Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson financial aid
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Clemson financial aid

Mar 29, 2021, 10:08 PM

Question for anyone else in my boat. I got two degrees from Clemson and my dad went there.

We live out of state and my son applied to Clemson. He got accepted into the honors program. He attends a boarding high school run by our state specifically for math and science: it is considered one of the better high schools in the country. He made a 1510 on the SAT with a perfect 800 on math. I say all of that simply to say that he has pretty darn good credentials. Unfortunately, we were pretty disappointed in his scholarship award. We had heard in the past that typically when an out-of-state kid does very well, he or she gets tuition bumped down to in-state levels. That does not seem to be the case this year, and so it looks like he will not be able to attend Clemson.

Are there any out-of-state folks out there who have had any experiences this year? Have you heard or seen anything?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His HS counselor should be a better resource

Mar 29, 2021, 10:20 PM

to track down scholarship money if they know how to do their job but to be honest it’s probably too late for next fall.

My cousin’s daughter didn’t qualify for the honors college but was able to string together enough various scholarships to get her out of pocket coming from NC down to about 1/2 of what instate would be without any assistance. Her counselor helped her apply for anything she might remotely qualify from a $500 per year Rotary award to something from her county that will cover her books.

Getting anything from Clemson this year will be tough with 42,000 applications- simple supply and demand

Good luck

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: Clemson financial aid

Mar 29, 2021, 10:35 PM

I feel your pain...and am now the parent of an FSU grad as a result. D'oh!

Mar 29, 2021, 10:57 PM

Clemson is super tight on scholarships

Mar 29, 2021, 11:22 PM

Still have money for needs based students though.

My niece attends NC State for out-of-state cheaper than she could have attended Clemson due to the scholarships and job offers they provided (vs the minimal money offered by Clemson).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2021, 11:58 PM

We are getting around 5k a semester as mine will be a Fr. this Fall. Not as good a grades as your son, but still pretty good. We are in-state.

Oddly enough, could have gone to Auburn and gotten 2x as much in scholarship money due to Major chosen.

Mar 30, 2021, 12:16 AM

Daughter, Calhoun Honors College, Architecture, would have gotten full-ride plus thousands in stipends from Auburn. Went to Clemson of course, and they wouldn’t budge on out of state tuition. It is a racket.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I can sell you a bag of doodoo gor $10 or a bag

Mar 30, 2021, 7:47 AM

Of candy corn for $20. They both bags of crap but kids love candy corn so what can u do?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Gotta ask yourself.. is the juice worth the squeeze.***

Mar 30, 2021, 7:52 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Mar 30, 2021, 7:55 AM

I believe the SC legislature has been watching out of state tuition waivers closely - Clemson has not done them I don't think maybe except rarely. UofSC on the other hand was passing them out like candy and have been called on it by legislators.

Mar 30, 2021, 8:01 AM

I would agree with the high school counselor comment and you have to do your own research. There are several good websites for finding scholarship opportunities and your high school counselor should be able to point you to them. My daughter is a freshman at Clemson with comparable qualifications to your child except she is an instate student. More than 50% of scholarship assistance we found on our own and applied for on our own. Some of it we did not hear back on until May to June of her senior year. I would not wait around for Clemson to do the work for you simply because many, many qualified students are competing for the scholarship dollars they have to offer. For Clemson its a sellers market. Legacy status doesn't count for much because there are a lot of legacies out there wanting the same thing.

USC will provide more aid than Clemson because they have to do it to get the top students to attend. Auburn and Alabama will also provide a lot of aid, especially for Engineering, because they do not have enough top students in state to fill the pipeline for industries located in Alabama.

My niece and nephew were well qualified but had a different experience with scholarship aid from Clemson and the main difference is they were from NC instead of SC. Hopefully, this helps guide you.

U gotta do it on your own

Mar 30, 2021, 11:16 AM

If you are black and female you will have way more financial aid opportunities.

My daughter is half vietnamese so I thought I may get an edge..but nope. Asians (including Indians) don't seem to qualify as minorities for financial aid.. There are already too many in college.

Re: U gotta do it on your own

Mar 30, 2021, 12:59 PM

Yes, Asian doesn't get you anything if you are looking for race based benefits. As a group they tend to just overcome and achieve.

As a general comment;

There are some very good merit based awards out there. My experience is they are often not advertised. You have to look for them and this is where the high school guidance counselor comes in. Guidance counselors know about these opportunities and they are pointing kids towards ones that they can be competitive for but if you don't ask and someone else does then they will be the ones getting them.

Check with your employer, church, school district and civic groups around your town/county/state. Much of this can be done on the internet.

Pick a STEM major, there are lots of scholarship opportunities. Major in education, some school districts will pay your costs in exchange for you agreeing to teach X number of years in their district. A friend's daughter had her tuition paid by an SC school district because she agreed to teach in a school where they are struggling to place teachers. It was in the form of a loan where a fraction is forgiven with each semester she teaches so if she didn't fulfill her end she was stuck with a balance due.

Its just an ongoing journey that doesn't stop with admissions.

Re: U gotta do it on your own

Mar 30, 2021, 1:00 PM

There is also ROTC as an option for financial aid.

Mar 30, 2021, 11:23 AM

Don't get me wrong and I love Clemson BUT for an undergrad, you follow the money. Any good school willing to pay for an education is the way to go. Undergrad just is not as valuable to pay a premium anymore IMO. It sounds like your son is top-tier and unless you are in the NE where the public schools are less noteworthy, then he has a good chance to land a good instate + scholarship.

My wife (also a Tiger) picked her undergrad over near-full scholarship Wake Forest because they did not guarantee the money over four years (be careful with some private schools - my brother learned the hard way about that - they only offered him a scholarship for two years). She nearly had a full ride but not having a complete full ride (she only had like 75% of her housing funded) she was able to pursue a lot of other scholarships. She actually MADE money via the small pots of funds, $500 here, $1000 there, etc.

I went to Clemson because they offered the biggest financial package about 20 years ago for me as an out-of-state option. However, that was the Barker years and when they were trying to capture the top 20 nameplate. It really depends on how "hungry" the school is during the admission process. Athletic success can really drive up applications and I bet "selling Clemson" is a lot easier now than what it was with our then-new coach Bowden.I bet they might be looking at your son thinking, that a "legacy" will pay.

There is always grad school too!

Mar 30, 2021, 3:12 PM

Apparently Clemson no longer has an "out of state tuition waiver", or at least so it seems; I am going to verify tomorrow. So like you said, I am going to follow the money. We live in NC, and NCSU will be about $100k less expensive than Clemson, even when accounting for the scholarship offer.

The only real, compelling reasons for my son to go to Clemson are because I went, we have been going to the games all of his life and he is huge fan. I think this is more traumatic for me than him just because I don't want him to be disappointed. However, in his eyes, he will likely go to a school (NCSU) where many of his friends will be and near another school (UNC) where more of his friends and his brother will be, so it will be good. He is also waiting on a decision from Duke, but that is a long shot.

Now on the other hand, with one at UNC and one at NCSU, the wife and I could have #3 for a chance to get a Clemson grad. I would be 71 when he or she starts and 75 when they graduate. Eh, maybe not!

Mar 30, 2021, 4:01 PM

NC resident as well - wrong side of the mountain and yeah, that will be a tough with our kids when that happens (oldest just started kindergarten). My son's sole goal in life is to be the tiger. But hey, there is always grad school and there are still tuition waivers - I think. Hope it works out!

Academic common market option

Mar 30, 2021, 11:32 AM

If you live in certain states, the academic common market is available for degree programs not offered in that state. For example, if you are in GA you can go through the academic common market for PRTM and pay instate tuition. Here's the link to check it out. https://www.sreb.org/search-programs

It might not be the program you had in mind but it is something to consider.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Academic common market option

Mar 30, 2021, 3:28 PM

NC does not participate in the Common Market so not an option for OP's son I think.

NC feels that everything is offerred somewhere in NC, so they don't need to participate in Academic Common Market.

My daughter just turned down Clemson to go to Bama

Mar 30, 2021, 1:16 PM

Gonna be cheaper with schollys they offer. Clemson didn't offer squat.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2021, 3:57 PM

My son graduated from HS 2 years ago.

He was dating a Va Tech alum whose daughter wanted to go to Va Tech.

They did not get a reduction to in state tuition.

He called and was told that in a typical year, yes, they would have, but their applications had doubled and they had a fixed number of waivers and she was below the line for the current year.

That's probably the answer for you as well.

If applications are up it's more competitive to get money.

Clemson is also required to prioritize in state enrollment for obvious reasons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2021, 7:47 PM

I attended Clemson in 1972 and got a degree in Construction Management. I also attended Auburn University (which if your labled an engineer that give you a job to report to.) and have a Nuclear Engineering degree from NC State. My parents were lower middle class which meant that their income was 'to little' to get a free ride they made too much money to be able to afford any college's tuition.

How did I make it you say without ever signing my name to some bank allowing me to borrow all I needed? Financial aid 101 (which I started as a senior in H.S.) tells anyone that it is good to chase merit based scholarships but you need to apply for a Pell Grant (which still exists ).

While I was living in Lexington Kentucky I even attended the University of Kentucky in the late '90's just because I wanted to take Autocad and and learn how to make a web site. The 'trick' is to be classified an 'independent student (which you are probable unless your daddy is still claiming you on his income tax.)

At that time the Pell Grant paid all my tuition, books and meal ticket. Of coarse this was in-state tuition but the Pell Grant can be used to make up out of state tuition. And it's money that the federal government gives to you and you don't pay back. Plus you don't a bunch of money to the bank six month after you graduate.

Information on all of the merit based scholarships and the Pell Grant are all on the internet just by using your favorite search engine.

In all the time it took me to go to college I never darkened the office of Financial Aid. I learned everything myself. It's ok to go to Financial Aid sometimes but you need to learn everything about merit based scholarships The Financial Aid people can't tell you anything that you can't find on your own.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic