Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Herbstreit says Clemson could have scored 50+ against Gamecocks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

TNET: Herbstreit says Clemson could have scored 50+ against Gamecocks

Nov 28, 2017, 1:09 PM

Herbstreit says Clemson could have scored 50+ against Gamecocks

The famous 'Never again' mantra by Gamecock players turned into 'again' as Clemson dominated 34-10 on Saturday night. It appears that the Tigers are going to ha Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i dont think we could

Nov 28, 2017, 1:14 PM

our offense went into its standard second half auto pilot mode after the renfrow td..for some reason they tend to bog down after half time

Am I to assume kirk didn't watch the game until the next day

Nov 28, 2017, 1:20 PM

and made his to 4 after he saw the scores? This is why DW4 didn't win the heisman last year b/c of writers watching stats instead of games. He at least did his homework.

Tighten up Kirk. We'll give ya more to talk about soon.

Re: Am I to assume kirk didn't watch the game until the next day

Nov 28, 2017, 5:40 PM

Kirk was calling the Stanford /Notre Dame game I believe. He made his 4 picks on air near end of the game.

They dont bog down.

Nov 28, 2017, 1:38 PM [ in reply to i dont think we could ]

They change the play calling and let non starters slowly trickle in. That is a huge difference in bogging down. Syracuse... offense was bogged down some.

I believe Cuse and most of the other games was a combination

Nov 28, 2017, 2:00 PM

of substituting and play calling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i dont think we could

Nov 28, 2017, 2:04 PM [ in reply to i dont think we could ]

That is only bc of Tony playing around with the plays that he wants to look at, and he has done that to a fault I think this entire season after we got a comfortable lead in the second half!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2017, 6:07 PM

He has done that all year. Instead of calling plays that work and keep drives going and what the defense gives us, he goes haywire. We should score 40-50+ pts every game.

Nov 28, 2017, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Re: i dont think we could ]

We had 4 drives in the 2nd half with our starters still in. We scored a touchdown on 2 of those drives, and the 4th one ended with an INT after we had gained 30 yards on the drive.

In fact, we only had one more full drive in the game as our final drive ended up running the remaining clock out to end the game. On that drive with our backups in we drove to the South Carolina 22 and had gained a 1st down at the 10, but it was called back due to a holding call which put us at 2nd and 20 at the 32. We then had a chance at a touchdown on the 4th down play, but Johnson floated the ball and it was intercepted.

So we basically had 5 drives in the 2nd half, scored touchdowns on 2 of them, drove to the opponents 22 on a 13 play drive that ate up over 6 minutes with our backups in that was stalled due to a penalty, and had another drive ended due to a turnover. Where exactly was the poor playcalling? Of course we got a bit more conservative, we were up 34-0 at the end of 3.

You are not following the agenda of bad play calling

Nov 28, 2017, 8:16 PM

posters. The ones complaining about the substituting would be screaming if a starter got hurt up 30-0 or we were doing poorly next year at a position that we played the starters with a 30-0 lead this year. Bank it!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2017, 6:35 PM [ in reply to i dont think we could ]

We scored 14 points in the 3rd quarter and were up 34-0 entering the 4th. I think Bryant played 1 snap in the 4th which was the INT. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say we could have put up another 16 in the 4th had we really wanted to, which is what Kirk was pretty much saying.

That's kind of the point.

Nov 28, 2017, 7:40 PM [ in reply to i dont think we could ]

The COULD have scored 50.

They just chose to protect or 1st stringers and let some freshman have some fun.

Nov 30, 2017, 6:36 PM [ in reply to i dont think we could ]

... said Boston College.

We go into bog down mode because we play 70+ guys. If Dabo hadn't done the same thing last year we wouldn't be sitting in this position now.

"50+" is putting it lightly.

Nov 28, 2017, 1:27 PM

Personally, I think we could have broken GT's record:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1916_Cumberland_vs._Georgia_Tech_football_game

Re: TNET: Herbstreit says Clemson could have scored 50+ against Gamecocks

Nov 28, 2017, 1:36 PM

Nobody, but nobody has sandbagged like Clemson.

Mind, I don't believe for one second Dabo deliberately holds down his victory margins because he's playing possum, or because he's got an overdeveloped sense of fairness or sportsmanship, or any such.

He's doing it because I think he doesn't care diddly about style points. He has consistently shown he wants to do the following:
1) Win the game
2) Minimize wear and tear on the starters, and get them out ASAP to save them for the next rodeo
3) Play as many young guys as possible, and get them reps in key situations where the game is still in doubt so they are ready to contribute when called upon in the future
4) SHOW as little as possible so the next team doesn't have a phone book full of film and isn't ready for every wrinkle you're going to pull out....

...and oh, yeah...
5) Let the other guy save his face. People remember when you blow them out and run up the score. Which can come around in a variety of fashions - next year, on the recruiting trail, professionally. Do you think, say, Steve Addazio there at BC would ever consent to work for Bobby Petrino? But if he were available when Robbie Caldwell retires in a couple years, I'd love to have Addazio as our OC coach...and I strongly suspect he would take the job, just based on the way Dabo treats people and the way he plays the game.

Whatever, though, it's just not in Dabo's DNA to run up the score just to run up the score.

All these blowouts Oklahoma has participated in this year seem a whole lot like, well, insecurity to me.

How well did they manage their roster and their starters's minutes? How much quality experience did they really get their backups? How many healthy, quality players can they call upon, now that December is upon us? That'll determine how far the contenders go....

Nov 28, 2017, 2:03 PM

TU for you. I've thought the same thing for a while now.

Why would he quit a HC job he is doing good at to drop back down to OL coach***

Nov 28, 2017, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Herbstreit says Clemson could have scored 50+ against Gamecocks ]

Re: Why would he quit a HC job he is doing good at to drop back down to OL coach***

Nov 28, 2017, 2:33 PM

Could have easily scored more. 2ND and 3rd string came in 3rd quarter.

Nov 28, 2017, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Herbstreit says Clemson could have scored 50+ against Gamecocks ]

To validate your point on OU, here are some individual stats particularly about Baker Mayfield

Attempts: 346/374 = 92.5%
Completions: 247/270 = 91.5%
Yards: 4097/4533 = 90.4%
TD: 37/40 = 92.5%

All of these stats by Mayfield account for over 90% of OU's passing offense as a team in each category. I think you are spot on. With a defense like OU's, I'd be feeling very insecure.

^^^^^^ Post of the Day!***

Nov 28, 2017, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Herbstreit says Clemson could have scored 50+ against Gamecocks ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nail it!

Nov 28, 2017, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Herbstreit says Clemson could have scored 50+ against Gamecocks ]

My short version is Dabo has an in-game management, season game management and long-term management.

Many teams fail close to the end of the season after their starters got worn down as the season progresses or if their valuable starters go down. Dabo understands this and he rotates guys in. This may frustrate some people as some games it’s closer than it should be or we got unexpected losses like Syracuse or Pittsburgh, but we now know he’s got us to the ultimate goal—national title.

Look at how Alabama lost one game that matters and now is likely out of the race. On the other hand, we’re now in prime condition for the championship game.

Nov 28, 2017, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Herbstreit says Clemson could have scored 50+ against Gamecocks ]

We have kept teams in the game instead of putting the pedal to the metal. Put it out of reach and then substitute.

Nov 28, 2017, 7:06 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Herbstreit says Clemson could have scored 50+ against Gamecocks ]

I don't think very many coaches run up the score. I think most times when you see an extreme margin of victory it's due to several turnovers by the other team, and/or the other team quitting.

Nov 28, 2017, 1:49 PM

HEY TODD ELLIS PUT THIS IN YOU PIPE AND SMOKE IT INSTEAD OF THE UTTER CR*P YOU TRIED TO SMOKE LAST FRIDAY.....

NEVER AGAIN YOU SAY...... WELL, WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR PAL!!!!!!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let them continue to talk. Great incentive for next year.

Nov 28, 2017, 8:20 PM

They never learn!

Well it was Close, They went from "Never Again" to

Nov 28, 2017, 1:58 PM

"OH $h1t, NOT AGAIN"

yeah we could have, but we had the game won...

Nov 28, 2017, 2:03 PM

and got plenty of playing time for younger players, were able to give rest to some starters and ended the game faster while not risking injury

Re: yeah we could have, but we had the game won...

Nov 28, 2017, 2:25 PM

Which is why we reload instead of taking a step back. Practice is nice, but getting in a real game with players who really want to stop you, beat you helps in getting meaningful experience to be ready for next year. Not to mention gives us film on them where they can see their mistakes and learn from them.

Closing the gap

Nov 28, 2017, 2:30 PM

Last year, we scored 56 and could have scored 80.

So, yeah, I guess the gap IS closing, after all. :)

Re: Closing the gap

Nov 28, 2017, 7:07 PM

Last season was perhaps the only time I saw a score of 56-7 and thought the game wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated.

You have to give the Coot student section credit!

Nov 28, 2017, 2:40 PM

They were the best defense the Coot's had all night. In the fourth quarter Clemson didn't even try to score for fear of getting someone hurt by thrown bottles in that end zone.

Re: You have to give the Coot student section credit!

Nov 29, 2017, 10:38 AM

That can't be it. There was nobody left in the student section in the 4th quarter.

Re: You have to give the Coot student section credit!

Nov 29, 2017, 10:38 AM [ in reply to You have to give the Coot student section credit! ]

That can't be it. There was nobody left in the student section in the 4th quarter.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic