Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,803

Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall

Nov 8, 2016, 6:55 PM

If Cousin Barry Alexander had returned from that war alive, he might have enrolled, attended, and graduated from Clemson University as I had the honor to do. He grew up in Clemson and died in 1969. Since 1969, I started and finished high school, college, and most of my engineering career. I had the opportunity to visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall today. I found Barry there amongst what seemed like an endless list of names of those who died for us. This was my first visit to the Memorial. The Wall has a way of inviting you to say something to those you know. I shared with Barry how proud we are of him, that I still have some survivor's guilt 47 years later, and that his sacrifice will never be forgotten.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall

Nov 8, 2016, 7:12 PM

We enjoy our freedoms and get to exercise our right to vote because of Barry and other soldiers like him.

I'm glad you had a chance to visit. God bless you and your family.

Message was edited by: Clemson_®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2016, 7:27 PM

I am in DC for a temporary assignment and had the opportunity to visit there a few weeks ago. It is always a moving experience. My wife and kids are coming up this weekend. I am looking forward to exposing my kids to the memorial wall.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2016, 7:37 PM

Go easy fellow Tiger

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 for you

Nov 8, 2016, 7:45 PM

My indebtness to Mr. Alexander

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2016, 8:01 PM

Being a veteran of WW2 and the Korean War, I've lost relatives and friends in both wars. I've visited the Memorials in Washington several times. It's a sad experience but an opportunity to say "Thanks" and "I'll never forget you" to some wonderful and unselfish young men. I know of only one man from my Company during WW2 who is still alive and he is not doing well. I'm still in contact with four men in my Company in the Korean War, one of whom lives in Scotland. Lots of memories, some comical and some that I wish I could forget.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks--And terrific post!***

Nov 8, 2016, 8:05 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

God bless...***

Nov 8, 2016, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Thank you Joe for your service to this great nation....

Nov 8, 2016, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall ]

WW II vets are indeed heros and the greatest generation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I interview for the Veterans History Project at the Library

Nov 8, 2016, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall ]

of Congress, and if you have not been interviewed, I would be blessed to interview you Sir! and much gratitude for your magnificent service - both WW2 and the Korea War!!! Please tmail me your phone and or email if possible!

Nov 9, 2016, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall ]

Many thanks for your remarkable service in two wars.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Nov 8, 2016, 8:20 PM

It is a special experience. I visited it for the first time with my father, a Vietnam vet. HE had to struggle to remember names of his friends who didn't come home. It was the first time he talked about how you have to block out those who don't make it back from a mission . We owe a great debt to the families of those who paid the ultimate price and to those who survived with the scars you can't see.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Your cousin Barry is indeed the kind of man that this

Nov 8, 2016, 9:32 PM

country was built on....a hero in every sense of the word. I have not been to the wall, partly, I guess out of apprehension that my emotions will get the best of me. I served there the entire year of 1970 as a Marine platoon commander and thank God every day that none of my Marines name's are on the wall........mostly luck. I did not want to write a letter home to a parent who entrusted their son to a 23 year old lieutenant.

I would like to interview you for the Vets. History Project

Nov 8, 2016, 10:13 PM

too,if you would like Sir! Thanks so much for your service. I have interviewed several Vietnam Veterans from an E4 to a Retired General Wed. 14th at the Citadel Library.

Thanks for honoring my Brother Barry, I have a documentary

Nov 8, 2016, 10:01 PM

about him and volunteer at the VA in his honor. He was killed on Sept. 22 on his 22nd birthday with only 2 weeks left as a helicopter pilot. If you tmail me your email address, I will send you the doc.

Nov 8, 2016, 10:08 PM

What a touching tribute to your cousin; that's really special. I have been there and found the name of a high school friend, and it was an emotional experience for me, but nothing like you've experienced. Thanks for the post and God bless.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2016, 4:10 AM

He lives on through you and everyone who knew him.

God Bless LA Tiger, take comfort in knowing that your cousin rests in peace.

The rest of us got this, now!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

I have never been to the full sized one in Washington, but

Nov 9, 2016, 7:54 AM

"The Traveling Wall" exhibit came through my town several years ago. To say it was a humbling and moving experience would not begin to scratch the surface. You can feel a palpable presence of things unseen while viewing the seemingly endless list of names. On this day, of all days, remember, Freedom isn't free.

Virtual Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall is also available

Nov 9, 2016, 8:06 AM

online I placed photos of Barry there.

Barry Kenneth Alexander is name on Virtual Wall

Nov 9, 2016, 8:18 AM

BARRY KENNETH ALEXANDER

is honored on Panel 18W, Row 124 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Wall Name:BARRY K ALEXANDER
Date of Birth: 9/11/1947
Date of Casualty: 9/22/1969
Home of Record: CLEMSON
County of Record: ANDERSON COUNTY
State: SC
Branch of Service: ARMY
Panel/Row:18W, 124
Casualty Province: QUANG TIN
Associated Items left at The Wall: N/A

I sent in photos of his medals and others also, I will have to send in others!

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,803
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic