .

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

DB23

Asking a black person to join Calhoun Honors college and

Jun 10, 2020, 7:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

take classes in Tillman Hall is a legitimate problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Changing the name of the honors college isn’t going to result in them making positive comments; it will point them to the next target. In fact Nuk has already started tweeting about others things. I don’t care about the name of the honors college but Nuk has given no indication this is about that name. At some point it starts to feel like he is no different than all the other media guys piling on Clemson and CDS. If he typically was a guy who spoke highly of Clemson I might think otherwise but he seems to have been critical more than he has supportive.

The “powers that be” may decide to change some names (within what the law allows) but a prominent former student (neh drop-out) showing continued criticism isn’t IMHO doing us any favors it is only providing further ammunition for those who don’t like Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 10:06 PM

Well said. unfortunately racism continues to permeate many of our subscribers ... whose attitude will hold down our university as a beacon of the future for all Americans.

Jun 9, 2020, 10:48 PM

Do what we say or we will either burn down your campus or starve you out of existence.

Sincerely,

The entirely nonpartisan left.

Jun 10, 2020, 12:42 AM

Do you honestly believe Watson and Hopkins are going to burn the Clemson campus down if their request is denied? And I'm not sure who they would starve "out of existence" but the same question? Perhaps you should be upfront enough to sign your letters yourself rather than blaming your comments on others.

Agree completely. It is time. I'm glad they love the school

Jun 10, 2020, 1:17 AM

enough to even care. Some of the quotes attributed to Tilman and Calhoun are astounding. I don't see any way a university can move forward with any group of people without distancing itself from the ideology these two men expressed. It is time.

Jun 10, 2020, 7:02 AM

Absolutely not. They’ll just keep moving the goal posts and never be satisfied.

Jun 10, 2020, 7:09 AM

time to get these losers from blue states OUTTA here. they move down to the south and DEMAND we change things for them. why don't you head back up to S-hole NY/NJ or over to Cali? those three states look like they are doing great!

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Jun 10, 2020, 7:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Watson and Hopkins are doing Clemson a huge favor. ]

They demand Calhoun and Tillman names be removed from Clemson Univ. Will they demand that Calhoun's house in the middle of campus be removed because slaves worked in this structure. What will they demand after that? Perhaps the Name of Clemson be removed because he owned slaves and fought for the South in the Civil War? ROTC because it reminds when the University did not allow women students. People want to re-write history or bring up only their part. I have ancestors who fought on both sides of the Revolution, both sides of the Civil War and probably both sides of WW1. Do victors only go the spoils?
If only one side of history is written and acknowledged, is it history or propaganda. Remember, if you tell a lie often enough and continually, it will be accepted as truth.
What needs to be done is for all parties to sit down together and hash out what they want versus what others want. Let us get it all out there on the table and settle this once and for all times.

Jun 10, 2020, 7:40 AM

Exactly who is "they"? You make it sound like there's a war going on. Are you really that racist?

Jun 10, 2020, 8:21 AM

This is the problem and why racism will not go away. People keep bringing it up. Just because some of us don't agree with your opinion you call us racists. Well I call people like you ####### who want to appease everyone and hope everyone likes you back. News flash no one cares any more about you parading the I'm not racist flag. It is you who are the racists because you call others that because they don't agree with you. It's not about race it's about what can I get by using race as my weapon. Sorry I'm not buying it and I don't give a crap what Nuk or Watson thinks it's not their call or anyone elses to make.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a black person nearly killed his mom

Jun 10, 2020, 8:17 AM

But white folk be the problem
Got it!!!

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic