Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Former NFL coach thinks Mac Jones should be picked before Trevor Lawrence in NFL draft
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

TNET: Former NFL coach thinks Mac Jones should be picked before Trevor Lawrence in NFL draft

Jan 29, 2021, 8:58 AM

Former NFL coach thinks Mac Jones should be picked before Trevor Lawrence in NFL draft

Most people that follow college football think that Trevor Lawrence will be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft. Not former NFL head coach June Jones. Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mac Jones is the next Blaine Gabbert

Jan 29, 2021, 9:05 AM

but not as talented.

Mac Jones is the next Chris Weinke

Jan 29, 2021, 9:27 AM

He's gotta be able to run and create in this league. He'll be a good backup but his bugaboo in teh nfl is he's not going to have a receiver that's head and shoulders better than everyone else, or an Oline that is head and shoulders better than everyone else. And what if his team has no running game like the Texans and its all on him? He hardly got hit or rushed this year. Thats not like its going to be if you go play for Jets or the Jags. You'll be hit early and often. Its Trevor and then a toss up b/t wilson, lance, or fields for #2.

Let's not forget MITCH TRUBINSKY

Jan 29, 2021, 1:50 PM

From recent times.

Re: Let's not forget MITCH TRUBINSKY

Jan 29, 2021, 2:25 PM

And yet I've read several articles all week on why he should be Chicago's pick and how he could get them back to dominance. I hope da beers pick him, I'll lmao.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Taking Jones over TL16 and Fields

Jan 29, 2021, 2:59 PM

is just like taking Tribiski over DW4 and Mahomes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, and June Jones' record of "success" in the........

Jan 29, 2021, 9:06 AM

NFL as a HC just proves how good a judge of player potential he is. So much for what he thinks.

June Jones was a back-up QB for the Falcons over 5 years

Jan 29, 2021, 10:35 AM

from 1977 to 1981. Completing a whopping 75 passes out of 166 attempts for a total of 923 yards.

Not the best expert.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, and June Jones' record of "success" in the........

Jan 29, 2021, 5:45 PM [ in reply to Yeah, and June Jones' record of "success" in the........ ]

A pull quote on June Jones:
"Worst coach in America" June Jones now coaching Canada's worst team
The Comeback · 8/24/2017

Had some success in Hawaii, resigned in a 1-11 season at SMU, and his first season was 1-11 as well.
Terrible judge of talent and poor recruiter. 'Nuff said'
I think everyone else is right about Trevor. I have watched June's career for 35 years, in Houston, Atlanta, Hawaii and SMU (Dallas). His only real success was in Hawaii. He should have stayed there!

Re: TNET: Former NFL coach thinks Mac Jones should be picked before Trevor Lawrence in NFL draft

Jan 29, 2021, 9:12 AM

22-36 0-1 NFL Head Coaching record should tell you all you need to know about June Jones.
The only other people I know named June are female actresses(Lockhart and Allison).
That should tell you all you need to know about his choice.

June, June, June. You obviously sipped WAY too much

Jan 29, 2021, 9:23 AM

pineapple schnapps when you were coaching the Hawaii Rainbows. I always herd that stuff caused brayne damage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Former NFL coach thinks Mac Jones should be picked before Trevor Lawrence in NFL draft

Jan 29, 2021, 9:24 AM

Don't spend your check until you get it. There are a few players that will get huge checks regardless of whether they are drafted 1st or 5th.

Too bad June wasn’t the Jets coach last year...

Jan 29, 2021, 9:25 AM

He woulda secured 0-16 and got his pick.

~JKB

Re: Too bad June wasn’t the Jets coach last year...

Jan 29, 2021, 10:00 AM

I bet that it would've been Trevor Lawrence, or he would have gotten his last check from the Jets!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 9:27 AM

He's maybe number 4. There is no way a GM in there right mind would take him over Lawrence, Fields, or Trey Lance.

“Former” coach??***

Jan 29, 2021, 9:28 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: “Former” coach??***

Jan 29, 2021, 10:06 AM

There you go, Former, and if he would have been that good at choosing players, the NFL wouldn't be looking in the college ranks for HC's, they would be offering June Jones those positions, nuff said about June Jones, and his opinion. NFL teams are lucky that he isn't picking players for them!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 9:38 AM

Ask Chicago what they think.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Jan 29, 2021, 9:40 AM

Mac Jones had a heisman winning receiver and a beast running back that played, for the most part, inferior teams with weak secondaries, IMO he isn't really THAT good!!

Jan 29, 2021, 9:40 AM

Crump, seriously-this is someone with an opinion of any weight?? Yes Mac Jones is a good QB with a good OL and a running game. 2020 was a lot of Trevor and Trevor's legs, poor running game and poor pass protection which points back to not so good OL. Where do they dig these guys up for opinions?
Trevor is in an elite class of QB's. Jones comments are pitiful.

SOOO this is a guy who gets an article because of his obvious QB skills. Full Coaching History is REALLY impressive. To be fair, he had a good run at Hawaii

Glossary
Year Age Level Employer Role
1983 30 College Hawaii QB Coach
1984 31 USFL Houston Gamblers WR Coach
1985 32 USFL Denver Gold Offensive Coordinator
1986 33 CFL Ottawa Rough Riders Offensive Coordinator
1987 34 NFL Houston Oilers QB Coach
1988 35 NFL Houston Oilers QB Coach
1989 36 NFL Detroit Lions QB/WR Coach
1990 37 NFL Detroit Lions QB/WR Coach
1991 38 NFL Atlanta Falcons Offensive Coordinator
1992 39 NFL Atlanta Falcons Offensive Coordinator
1993 40 NFL Atlanta Falcons Offensive Coordinator
1994 41 NFL Atlanta Falcons Head Coach
1995 42 NFL Atlanta Falcons Head Coach
1996 43 NFL Atlanta Falcons Head Coach
1998 45 NFL San Diego Chargers Head Coach
1999 46 College Hawaii Head Coach
2000 47 College Hawaii Head Coach
2001 48 College Hawaii Head Coach
2002 49 College Hawaii Head Coach
2003 50 College Hawaii Head Coach
2004 51 College Hawaii Head Coach
2005 52 College Hawaii Head Coach
2006 53 College Hawaii Head Coach
2007 54 College Hawaii Head Coach
2008 55 College SMU Head Coach
2009 56 College SMU Head Coach
2010 57 College SMU Head Coach
2011 58 College SMU Head Coach
2012 59 College SMU Head Coach
2013 60 College SMU Head Coach
2014 61 College SMU Head Coach
2016 63 High School Kapolei HS Offensive Coordinator
2017 64 CFL Hamilton Tiger-Cats Head Coach
2018 65 CFL Hamilton Tiger-Cats Head Coach
2020 67 XFL Houston Roughnecks Head Coach

***And one winning season in the NFL,9-7 Atl Falcons 1995

Jan 29, 2021, 10:10 AM

Impressive huh, NOT!!!

Jan 29, 2021, 9:42 AM

Former NFL coach...hum...go figure!!

Did the TN-Vols know this guy was avalible?

Jan 29, 2021, 9:45 AM

Sound's like he'd have been a great fit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good advice if you’re a GM looking to have more free time in two years.***

Jan 29, 2021, 9:50 AM

null

Jan 29, 2021, 9:51 AM

The operative words here ... Former Coach. 'Nuff said.

Why June is NOT coaching in the NFL

Jan 29, 2021, 10:02 AM

LIKE: "However, this type of poor scouting looking past Lawrence as a generational talent might be why June coached last season in the XFL and the Spring League instead of the NFL."

Jan 29, 2021, 10:16 AM

It do seem that SI.com had to much time at idle, and Crump was looking for something funny to post this morning, both filled their needs!!! +1 Crump

"Thanks Uncle June!"

Jan 29, 2021, 10:20 AM

Mac Jones was quoted as saying after hearing this story.

Beat me to it, dangit!***

Jan 29, 2021, 10:51 AM

That's why he's a "former head coach"***

Jan 29, 2021, 10:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 10:26 AM

Please note former. It speaks volumes. He is just trying to get noticed with this

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 11:45 AM

When you want to get noticed, saying stupid chit is a good way to get that done. But I think that he believes what he is saying, and that is exactly why he is Former NFL HC!!!!

Didn't June end his coaching career

Jan 29, 2021, 10:55 AM

by taking SMU to even lower places than when they got the death penalty?

Jan 29, 2021, 11:06 AM

"However, this type of poor scouting looking past Lawrence as a generational talent might be why June coached last season in the XFL and the Spring League instead of the NFL"...

^^THIS^^^

How did he do at Hawaii and SMU?..

??????

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 11:14 AM

I think that I read somewhere that his coaching ranking was some like 100,000 so he must really be a knowledgeable guy,

Jan 29, 2021, 11:27 AM

Thanks June Jones! ROTFLMAO

Jan 29, 2021, 11:33 AM

I guess ego requires these guys to make such over the top claims. I am sure Mac Jones is probably the best QB at the senior bowl, but would he be making such a claim if Trevor was there? We all know he wouldn't. I doubt he has done any analysis on Trevor specifically to be able to compare him to Jones.

Its irritating! Just say he is the best QB here at the Senior Bowl.

It is apparent that owners and their coaches

Jan 29, 2021, 11:49 AM

Are not the brightest tools in the shed. It's that type of thinking that led to several teams passing on DW. Turbisky? Really? It baffles me that they make such poor judgement. I'm not even in this business and I can see how pathetic the decision making is. Just look at the Browns history of QB selections. I could do a better job than that!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 12:15 PM

I think he is totally right. I think TL is the 24th best player in this draft and should only be a 24th pick.

Jan 29, 2021, 12:20 PM

He forgot the freshman who torched Alabama 44-16 against the best defense ever!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jan 29, 2021, 1:17 PM

You can not compare two QB that are playing behind two different O Lines, and for that nutcase to do so and state that Mac Jones is better, is the exact reason he isn't a HC. If anybody was to ever hire him as a HC again with his past HC-ing record, they should be fired on the spot. He will not even come close to the definition of being an average college HC!!! And it was a very poor choice for SI to even use a person of such poor qualifications to get a comparison for any player of NFL quality!!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

Jan 29, 2021, 12:31 PM

Assessments like this is probably why he is a "former" coach and not a "current" coach. The NFL ain't Hawaii coach. Also if Lawrence had the o line and receivers that Jones had you wouldn't even know who Mac Jones is. We will see what happens when he has to actually place the ball in a tight window instead of throwing it up or to wide open receivers.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe he will end up in Houston***

Jan 29, 2021, 3:16 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

There is a Reason June Jones is Not Coaching Real FB Anymore

Jan 29, 2021, 1:24 PM

College: 105–81 (.565)
NFL: 22–36 (.379)
CFL: 14–14 (.500)
XFL: 5–0 (1.000)

This data of his coaching history tells you he is an XFL expert.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

June Jones also likes impossible burgers...just sayin'***

Jan 29, 2021, 2:30 PM

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Jan 29, 2021, 2:36 PM

That's why he's a former coach!!!

Explains why June Jones is an Ex-NFL coach***

Jan 29, 2021, 2:39 PM

Jan 29, 2021, 2:53 PM

Pls save us from having to keep up with the Jones’s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are June and Mac related?***

Jan 29, 2021, 3:14 PM

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jan 29, 2021, 3:54 PM

Who really cares what Jones has to say. Why does Tigernet keep running stories about people who do not matter in the NFL anymore saying this person or that person should be picked over Trevor. The other day it was Brett Favre says Devonte Smith should be picked over TL....who cares what these has been have to say.....

Jan 29, 2021, 4:07 PM

His record as a head coach in the NFL is the only thing I need to look at. 22-36 is absolutely horrible. On top of that he isn’t even coaching in the NFL anymore. His last 2 stints were in the power house that is Canadian Football League and XFL. If he knew Xs & Os he’d have some kind of job in the NFL.

Jan 29, 2021, 9:56 PM

June Jones talking about NFL QB's? Really?? I'd be more willing to listen to a 1 legged man tell me who to win a butt kicking contest.

Jan 30, 2021, 9:18 AM

The only explanation for this....he’s Mac Jones’ uncle??

Jan 30, 2021, 12:06 PM

LOL...I bet if he were the GM with the 1st pick he pick TL. That said, not only did he say that Jones was better than Trevor but also said Zac Wilson was (https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-should-keep-sam-darnold-draft-zach-wilson-former-nfl-coach-june-jones)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one think Mac Jones could have a nice NFL career ...

Jan 30, 2021, 8:29 PM

He is a Chase Brice with actual NFL talent who was willing to wait his turn. And he can make all the throws ...

As for Uncle June Jones, he is alone in his views, and Mac played with blocking, play calling, and top 10 receiver talent that Lawrence lacked at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

June Jones is a terrible coach

Jan 31, 2021, 11:19 AM

This makes me laugh out loud. I do worry that Urban the homer Meyer will badger Jacksonville into taking Justine Fields first. I thought he was great as Tootie on Facts of Life but is a mediocre QB at best. I agree he will be a clipboard holder for his entire NFL career. Anyone passing on Lawrence will be a bigger fool than those that drafted Trubisky over DW4! Smh

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic