Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To fire Brownell or not?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 77
| visibility 1

To fire Brownell or not?

Dec 23, 2019, 10:17 AM

I’m torn because I don’t know who is available. If Drad knows a great candidate willing to come to Clemson with good potential for LONG-TERM success, and who would stay and not leave after a lil success, I say pull the trigger.

Let’s face it, if you know any hoops at all, you should’ve known we were gonna be bad this year, losing three good players, without anyone to step in except freshmen and transfers.

If we know of no one, I say BB gets two more years with the good players coming in to mix with the current team holdovers.

If we don’t make the final 32 next year or 21-22 then pull the trigger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^you can't be serious?***

Dec 23, 2019, 10:20 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What’s your plan?***

Dec 23, 2019, 10:22 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dream Big...***

Dec 23, 2019, 5:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes

Dec 23, 2019, 10:21 AM

It's quicker and better for all involved

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To fire Brownell or not?

Dec 23, 2019, 10:24 AM

If I had the power, I would fire that incompetent moron tomorrow, just to make a point as to how bad of a recruiter and coach he is.

How does a bad recruiter and coach

Dec 24, 2019, 9:39 AM

have a top 30 recruiting class signed for 2020, and be within a few games of being our all time winningest basketball coach?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: How does a bad recruiter and coach

Dec 24, 2019, 9:57 AM

Easy... because Clemson basketball has a history of the only good coaches leaving for big time programs. The only way BB did was stay here long enough.

As for the top 30 recruiting class... good job. Muschamp consistently has a top 20 class but does he field a top 20 team? Takes coaching too... and obviously BB doesn’t have that skill.

Dec 23, 2019, 10:49 AM

Two more years.
No.Make the move at the end of the season.
Why go 2 more years regardless of who is coming in.

Dec 23, 2019, 12:30 PM

I am not necessarily a Brownell fan but - - - let’s all get real here. Clemson has been, is, and always will be a “football school”!
I am embarrassed every time I turn on the television and witness more empty seats than occupied in Littlejohn. Death Valley would be packed if we were playing Slippery Rock and our record was 0-10!
In my 60 years of attending and watching Clemson athletics football has always reigned supreme. Basketball has never been supported by the AD, the trustees, the fans, or anyone else. We have somehow managed to recruit some good coaches and great players over the years but never consistently. Coach Brownell has had to battle this scenario for his entire tenure.
So - - what I am saying is, don’t blame Coach Brownell entirely for the performances of his team or his recruiting abilities. Put yourself in the shoes of a young player stepping out on the court with a few thousand (maybe) fans in the stands, many of them students. Not very motivating! And recruiting becomes very difficult whenever a prospect sees the lack of support.
I am proud of the football team and what Dabo and company have accomplished. I wish the same support from the university and the fans was there for Coach Brownell and his players. They all deserve better!

the John was packed before we ended up

Dec 23, 2019, 4:57 PM

playing mind-numbing, mediocre basketball. Point is, it's been shown that fans come to the arena when an exciting, quality product is put out there, and it was fine when Brad started here.

I completely disagree that after 10 years you think a lack of support is a good reason to accept the product we're seeing.

Re: the John was packed before we ended up

Dec 24, 2019, 3:47 AM

I grew up in Clemson & attended many basketball games @ Littlejohn. I remember it being packed & rocking for every ACC game & the SC game too. Heck, we even sold it out for NIT games announced just days prior to tipoff.

Our fans most definitely will support basketball, as was demonstrated during the Rick Barnes & Oliver Purnell eras, or even when Tates Locke, Bill Foster (a good though underappreciated coach, IMO) & Cliff Ellis were coaching. But fans have to have something to get excited about, or at least some reason for hope. I suspect that a critical mass of our fan base have decided that Clemson basketball has hit a ceiling with CBB & perceive that the AD is willing to accept mediocrity so long as we're not a complete embarrassment. The danger is that apathy can set in, & that's when things can really get stuck in a deep rut.

True, historically the basketball program suffered from lack of support, but that had its roots in the days when Frank Howard was AD; he barely even tried to hide his contempt for the sport. This was especially regrettable because this was the time when ACC basketball was really taking off, & we basically eatablished ourselves as the perennial doormat. But that was a long time ago, & no excuse for where we find ourselves today.

So yeah, basketball has always felt like an uphill struggle for us in a league that is more often than not the best in the country. But we've had enough fleeting success to know that it can be done, if we can find the right coach AND keep him.

Re: the John was packed before we ended up

Dec 24, 2019, 9:41 AM

You're right. I've been a fan since '68. Regardless of the pros and cons expressed, IMO you cannot have any sustained success if you cannot recruit and rely on the transfer portal to "build" your team. After 10 years with BB I believe fans are delusional if can seriously look at his history and believe he can get the job done.

Dec 24, 2019, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Re: To fire Brownell or not? ]

Back in my days at Clemson 72-76 LJ was always packed. Students sat along the sidelines and especially behind the visiting teams. We won some, but we were competitive. The students stood about the whole game.

As far as coaches go, to me, Coach B isn’t getting the job done. He needs to be replaced. Clemson will always be a hard place to coach in today’s crap shoot with UNC and Duke. Our coaches need to recruit players the play bb and can shoot along with play good defense. It’s a team sport and play up tempo for the crowd. A good product on the court, like deodorant just has to work. We need a Dabo coaching ball and now we don’t have it. Because of football, Clemson should be able to get players now with the right coaches.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sir - you are incorrect. Basketball has been supported.

Dec 24, 2019, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Re: To fire Brownell or not? ]

Our teams have pretty much sucked the life out of the support.
Not interesting to watch.
No star power.
Have to be boring as a player.
I can stomach losing my share - I cannot watch something that is so boring that even a die hard fan cannot watch it.
Years ago when we lost, we had something fun and exciting to watch. Marvin Keyes, chubby wells, Larry nance, etc.
BB is giving me nothing to hold onto for 10 years. At least with Purnell, it was exciting.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Were it up to me...

Dec 23, 2019, 10:51 AM

I would have made a coaching change after the 2015 season.

If a change is made, the question then becomes, who can we get to replace Brownlee.

A list of potential candidates might include;

Mike Rhoades at VCU

John Becker at Vermont

Anthony Grant at Dayton

Scott Nagy at Wright State

Earl Grant at Charleston

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Heck - give Stevie Wonder a call - could not be worse

Dec 23, 2019, 11:05 AM

Instead of wondering who is better - make a list of who could be worse.
Try anyone - find a ex player who sells real estate!

Re: Were it up to me...

Dec 23, 2019, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Were it up to me... ]

BigCUFan® said:

I would have made a coaching change after the 2015 season.

If a change is made, the question then becomes, who can we get to replace Brownlee.

A list of potential candidates might include;

Mike Rhoades at VCU

John Becker at Vermont

Anthony Grant at Dayton

Scott Nagy at Wright State

Earl Grant at Charleston

Anthony Grant did awful recently at Alabama. Why would you want him?

I would include Ritchie McKay at Liberty, Furman Coach, Wes Miller at UNCG, Tenn Chatg Coach, are some good mid major coaches would do a good job.

You also might be able to attract some good high major coaches who might want to return to South or East. Steve Prohm at Iowa State went to school at Alabama. Fran McCaffery at Iowa started his playing career at Wake, and coached at UNCG.
I like what the Rutgers coach Steve Pikiell has done at Rutgers in just two years. I have watched them twice this season, and they have improved so much since last season. You can win at Rutgers, you can win here.

If Radakovich hasn't already...

Dec 23, 2019, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Were it up to me... ]

been in contact with at LEAST several names on that list AND others that we, as mere fans, are not aware of because IT ISN'T OUR JOB, then HE needs to be fired along with Brownell... and I mean IMMEDIATELY!!!

One or two more years? Go wait in the pumpkin patch with Linus and his blanket for two more years!!!!!

Re: If Radakovich hasn't already...

Dec 23, 2019, 1:30 PM

Here are some more good names that Jeff Goodman put together. I also heard some really good things about Dana Ford. He was considered one of the top young coaches when he started at Tenn State.

https://watchstadium.com/news/jeff-goodmans-college-basketball-coaches-on-the-rise-10-25-2019/

Dec 23, 2019, 11:03 AM

How did he do last year before the 3 good players left ?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

20-14, 9-9 in ACC. ***

Dec 23, 2019, 11:10 AM

The very definition of mediocre, especially when you

Dec 23, 2019, 11:46 AM

consider a disappointing early exit from the NIT. One real NCAA appearance in 9 years. Average mid-pack finish in conference. If you're happy with that pathetically low bar, then Brownell is your man. If you want better for Clemson basketball, he's not. And it's absurd to think Clemson could not do better.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

ACC record for our coaches:

Dec 23, 2019, 12:06 PM

BB 76-84
OP 50-62
RB 28-36

Man, just tired of starting over. A new hire could be worse.

Re: ACC record for our coaches:

Dec 23, 2019, 12:28 PM

That’s not a fair comparison, OP and Rick Barnes took over dumpster fires and improved the program. Brownlee walked in to a program in very good shape And has managed a losing record anyway

If we base our hopes and expectations on our miserable

Dec 23, 2019, 12:54 PM [ in reply to ACC record for our coaches: ]

past, we are aiming waaaaaay too low. We can do better, or at least we have to try.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: ACC record for our coaches:

Dec 23, 2019, 4:59 PM [ in reply to ACC record for our coaches: ]

That comparison is meaningless. The ACC schedule is not remotely as difficult is it used to be. Brownell plays more games against an easier schedule. Shyatt was twice as likely to be playing a top 25 opponent and three times more likely to be playing a top 5 opponent during ACC conference games. Brownell would have been gone just as quickly if he’d coached against the same schedule.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Numbers are not horrible, but competitive , not.

Dec 24, 2019, 8:04 PM [ in reply to 20-14, 9-9 in ACC. *** ]

In my 61 years, I have never seen the ACC so weak.
When I was at Clemson - 77-81. Being .500 in the ACC meant you were very good. Not the same as the past few years.
Now, top heavy. Used to be strong - top to bottom.

Dec 23, 2019, 11:04 AM

Yes. Fire him. So tired of excuses for this man. As far as who else could come in and coach, hire the freakin Daniel HS Basketball Coach. He couldn’t do any worse, and Clemson could pay him a heck of a lot less to be less than average.

Could do a lot worse.***

Dec 23, 2019, 11:11 AM

Worse than last place?***

Dec 23, 2019, 5:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link to the seasons we’ve finished last in the ACC under Brownell?

Dec 24, 2019, 3:17 PM

This is the kind of nonsense that has to stop. Some of you act like we are a cellar dweller in the ACC under Brad, and that simply isn’t the case.

In fact, we are far from it. Our average finish under Brad is 7th-8th in the ACC, which is clearly middle of the pack.

If you want better than that, great! So do I. But I suggest we give him more time to enjoy the adequate facilities and reasonable coaching staff budget, both of which he has only had for the last two seasons. As I’m sure you can see, during that span we’ve won 20 games both years, including a Sweet 16 team that was one of our best ever, plus a top 30 recruiting class coming in next year.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

JK - I admire you and your conviction, but just can’t agree.

Dec 24, 2019, 8:21 PM

Yes, the numbers are supposedly there. But those of us around for many years, (60+) have never seen the ACC this weak. The bottom half of the acc is really bad. We went from possibly upsetting one of the top 2-3 to not even being competitive with them.
No superstar talent. Not even being developed.
A boring style that sucks the life out of the gym.
Tony at UVA does the same, but they win.
After 10 years, we rely on transfers, not development. Why?
Do SOMETHIING - ANYTHING!
Press the entire game. Play 5 guards. Play 4 bigs and a guard. Do something. What is being done is and has not been working for years. At least bring some excitement.
Yes, we made the sweet 16. Great. Well, wofford has beaten UNC in chapel hill twice in 3 years. Those are history. Where are we going? How will we get there.? 10 years and what do we have? Another series of wait untils?
People not in the seats, people not watching on TV. Announcers struggling to say anything positive at all. 19 points in a half against a team that does not give athletic scholarships. Sad part, the 19 is not shocking.

Judge - I admire your strength and conviction. I have a simple measuring stick. Are we better off than when he took over - 10 years ago? I cannot say yes to either the past 10 years, the current team, or our future.
Could we hire a coach that does not do better? Perhaps, but lord, give me something to hope for, something to believe in.

Seriously????!!!!

Dec 23, 2019, 11:16 AM

First of all, I support all our coaches until I feel the need that keeping them is a detriment to Clemson. And at this point, I believe we've given him all the support that he needed to succeed (and he has NOT).

Secondly, as for your comment about "you should’ve known we were gonna be bad this year", that's the kind of garbage that Clemson fans have been forced to accept all these years. I heard these lame excuses when I was a student, and I'm still hearing these excuses now that I'm raising kids of my own. We're tired of it. I'd like to know what you're on to if you honestly believe that brownell deserves 2 more years. You must be a chicken fan. Let's not make this like our women's team where DRad found a reason to extend Smith's contract. Geez!

Lastly, it's disturbing to me that a school like louisville right now has a top 5 baseball program, top 5 men's and women's basketball program, and seriously working on their football program. We might want to get our act in the other programs. This is pathetic.

I truly believe DRad is not really interested in improving the other programs because he has the shiny object called the football program to help detract the attention.

Clemson fans deserve better.

Re: To fire Brownell or not? Let's see the List

Dec 23, 2019, 11:20 AM

I am a CFB guy and no very little about hoops. I have listened to wccp tell about recruiting struggles and disadvantages we have vs the rest of the conference. After many years of waiting it is apparent that Coach B is not growing the program but rather trying to fill holes via transfers w/ inconsistent results. His recruiting classes do not develope into decent players. That used to not be the case with guys like KC Rivers and Bobby Buckets.

There was a comment earlier with a list of potential replacement coaches none of whom I know but for those that a CBB fans post a list and expound why each coach would be a better fit and more capable of turning this team around to respectability. I can accept that we are not Duke and Carolina, but we should be able to compete with all but the top 12-15 programs in the nation as this is a priority BB Conference.

Dec 23, 2019, 11:36 AM

That's not even a question. How much failure can u stand? He is NOT the coach most of you thinks he is. He would do well at a high school or maybe a Jr College--That's all he is capable of. He just does not have the go-nads to man up and resign. He will continue to bleed us until he finally gets the the heave ho.

Took us to Sweet 16 two years ago. Then 20-14 and 9-9

Dec 23, 2019, 11:42 AM

last year.

I’m just torn on whether a new guy would do better. Stick with Brownell and we will be good next year and maybe real good in two years.

that record means nothing when you take that veteran team

Dec 23, 2019, 11:53 AM

and not make the NCAA's while losing in the 2nd round of the NIT. That should have been enough. The sweet 16 of the previous was due almost solely to Gabe Devoe getting super hot at the right time. Our teams consistently lack basic fundamentals and confidence. The same issues pop up every single year.

Smoke and mirrors....this train is going

Dec 26, 2019, 12:41 AM [ in reply to Took us to Sweet 16 two years ago. Then 20-14 and 9-9 ]

Nowhere fast. Glad the Judge showed up and he will be busy putting lipstick on this pig all season. There are numerous better coaches biting at the bit for an opportunity to coach basketball using our football team's success as a springboard.

Re: Took us to Sweet 16 two years ago. Then 20-14 and 9-9

Dec 26, 2019, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Took us to Sweet 16 two years ago. Then 20-14 and 9-9 ]

I'm torn for a slightly different reason. I believe in standing by your decisions and I see no way that this was not a 2 year decision. I agree that it was unlikely to be a good year and think last year was the perfect time to cut ties. I am disappointed that DRad did not but think I would be more disappointed in him if he didn't have enough confidence in his decision to stick to it.

I hope that I am wrong but I am skeptical that our freshman guards and big men recruits can turn things around before they get more experience. I think things get better but that isn't saying much. I would prefer that people wait until the end of the season for the talk, but understand why they don't. Thankfully, I am confident that I have almost 3 weeks before I have much concern about it.

Of course we don't fire Brownell without having

Dec 23, 2019, 11:41 AM

some idea of who his replacement will be or at least putting out some feelers to see who might be available. That would be standard practice, I would assume. At the very least, a list of potential candidates should already be made or be made immediately. I don't expect anything official until after the season, but the wheels should be turning now. This year, in year 10 of his tenure, is inexcusable and should be unacceptable to any school that is serious about basketball. I hope you are joking about this being a rebuilding year; what are we rebuilding to - the team that got knocked out of the NIT early? Good lawd, if we could only rise to those heights again! In year 10, there should be no "rebuilding" or off year in a good basketball program.

- H. L. Mencken

Building to 16 or 8 finish in two years. Sweet 16 two years

Dec 23, 2019, 11:44 AM

ago and 20-14, 9-9 last year.

Last year was a real disappointment, any way you

Dec 23, 2019, 11:51 AM

look at it. Sweet 16 was great, but that's one real NCAA appearance in 9 years (with his own players). Other than that, we're consistently mid pack under Brownell. We average a 7th place finish in conference under Brownell. Mediocrity at best. He's had 10 years now, we know what to expect.

- H. L. Mencken

I’ve said it before - I’m in favor of self-coach with a team trainer driving the bus. Nothing to lose. Why pretend the coach is a factor?

This decision is the equivalent of a 3 inch putt. The sad part is this putt has been lined up for the last 5 years.

Dec 23, 2019, 11:48 AM

It is this attitude that helps prolong the sorry state of affairs we now endure with Brad B. that same,old pathetic excuse:"who we gonna get?" That is precisely what our seemingly unconcerned AD is being paid to handle. If he(Dan Rad.) had not mysteriously extended BB's contract TWICE, we would now be on our way to filling up Littlejohn with an exciting, young coach. Other schools are getting it done-why not Clemson? If Dabo thought the way you do, would we be where we are today? Don't think so.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a Clemson basketball fan, all I expect is hope.

Dec 23, 2019, 12:08 PM

The Brown L does not offer that, and hasn't for some time. It's just that simple.

A big Q that's often thrown out by the bball "experts" on the T-Nets is "Who could Clemson get that would be better than Brownell?" I don't think anyone knows off hand exactly who that would be, but there are surely at least 40 potential candidates in the world of college coaching that could be a good fit and be an improvement, or at least offer some hope. Possibly more than 40. To believe otherwise is folly, and for the Brown L loyalists to throw out the "Who then?" questions is just deflection.

I'd much rather face the next five years with uncertainty over how successful the program could be, but with a sense of a hope, than another five years mirroring the last decade - which is exactly what we are in store for if we hold the status quo. Considering the last extension and buyout, though, Brown L will likely be here at minimum until the end of the 2020-2021 season.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the only plan we have is to fire Brownell I am all for it***

Dec 23, 2019, 12:13 PM

How about bringing back Rick Barnes?

Dec 23, 2019, 12:17 PM

Barnes' teams were always exciting to watch (and reached a #3 ranking at one point!!) and I'll never forget his standing up to Dean Smith! :)

Rick did a great job for Clemson but wanted to leave so his kids could grow up in a bigger city. If they're grown up now, why not bring him back for an encore?

Barnes wouldn't leave UT, now. Would hire him in

Dec 23, 2019, 2:23 PM

a minute.

Dec 23, 2019, 12:20 PM

Isn't anyone available good enough?

10 freaking years and this is still a question?!!!***

Dec 23, 2019, 12:56 PM

Dec 23, 2019, 2:42 PM

It was obvious after year 3 that he wasn’t going to be successful. The team quit on him coming off a year where we were too good for the CBI. Had DRad not given him a massive buyout after winning a couple of NIT games, we would have been smart and hired a good coach for the Greenville year and get recruiting going. Mike White would have been perfect before Florida plucked him. We should have gotten Will Wade in 2017, but DRad wasn’t planning on us to collapse vs Oakland so he was ill prepared.

Clemson should be consistently in or receiving votes for Top 25. Anyone who can’t do that (Brownell, Shyatt) should be gone. We have no business losing to mid majors and 1 bid league teams.

Dec 23, 2019, 4:54 PM

You are spot on

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Yeah, I say give him another decade.

Dec 23, 2019, 4:52 PM

By then anybody we hire will look better.

To fire***

Dec 23, 2019, 4:52 PM

Dec 23, 2019, 5:19 PM

I think Brad Brownell is a fine man and has been been an excellent representative for Clemson University. It is immature and childish to call him a moron or say he sucks regardless of his W-L record. Quite frankly, I had rather have him, and his record, than some of the low character coaches that we have seen at other schools ..... some unfortunately still employed.

That said, I am disappointed at our lack of success and what I think is lack of development of our players. I see the same mistakes year after year. A couple of years where we lost a bunch of games by 3 or so points, most of those games were winnable. It seems like there was one game we could have won by just getting the ball in bounds with a couple of seconds left. I have to assume that Brad's assistant coaches are not up to snuff and the ones that were soon leave. I think we need some new blood in the program that will bring enthusiasm from both players and fans. I just don't know how much longer we can continue of this same path.

His buyout drops substantially this year

Dec 23, 2019, 7:50 PM

I say renegotiate a settlement with him and move him in to administration. He's a good guy, loves Clemson. If we wants to coach down the road again, more power to him. You have to think a year or two break would be good for him.

But as for our coach, time to move on

Re: His buyout drops substantially this year

Dec 23, 2019, 11:56 PM

I was going to suggest the same thing! Great idea.

Amen***

Dec 24, 2019, 10:31 AM [ in reply to His buyout drops substantially this year ]

Brownell has to go

Dec 26, 2019, 5:27 PM [ in reply to His buyout drops substantially this year ]

at the end of this season. Period.

I agree. This is a very reasonable approach.

Dec 24, 2019, 9:50 AM

Many people here want a change without thinking through the reality of the situation.

Unless there is a coach we feel possesses the coaching, recruiting, ethics, and love for Clemson we want, then I would prefer to give Brad this year plus another 1-2 to see how things go.

The Judge is back!!

Dec 24, 2019, 9:57 AM

Many people here want a change without thinking through the reality of the situation.

Unless there is a coach we feel possesses the coaching, recruiting, ethics, and love for Clemson we want, then I would prefer to give Brad this year plus another 1-2 to see how things go.

Where you been?!?! But no way man...

judge - playful question

Dec 24, 2019, 8:38 PM [ in reply to I agree. This is a very reasonable approach. ]

What industry do you work in? Would your boss accept no improvement in 10 years for you? Mine would not.
Where I manage - if you are not in the TOP TIER of results within 3-5 years max - you are clearly the wrong guy. Either the job is too big for the man or the man is too small for the job.
For any of my plants or companies, I/we - do not accept lack of Improvement. To steps forward, 1 back - ok.
After 10 years, what do you see that says we are really close to being winning the ACC? Going to a final 4?
I don’t accept excuses in my work, I don’t see why we need to in the business world of basketball.
Maybe it is a good thing I am retiring this coming year. The acceptance of failure is beyond me.
IMO anyway.

I don’t think it’s fair to expect an employee to achieve at a high level

Dec 25, 2019, 1:37 PM

when he hasn’t been given what he needs to be successful. I don’t believe Brad had what he truly needs from the administration until a couple of years ago.

Make no mistake, the new arena and increased budget for assistants and support staff we finally got don’t put us anywhere close to the big time ACC programs, but they at least put us in the realm of average in the conference. Interestingly, Brad was already finishing middle of the pack with administrative support among the worst in the ACC.

It’s silly to expect big time success in basketball while being unwilling to support the program consistently (that means money and showing up to games). Many of our fans are already upset that we spent “so much“ on the facilities and coaching contracts, even though it really wasn’t an unreasonable amount. That’s a huge disconnect IMO.

Winning 20 games each of the past two years, including being above .500 in the ACC, having a top 30 recruiting class for next year, and seeing our program represent Clemson very well on the court and in the classroom gives me confidence in what Brad can do, to the point that I’d like to give him this year and next, and possibly the year after that. I think that’s fair.

I don’t think Brad is perfect, and I don’t think he should be given a pass if he doesn’t win. But he has done a fairly good job given the above circumstances and in context of Clemson’s basketball history. He’s about to become our all time winningest coach, after all.

Re: I don’t think it’s fair to expect an employee to achieve at a high level

Dec 25, 2019, 8:02 PM

Brad Brownell is not a grocery clerk making minimum wage working a cash register without register tape. He is paid millions to run the Clemson basketball program. Part of the job is negotiating what he needs to make that job happen. I notice you dodge the fact that Dabo redirected his salary into assistant salaries early in tenure. I guess Brownell is too good for that thing? Or perhaps your hero isn’t quite as invested as you believe and is just happy cashing a paycheck as long as we’re willing to write it.

142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Brad has sacrificed a lot for the program, including raises for himself at times.

Dec 26, 2019, 11:06 AM

Dabo isn’t the only Clemson coach who has done that.

Re: Brad has sacrificed a lot for the program, including raises for himself at times.

Dec 26, 2019, 12:49 PM

Please link me a single article indicating any such thing. Every new contract he has signed, including the one that reduced his buyout, included a raise and escalators for every subsequent season.

Raise would’ve been more but he asked that those funds go toward support staff instead.***

Dec 26, 2019, 1:26 PM

Re: Raise would’ve been more but he asked that those funds go toward support staff instead.***

Dec 26, 2019, 2:29 PM

so you can't provide a link? just personal information you got from Brad?

Quite honestly, it isn’t worth my time to search for it.

Dec 26, 2019, 10:55 PM

You are clearly anti-Brad and no amount of discussion on the topic is going to change your mind. I’m honestly not sure why you continue responding to my posts.

Agree to disagree.

Re: Quite honestly, it isn’t worth my time to search for it.

Dec 27, 2019, 11:00 AM

I keep responding to you because you have engaged in a multi-year propaganda effort on behalf of a coach whose shelf life expired long ago. You also consistently state falsehoods in that effort and should be called on it. You challenged my assertion that Brownell has not specifically directed his own compensation into the resources you claim he needs to be succesful. If you have any proof you should offer it gladly.

According to USA Today Brad Brownell enters this season as the 29th highest paid coach in college basketball. That places him in the top 10 % of D1 basketball coach. By ranking Brownell has only achieved that metric once in his carerer. I can’t imagine even you would argue he is In the upper 10% of active coaches in the country. You are alleging that Brad has accepted less money than was offered to boost his support staff. It would logically follow that you are asserting that Radakovich was offering to make him even higher than 29th best paid coach. Just how much money did Brownell redirect. Are you alleging the Radakovich offered to make Brownell the 25th best paid coach in America? A mere $100,000 more (not much when spread among assistants) would vault Brownell to 23rd highest paid coach. Do you think that would be fitting compensation for this coach? Your assertion doesn’t hold much water. Scott Drew - a coach you said would never consider working for Clemson - only makes $250,000 more. I think most fans would agree that spending that small amount extra on a coach of Scott Drew’s caliber would be a worthy investment rather than continuing to escalate the salary of a coach with middling returns into the stratosphere of college basketball.

Tolerance for a decade of this type of basketball is what is killing Clemson basketball, not a lack of fans willing to support a serious basketball program. What we have currently is not one.

Re: judge - playful question

Dec 26, 2019, 1:01 PM [ in reply to judge - playful question ]

The thing with basketball that makes it a little different from your example is the corruption in the sport.

I am assuming Brad runs a clean program, so are we at a disadvantage? Take the example of Zion. We know Kansas was on a wiretap offering Zion large money to play there. When we wiffed on Zion lots of people were saying brad is not a good recruiter. But brad had no shot if that much money was in play.

We also know that louisville forfeited a NC for cheating. And how many schools were caught in that witetap sting? Probably only scratching the surface.

So its hard for me to say he had everything he needs and is on a level playing field with all of the coaches. ?????

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree. This is a very reasonable approach.

Dec 26, 2019, 11:21 AM [ in reply to I agree. This is a very reasonable approach. ]

"Give him 1-2 more years." How many years have we been saying this about CBB? Let Ronald Reagan chime on this one. "Are you better off now than you were 10 years ago." There has been no material improvement in our program while Brad has been the coach. None. Zero. Nunca. Null. How can you NOT make a change. The unknown is less risk that sticking with terminal mediocrity. If the next guy comes in and stinks it up, what has Clemson really lost? We suck now. It's not like if the next guy sucks we are missing out on all the tourney games Brad gets us too.

College basketball is all about recruiting. If you can't do that, you can't win. Period.

T'would be a far far better thing we do, than we have ever

Dec 24, 2019, 11:19 AM

done. :(

coot***

Dec 24, 2019, 6:16 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2019, 12:34 AM

I would have fired Brownell two or three seasons ago. If you are not winning enough, out you go. Look at women's basketball for inspiration.

AGAIN, he needs to hire an OFFENSE Coordinator !!!

Dec 29, 2019, 1:52 PM

Swallow your pride Coach B, you know D but Offense ? Not so much ...

And now the Song !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnrNV_7qc5M

fred

Replies: 77
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic